What's new

Hey Indians - ever saw a saltwater Crocodile?

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I learned today those giants live in India as well. Have you ever seen one? Or pictures from one in the wild?

Awesome animals.

I learned today those giants live in India as well. Have you ever seen one? Or pictures from one in the wild?

Awesome animals.

The biggest ones are found in Australia and Sri Lanka, Salties as they're called are also known as estuary Crocodiles.. Salties are the largest Crocodilians in the world

Crocs are a protected species in Sri Lanka, Killing one can land you in jail for up to 20 years

The biggest ones are found in Australia and Sri Lanka, Salties as they're called are also known as estuary Crocodiles.. Salties are the largest Crocodilians in the world

Crocs are a protected species in Sri Lanka, Killing one can land you in jail for up to 20 years

location doesn;t like like anywhere near sea side.. why is called salt water?? do they live under ocean??

Yes I have seen saltwater Crocs at the Crocodile Bank near Chennai. It is a breeding centre for Crocs and other reptiles and has a few thousand specimens.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madras_Crocodile_Bank_Trust

IMO, there are 3 indeginous species in India - mugger, gharial and saltwater.

Have also seen some giant ones at a reptile centre in Langkawi, Malaysia. And of course, in Australia.

The ones found in India and Sri Lanka are the same species. For the record world's largest crocodile is also an Indian salt water crocodile found in bhitarkanika sanctuary in Orissa. This sanctuary has a reputation for having some of the largest crocodiles in the world.
Also India has three species of crocodiles. Mugger crocodiles and gharial and the salt water crocodiles.
See this list.The worlds largest ever crocodile is found in India and is still alive.
https://ourplnt.com/worlds-5-largest-crocodiles-ever-recorded/

I believe Gustave is the biggest croc in the world. I went to the mangrove islands near Bentota. That's probably fresh water. I believe alligators are there too?

location doesn;t like like anywhere near sea side.. why is called salt water?? do they live under ocean??

They're estuary Crocs, Live mostly in lagoons and estuaries, Occasionally they swim upstrem and sometimes are found far in to the sea

Sri Lanka also has two species the Mugger and Saltwater

I believe Gustave is the biggest croc in the world. I went to the mangrove islands near Bentota. That's probably fresh water. I believe alligators are there too?

What you may have seen are mugger crocs and giant water monitors

The Tropical North of Australia has some of the biggest Salties in the wild

They're estuary Crocs, Live mostly in lagoons and estuaries, Occasionally they swim upstrem and sometimes are found far in to the sea

Holy Shiet.. Fear of Crocodile i never use to swim in the delta side near by place.... i always swim at sea,,, now this is going to haunt me

Yes I saw monitors for sure. They seemed pretty safe even when climbing into home locations of the waterfront. Pretty gently though I'd not risk pissing them off.

Holy Shiet.. Fear of Crocodile i never use to swim in the delta side near by place.... i always swim at sea,,, now this is going to haunt me

Lol.. Salties are pretty aggressive, Muggers not so much.. In Sri Lanka Salties seem to find their way to more urban area's from the sea.. o_O

Yes I saw monitors for sure. They seemed pretty safe even when climbing into home locations of the waterfront. Pretty gently though I'd not risk pissing them off.

Water monitors generally keep away, The larger ones are rarely have known to whip the tail and bring a average human down, It's their bite that's damaging though it's saliva is full of bacteria that can infect it in minutes

Back
Top Bottom