What's new

Hidden Ocean On Saturn Moon Enceladus Could Support Life

Dem!god

Reaction score
Country
India
6a00d8341bf67c53ef01a51196aff4970c-320wi

It was jut last month that waves were detected on Titan, Saturn's largest moon. Now comes news that NASA's Cassini spacecraft has detected signs of a sea beneath Enceladus, another Saturn moon, "furthering scientific interest in the moon as a potential home to extraterrestrial microbes."

The findings werepublished in the journal Science on April 4.

"The main implication is that there are potentially habitable environments in the solar system in places which are completely unexpected," said Luciano Iess, one of the study's authors, in a video. "Enceladus has a surface temperature of about minus 180 degrees Celsius, but under that surface there exists liquid water."

Space.com says the discovery "confirms suspicions many researchers have had about Enceladus since 2005, when NASA's Cassini spacecraft first spotted ice and water vapor spewing from fractures near the moon's south pole."

The six-mile-deep ocean is hidden beneath Enceladus' ice exterior, which may be as much as 19 to 25 miles thick and, according to NASA, makes Saturn's icy moon one of the "most likely places in our solar system to host microbial life."

"Material from Enceladus’ south polar jets contains salty water and organic molecules, the basic chemical ingredients for life," said Cassini project scientist Linda Spilker in a statement. "Their discovery expanded our view of the 'habitable zone' within our solar system and in planetary systems of other stars. This new validation that an ocean of water underlies the jets furthers understanding about this intriguing environment."

Mars remains an intriguing candidate for life as evidence emerges that the red planet was once covered in water. It could have even had life before Earth did:

Hidden Ocean On Saturn Moon Enceladus Could Support Life - Science Channel : Inscider

@chak de INDIA @Parul @DRAY @cheekybird @levina @Roybot @Indischer @thesolar65 @45'22' @Srinivas

Attack!!
Attack that moon of saturn....after mars saturn is our next destination. 2073 should be the year when we will land on either enceladus or Titan. :-)

Attack!!
Attack that moon of saturn....after mars saturn is our next destination. 2073 should be the year when we will land on either enceladus or Titan. :-)
hmm.....
nooo... we can go to mars....its near and more earthly.......we will be there in next decade or so....
till the time we reach titan..we both will be old...and two old people alone on titan....not a good idea...:p:

so....mars....yes...we are going to MARS....:-)

hmm.....
nooo... we can go to mars....its near and more earthly.......we will be there in next decade or so....
till the time we reach titan..we both will be old...and two old people alone on titan....not a good idea...:p:

so....mars....yes...we are going to MARS....:-)

Btw you're way junior to me.
So I will be older or most probably dead by 2073.

On topic:

How do we cut through this thick layer of ice before getting to the "habitable zone"???
And isnt ice a bad conductor of heat??
So could there be life existing under this thick layer of ice???

Btw you're way junior to me.
So I will be older or most probably dead by 2073.

On topic:

How do we cut through this thick layer of ice before getting to the "habitable zone"???
And isnt ice a bad conductor of heat??
So could there be life existing under this thick layer of ice???
yes uu are older then me.....( now don't tell me u are in ur 40's..:D:D)
but issiliye to maine mars choose kiya.....we both can reach there before our prime ends and and we both will be alive....
ab waha jaa ke mar gaye to ...Game over....:lol::lol:

lol...they are talking abt microbes....single cellular ..so its possible and life may exist there.....
yes ice is bad conductor of heat...but every core is a hot sphere just like earth core..are it may supply enough heat form beneath the ground necessary for the survival of microbes.......who knows...whats going on there....:lol:

but issiliye to maine mars choose kiya.....we both can reach there before our prime ends and and we both will be alive....
:blink:
Heights of flirting!!!

Dem!god said:
lol...they are talking abt microbes....single cellular ..so its possible and life may exist there.....
yes ice is bad conductor of heat...but every core is a hot sphere just like earth core..are it may supply enough heat form beneath the ground necessary for the survival of microbes.......who knows...whats going on there....:lol:
I wasnt expecting complex life forms either.

:blink:
Heights of flirting!!!
what flirting.......
U are my teacher and u promised a educational trip to mars.....:(
(now u don't remember..)
and we both were going......now u are blaming my un intentional innocence remark as flirting.....:cray::cray:

I wasnt expecting complex life forms either.
so, why u confused....

Married women only like married men, period!! :angry::angry::angry:

Married women only like married men, period!! :angry::angry::angry:
okay.....:unsure::unsure:

so the married women like other married men or
the married woman like only their married man....:lol::lol:

BTW ...married women too like single men.......:D:D
if u don't believe me ask any married women.....

6a00d8341bf67c53ef01a51196aff4970c-320wi

It was jut last month that waves were detected on Titan, Saturn's largest moon. Now comes news that NASA's Cassini spacecraft has detected signs of a sea beneath Enceladus, another Saturn moon, "furthering scientific interest in the moon as a potential home to extraterrestrial microbes."

The findings werepublished in the journal Science on April 4.

"The main implication is that there are potentially habitable environments in the solar system in places which are completely unexpected," said Luciano Iess, one of the study's authors, in a video. "Enceladus has a surface temperature of about minus 180 degrees Celsius, but under that surface there exists liquid water."

Space.com says the discovery "confirms suspicions many researchers have had about Enceladus since 2005, when NASA's Cassini spacecraft first spotted ice and water vapor spewing from fractures near the moon's south pole."

The six-mile-deep ocean is hidden beneath Enceladus' ice exterior, which may be as much as 19 to 25 miles thick and, according to NASA, makes Saturn's icy moon one of the "most likely places in our solar system to host microbial life."

"Material from Enceladus’ south polar jets contains salty water and organic molecules, the basic chemical ingredients for life," said Cassini project scientist Linda Spilker in a statement. "Their discovery expanded our view of the 'habitable zone' within our solar system and in planetary systems of other stars. This new validation that an ocean of water underlies the jets furthers understanding about this intriguing environment."

Mars remains an intriguing candidate for life as evidence emerges that the red planet was once covered in water. It could have even had life before Earth did:

Hidden Ocean On Saturn Moon Enceladus Could Support Life - Science Channel : Inscider

@chak de INDIA @Parul @DRAY @cheekybird @levina @Roybot @Indischer @thesolar65 @45'22' @Srinivas

It is only 500 Kms. in diameter and its gravity is .0113g and surface temperature is -180 degree. And it is located in the densest part of the Saturn ring. So whatever water does escape from that inside sea, some falls back as ice and some goes into the ring and same to Saturn itself. The Scientists say that at best most probably ewe can expect some bacterial form of life as the sea touches core of the moon and there Sulfur, Potassium etc. comes in contact with water to form bacteria.

So if we reach there and if we jump then we may end up in the ring. Special suite is needed to remain on the surface and withstand -180 degree. So, I think personally it is not in the interest of humans to go there. There is no intelligent life is out there.

It is only 500 Kms. in diameter and its gravity is .0113g and surface temperature is -180 degree. And it is located in the densest part of the Saturn ring. So whatever water does escape from that inside sea, some falls back as ice and some goes into the ring and same to Saturn itself. The Scientists say that at best most probably ewe can expect some bacterial form of life as the sea touches core of the moon and there Sulfur, Potassium etc. comes in contact with water to form bacteria.

So if we reach there and if we jump then we may end up in the ring. Special suite is needed to remain on the surface and withstand -180 degree. So, I think personally it is not in the interest of humans to go there. There is no intelligent life is out there.

No, but weather is a valuable resource. We can use the hydrogen and reach further in deep space.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom