What's new

Help Me Choose My New Cell Phone...

A1Kaid

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Hello

I am in the market for a new cell phone.

I would like your input and advice about which new cell phone I should purchase.

Here are some factors to keep in mind.

Price Range: $100-$300+ USD (Reasonable Contract Preferred)

Features I'm Looking for:

Internet Access, GPS, Mp3, flash video (optional), video files, Streaming videos/YouTube, keyboard (optional), attractive appearance, good quality resolution, high memory capacity, long battery life, blue tooth, games, and not too bulky or thin.

Something "sheek" and cool.

I'm currently interested in the "RIM BlackBerry BOLD 9000" to learn more about it watch the videos below.

The RIM BlackBerry 9000 BOLD (the phone costs $300 with a two-year AT&T contract, and $680 with no contract) -Review of the RIM Blackberry Bold Smart Phone - PC World

(Visit the link above to learn more)

Thanks! Remember offer your advice, please use details on why you think the cell phone is good, also remember to show a picture/video of the cell phone you wish to tell me about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find Apple's IPhone interesting as well..

a489b1dbf433577194514c3b0934ca06.jpg

5c623231b3ecc53c3f975986421d1357.jpg

I want to be as Happy as this guy when I purchase my new cell phone :)
60862782bcfb8c17aac72483f3f4df6c.jpg

There will be one problem.

Once you ll start using iphone, YOu wont use any other phone in your entire life ;)

Get iphone ;)

Yes IPhone is very nice to, smooth screen, touch screen, high quality resoltuion, Youtube, video streaming, touch-screen keyboard is very nice to, and so much more...

But still with so many cool cell phones out in the market it is difficult to choose.

Trust me use it 5 minutes and you will find all other phone Bull ****, I am trpaed since i am with iphone :( jsut bought later Samsung Addict 16b and after 10 miutes gave it to my brother as no phone can e compared to iphone. The scree quality, the touch system is so awesome no phone can compete it.

I agree I bought an iPhone 3g 16gb last week... Its a full computer. I've jailbroken the phone, getting tons of free Apps...

iPhone plain out of the box is just a fancy device, but if you're an enthusiast like me, then you'll love cracking it open.

I'm using the iPhone to VNC into my computer, transfer files. I can use it to SSH into any servers through wifi or USB. Guess what, if you've got an unlimited data package from your ISP/Cell company, then you can install something on a jailbroken iphone call iphoneModem. Just put it next to a wifi enabled computer or laptop and it will use the cellular internet connection of the iphone.

The blackberry is good for out of the box features and if you like a physical keyboard. And getting used to the lcd keyboard is not that hard, I'm a pro in one week!

It's very tough too. I've seen it go through rigorous screen tests, where they rub keys over the LCD very hard. They dropped it on concrete from a height and yet it survived. You can install unix subsystem onto it and then shell onto the iphone. It doesn't come with a video recorder out of the box, but if you jailbreak it you can download the free cycorder and record movies in a very nicely compressed format with good video and audio.

So yeah, its the best.

if you've got an unlimited data package from your ISP/Cell company, then you can install something on a jailbroken iphone call iphoneModem. Just put it next to a wifi enabled computer or laptop and it will use the cellular internet connection of the iphone.

It doesn't come with a video recorder out of the box, but if you jailbreak it you can download the free cycorder and record movies in a very nicely compressed format with good video and audio.

"Just put it next to a wifi enabled computer or laptop and it will use the cellular internet connection of the iphone"

That is so amazing!!! So I can activate the WIFI/Bluetooth enable feature on my laptop and use that to access the internet connection on the IPhone, sounds very cool. However doesn't that mean a decrease in internet connection speed, or perhaps as you were previously saying "if you've got an unlimited data package from your ISP/Cell company" maybe this "unlimited data package" provides you to still get good speed...

Also I've notice you used the phrase "jail break" I think the others call that "hacking" open an IPhone...I don't know how to do that really, could be dangerous and damage the IPhone, perhaps illegal....But sounds cool and Yes I have heard about hacking into the IPhone and getting free access to IPhone Apps...Very cool stuff:agree:

There will be one problem.

Once you ll start using iphone, YOu wont use any other phone in your entire life ;)
As much as I like the iphone there are certain drawbacks to it...

1. No radio. I love listening to local radio shows, get the local news, etc.
2. A nice light for the camera
3. Zoom in, Zoom out features on the camera
4. No support for stereo bluetooth
5. The datacable should be like that of Blackberry, a usb or mini usb
6. Upgradeable SSD. 16gb is fine, but I might need more... If you buy Heroes Seasons from the Itunes store that alone takes up 32 gb, the full thing.
7. Larger battery life. If you're a full heavy user like me, the batter doesn't last you for one day
8. Wifi based interface with itunes...

Thats all I could think of right now...

"Just put it next to a wifi enabled computer or laptop and it will use the cellular internet connection of the iphone"

That is so amazing!!! So I can activate the WIFI/Bluetooth enable feature on my laptop and use that to access the internet connection on the IPhone, sounds very cool. However doesn't that mean a decrease in internet connection speed, or perhaps as you were previously saying "if you've got an unlimited data package from your ISP/Cell company" maybe this "unlimited data package" provides you to still get good speed...

Also I've notice you used the phrase "jail break" I think the others call that "hacking" open an IPhone...I don't know how to do that really, could be dangerous and damage the IPhone, perhaps illegal....But sounds cool and Yes I have heard about hacking into the IPhone and getting free access to IPhone Apps...Very cool stuff:agree:
It depends, 3g can serve you broadband capable speeds. It won't compare to your FiOS cable but if you're travelling and want fast enough internet on your laptop, this is the way.

jailbreaking and unlocking are two different things.

Jailbreaking provides you access to the core filesystem of the Iphone... Its very unlikely you'll do some permanent damage with it, because you can always open up your Itunes software and restore it to factory settings and it will reconfigure the IphoneOS for you.

I've heard unlocking voids the warranty, but you mentioned you're getting it under a contract so its cool. Iphone is still not in the UAE, so I got one from outside and did the magic on it. I had no warranty to begin with since I'm using it when its not officially released in the country.

The term jailbreak is used for iphone instead of hacking since jailbreaking isn't actually illegal, maybe unlocking is, but not jailbreak. Jailbreak term suggests that iphone comes in shackles and you need to do these things to set it free :P

As much as I like the iphone there are certain drawbacks to it...

1. No radio. I love listening to local radio shows, get the local news, etc.
2. A nice light for the camera
3. Zoom in, Zoom out features on the camera
4. No support for stereo bluetooth
5. The datacable should be like that of Blackberry, a usb or mini usb
6. Upgradeable SSD. 16gb is fine, but I might need more... If you buy Heroes Seasons from the Itunes store that alone takes up 32 gb, the full thing.
7. Larger battery life. If you're a full heavy user like me, the batter doesn't last you for one day
8. Wifi based interface with itunes...

Thats all I could think of right now...

I've also noticed the IPhone does not provide IM Service (Instant Messaging) like MSN/Windows Live Messenger of Yahoo Messenger, I personally would like the IM service... I don't know if the IPhone 3G does or does not...

Also I've heard the IPhone is bad with dropped calls or reception can be bad, but need more clarification on this...

One thing I like about the IPhone is it can detect if it is being held horizontally or vertically and adjusts its picture display corresponding to it's position...Though I think that is only for media purposes like albums and songs..

I've also noticed the IPhone does not provide IM Service (Instant Messaging) like MSN/Windows Live Messenger of Yahoo Messenger, I personally would like the IM service... I don't know if the IPhone 3G does or does not...

Also I've heard the IPhone is bad with dropped calls or reception can be bad, but need more clarification on this...

One thing I like about the IPhone is it can detect if it is being held horizontally or vertically and adjusts its picture display corresponding to it's position...Though I think that is only for media purposes like albums and songs..
Reception is quite clear and loud, in fact.

As I said the iphone comes with shackles. It has many IM cliients that will connect it to MSN/Yahoo/Google.

And you can always use the inbuilt internet webrowser and open up the mobile web applications for IMing.

But you can download many Apps that do it much better.

Back
Top Bottom