What's new

Hillary may push for fighter aircraft deal with India

angeldemon_007

Reaction score
New Delhi: New Delhi seems to be bending backwards to explain why two iconic US Fighter aircraft have been left out of the Multi-Role Combat Aircraft Competition to supply fighter jets to India. However, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is expected to push for the fifth generation F-35 on her visit to India.
There could be some American sour grapes over the elimination of two iconic American fighter aircraft from the Indian MMRCA competition, Lockheed's F-16 and Boeing's F-18 Super Hornet, on display when Hillary Clinton begins the strategic dialogue with her Indian counterparts.
The Indian Air Force (IAF) brass apparently bent over backwards to brief senior Lockheed and Boeing representatives last week on why their aircraft were eliminated even though there was no requirement to do so.
The betting is that Hillary Clinton may seek redress and push the case for the Lockheed built fifth generation super stealth F-35 Lightning. Lockheed representatives told journalists the Indian Navy had shown interest and both the navy and the Air Force were demonstrated its capabilities in a simulator.
Retired Air Marshal PS Ahluwalia said, "The JSF is tech of the future and into 5 gen if not beyond. The question is if we get technology in the future for any conflict term or participate in any war fighting capability it will have to be technology that will be outstanding."
Lockheed claims that the basic F-35 could cost as low as $ 65 million, which is cheaper than the $ 85 million for the fourth generation French Rafale and the $ 125 million also for the fourth generation Eurofighter Typhoon, the two aircraft remaining in the MMRCA competition.
"It sounds difficult for me to understand that it will cost only 10-15 million more that the F-16 or F-18," Ahluwalia said.
At this point it is too early to say if the Lightning has any traction in India. Much will depend on how plans for building a fifth generation fighter jointly with Russia develop. But India has to count on America to keep the lightning pot boiling.

Hillary may push for fighter aircraft deal with India - India News - IBNLive

Buying American aircraft now under MMRCA after rejecting them earlier will be a breach of faith towards other contenders.

Besides, Amercian aircraft come with a lot of strings attaches which only reduces the overall value of the deal, that at a time when other bidders are only sweetening their offerings.

We could, though, buy stuff like F-22 or B-2 etc. off the shelf if they are offered o us separately from MMRCA.

Why would India go with F-35, when India has the T-50 project with Russia?

does the F-15 not have a different role? With less weapons will it not be a pure strike fighter? Considers weapons bay can carry less.

Buying American aircraft now under MMRCA after rejecting them earlier will be a breach of faith towards other contenders.

Besides, Amercian aircraft come with a lot of strings attaches which only reduces the overall value of the deal, that at a time when other bidders are only sweetening their offerings.

We could, though, buy stuff like F-22 or B-2 etc. off the shelf if they are offered o us separately from MMRCA.

The F-22 Raptor has an export ban on it,even NATO countries can't acquire them.There are only 20 B-2 Spirit bombers currently in service.They are old and the US plans to replace them with the NGB project.In contrast,the F-35 B would be a nice addition to the Navy with it's VTOL capabilities.Can you imagine F-35,SU-30 MKI and the FGFA flying in formation,would be an awesome sight!!

However, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is expected to push for the fifth generation F-35 on her visit to India.
F-35 for MRCA is not possible now but we can buy them separately.

Lockheed claims that the basic F-35 could cost as low as $ 65 million, which is cheaper than the $ 85 million for the fourth generation French Rafale and the $ 125 million also for the fourth generation Eurofighter Typhoon, the two aircraft remaining in the MMRCA competition.
Is that believable?

The F-22 Raptor has an export ban on it,even NATO countries can't acquire them.There are only 20 B-2 Spirit bombers currently in service.They are old and the US plans to replace them with the NGB project.In contrast,the F-35 B would be a nice addition to the Navy with it's VTOL capabilities.Can you imagine F-35,SU-30 MKI and the FGFA flying in formation,would be an awesome sight!!

I'm sure the B-2 is still far more advanced than anything we have today or can even hope to have for the next decade at least.

As per the F-22, don't tell me it can't be done. Folks said such things even before the nuke deal.

Moral of the story: If the US wants to do it, the US can do it.

As per the F-22, don't tell me it can't be done. Folks said such things even before the nuke deal.

India does not need F-22 when we get FGFA. F-22 denied to UK , Japan and Israel three closest buddies of USA.

I'm sure the B-2 is still far more advanced than anything we have today or can even hope to have for the next decade at least.

Moral of the story: If the US wants to do it, the US can do it.

Dude,the B-2 is currently in junk status.There is a reason why only 20 of them take to the sky.That's why US senators keep pushing for funding for the NGB project.

Umm,Australians and the Israelis tried to acquire the F-22 Raptor and failed.If close allies like them couldn't lay their hands on it,It's a pretty safe bet that we aren't going to get them.

Why would India go with F-35, when India has the T-50 project with Russia?

Both are in different weight categories. T-50 is a heavier fighter aircraft as compared to F-35.

But there's something wrong with the costing here. Last reports i read put the cost of the F-35 at $170 million. The term Basic version is very vague!!!! Although I'm sure we can do our custom modifications like we did with the Su-30's, our vendors in Israel may not be as willing to ruffle some feathers in America.

If we have to buy F-35, then we have to build a base in the middle of Thar desert..then put all american inspectors there( after strip checking and travel restrictions ), away from other sensitive locations. We can do only that much. :D

Both are in different weight categories. T-50 is a heavier fighter aircraft as compared to F-35.

But there's something wrong with the costing here. Last reports i read put the cost of the F-35 at $170 million. The term Basic version is very vague!!!! Although I'm sure we can do our custom modifications like we did with the Su-30's, our vendors in Israel may not be as willing to ruffle some feathers in America.

No Custom modification in F-35.. They did not allow Israel to modify it according to their need..They can modify only the later batches of F-35

No Custom modification in F-35.. They did not allow Israel to modify it according to their need..They can modify only the later batches of F-35

Israel is not getting the basic version. Hence the refusal of permission for them to modify. If they give us the basic model, they can't expect us to be sitting with an expensive but lame duck.
Besides my point was that the only people I see capable of providing upgrades is Israel, which as you pointed out will not do anything without the permission of the USA.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom