What's new

High street hospitality: Lahore Backpackers

Speaking of the Hippie Trail: A personal account. Waaaay back in 1974 my entire family (we five siblings, plus a cousin, plus parents) went to, what we called, 'Murree, Swat'. Somewhere in Swat (probably Band Kalam or Miandam) we spotted an RV (motorhome) near our Rest House, parked in the woods. There were four hippies in that--from Germany! I am fairly sure they were hippies because of colorful clothes and long hairs. Because my father was fluent in German we became friends quickly. They gave us a ride to some nearby town. They wanted to return to Europe and wanted to sell their RV and would, instead, fly back. We begged our dad to buy the RV but we couldn't afford that; if memory serves me correctly: It was around Rs. 13,000-15,000.
The hippies were at ease traveling through Pakistan. It must have been a bargain to them.

Alas, those days are gone. But perhaps Pakistani environment may have benefited from not having too
1974? I went to Swat/Kalam area with my family in 1998, I was a little kid back then. We stayed in Besham for some nights, right next to the mighty Indus. When we used to go out for dinner at the dining hall, we would see loads of RVs parked and people living in them. To me it was fascinating as i saw a home on wheels for the first time. I used to ask my dad why can't we live in them, and he was like, kid, when you grow up, get one.

The RVs were primarily in use by the travelers who would come via Iran, Turkey etc.

What a time it was.

many tourists and perhaps Pakistan should focus on Eco Tourism. Sort of like Bhutan does.

I am glad to see that this Lahore hostel owner has all the right ideas about how to conduct his business while also trying to help Pakistan and it's 'image'.

Speaking of Hippies, I remember seeing a RV in Lakshmi, I was a kid, and the apparently dirty but colorful hippies fascinated me alot, my brother told me they are called Hippies. I didnt like their RV though, and now I so want one of those, make it my home if possible and just travel travel and travel o_O

anyway, back in 90s I remember seeing alot of international tourists on mall road, my brother was in habit to talk with such strangers and invite them to our home for lunch or something, and mostly would agree and as I was shy kid, I would hide behind the door or underneath the bed to avoid seeing them...:lol:

good old days, hope future holds best for our country and people... :pakistan:

What Lahore needs is :

pre-1990-indian-economy-10-728.jpg

What Lahore needs is :

pre-1990-indian-economy-10-728.jpg
Agriculural development as in how? Its an urban city??plz do share ur thoughts.
Also i would add .that mashaAllah lahore is a beautiful city and i have some emotional attachment with it too. The city was ruthless on me yet at the same time kind, it made me cry but taught me great lessons that might stay with me for a long time,khair but i really wish that a lot of urban and town planning work is done specifically in the inner lahore city. Massive infrastructure development,building proper drainage sewage systems, broadening alleys etc.Also plz get rid of 'purana lahore' romanticism cuz hygiene, infrastructure wise in every sense it badly needs revamping.
If i ever get to become punjab's CM i will build inner lahore city like any up to medium scale modern urban colony.
Shamain's dreams par koi mujhay elect hee nahi karta.

ofcourse, its not for everyone, some people spend their whole life trying to be perfect, others are born Lahori !!

2mg4k83.jpg
Wadda nakhra twadda lahoriyon!!!! Ainna uccha na uro. ;P

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom