What's new

Heavy Vehicles Factory has orders to produce Battle Tanks for the Indian Army till 2035

Stephen Cohen

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
HVF has orders to produce Battle Tanks for the Indian Army till 2035

Chennai-based Heavy Vehicles Factory (HVF), which manufactures battle tanks under the Indian Ordnance Factories, is expecting a 60 per cent growth in turnover during this year and orders to produce battle tanks till 2035, said a senior official.

HVF, which is struggling with availability of quality suppliers, is working with Lucas TVS to develop the company as a second vendor who will manufacture one of the components in its battle tank, said Hari Mohan, senior general manager, HVF-Avadi, Ministry of Defence.

Delivering a special address at a Conference on DefenceManufacturing Technologies with the theme 'Defence Indigenisation - Window of Opportunities', organised by the Tamil Nadu Technology Development & Promotion Centre of CII, he said, "Last year our turnover was Rs 1,500 crore. This year, we are targeting a turnover of around Rs 2,400 crore and next year it is going to be Rs 3,000 crore. Whatever the projections of the Army, we are almost booked up to 2035, and beyond that also we are confident that Army would be looking forward to build tanks with HVF."

He said that the factory will build the Arjun Mk II tanks, and it is the Army which has to take further decision on it.

For HVF, the procurement of inputs is to the tune of Rs 500-600 crore, of which roughly Rs 350 crore is for buying components and assemblies from its industry partners alone.

The turnover of the Ordinance Factories is around Rs 16,000 crore, of which roughly Rs 6,000 crore of inputs is bought from various industries, including imports. Of this Rs 6,000 crore, around Rs 3,500 crore consists solely of components and other consumables, Mohan said.

"We have almost 300 industry partners who are supporting us, of wihch, more than 100 are located in Tamil Nadu. Many items are yet to be indigenised, and many are supplied by only one vendor. In several cases, the vendors that we have developed, have severe capacity limitations," he added.

Mohan said that HVF sources a particular turret-ring collector box that is used in battle tanks, from Bengaluru and is currently developing Lucas TVS as a vendor of this component in Chennai. Lucas TVS is already working with HVF for another component, he added.

HVF has reached over 90 per cent indigenisation for the T-72 tank during regular production, and over 70 per cent in the T-90 tank.

"Our main problem is that we have very few vendors. Many items are made by a single vendor who has capacity constraints. So we are looking for more vendors," he told reporters later.

All the components are technology-intensive and for battle tanks, vehicle mobility, fire power and armoured protection are important and difficult to achieve. All the subsystems going inside the system are highly optmised and it requires a great deal of technical competence to understand the specifications, fulfilling the production process and meeting all performance parameters.

Experts at the conference agreed that while new policies are throwing up huge opportunities in the area of defence procurement, issues such as indigenisation, the role of private manufacturers and smaller players, lack of skilled manpower and funding for long-gestation projects persist. .

The overall import content in defence procurement is around 60-65 per cent, with the rest is indigenised. However, the ownership of technology and design is an important aspect, said Sanjay Garg, joint secretary-DIP, Department of Defence Production, Ministry of Defence in his inaugural speech. He said that the ministry has listed around 25 projects, including a few smaller ones, on which start-ups or SMEs can work. These are available on the ministry's website. Almost 90-95 per cent of the claims in terms of offset obligation has been received and the government has taken steps for simplification of offset norms.

Indigenisation should not be limited to manufacturing, but shoudl also embrace design and technology, said Bala Bharadvaj, managing director, Boeing Research & Technology-India, He said his company is working to promote localisation, and has a tie-up with the Tata Group to produce floor beams used in 787 Dreamliner planes.

While many of the impediments have been done away with, the certification process for the components and assemblies is a process where the government has to come out supporting the private sector, said Sudhir Kumar, chief executive officer off Taneja Aerospace & Aviation Ltd. Jayakar Krishnamurthy,chairman and managing director of UCAL Fuel Systems Ltd said thatMSMEs in the sector would account for about $50 billion of defence industry revenues in next 15 years, which is an estimate based on the MSME performance in the automobile industry.

http://www.business-standard.com/ar...-tanks-till-2035-official-116060300908_1.html

3_img14616002554.jpg

Heavy Vehicles Factory -- Avadi is the main cause of Indian Armoured Corps'
Overwhelming strength and superiority

Well of course they do, they're the only ones allowed to build tanks. TATA, Reliance, L&T, among others want to build tanks as well now.

Well of course they do, they're the only ones allowed to build tanks. TATA, Reliance, L&T, among others want to build tanks as well now.
This news is specifically about the Arjun MK.2s and FBMT. Beyond the FICV the private sector will be roped in for the FRCV (a new generation light tank), TATA is already planning for that.

How many T-90s are in active service as of now(2016)?

This news is specifically about the Arjun MK.2s and FBMT. Beyond the FICV the private sector will be roped in for the FRCV (a new generation light tank), TATA is already planning for that.

The main platform in the FRCV is an MBT that can replace T72s and eventually down the line older T90s and Arjuns. There are several variants of it, including a light tank. The army isnt souly waiting on DRDO's FMBT anymore, which is also designed to be a modular design.

The main platform in the FRCV is an MBT that can replace T72s and eventually down the line older T90s and Arjuns. There are several variants of it, including a light tank. The army isnt souly waiting on DRDO's FMBT anymore, which is also designed to be a modular design.

Agreed, the FRCV is meant to be a "medium" MBT to replace the T-72 first and then the T-90 and that will be suited more for the heights of the North and NE. The FMBT is meant to be the successor to the "heavy" MBT Arjuns (MK.1 and 2) that will compete with the Leopard NG, Armata and such that will be suited to the Western sector in the plains.

Parallel development and the inclusion of the private sector is set to produce potentially mouth watering prospects.

Agreed, the FRCV is meant to be a "medium" MBT to replace the T-72 first and then the T-90 and that will be suited more for the heights of the North and NE. The FMBT is meant to be the successor to the "heavy" MBT Arjuns (MK.1 and 2) that will compete with the Leopard NG, Armata and such that will be suited to the Western sector in the plains.

Parallel development and the inclusion of the private sector is set to produce potentially mouth watering prospects.

It's actually not. It's a light tank, compared to most western tanks that is.

We've seen concepts and specs -

Gjh7IUx.jpg

Only 50 tons.

DRDO knows well the army doesnt want a heavy tank, in their line of thinking now that is. There's a huge overlap between the FMBT and the armies new, "FRCV".

DRDO will need to funnel a design through a private firm and compete.

Last edited:
It's actually not. It's a light tank, compared to most western tanks that is.

We've seen concepts and specs -

Gjh7IUx.jpg

Only 50 tons.

DRDO knows well the army doesnt want a heavy tank, in their line of thinking now that is. There's a huge overlap between the FMBT and the armies new, "FRCV".

DRDO will need to funnel a design through a private firm and compete.
Beleive me that is only going to go up, a 4 crew tank (ie no auto-loader) that is the succesor to the Arjun (that is already >60 tons) will be easily >55 tons. Give the Arjun Mk.2 a chance to get into service in greater numbers (which will happen with this GoI) and the infrastructure to support "heavy" tanks to be established. The timelines involved for the FBMT (2022 and beyond) mean that the FBMT will have to be truly heavy as this is the direction MBTs are going. "Lightness" never really became a reality as the compulsion is for more armour and greater survivability. The medium tanks of the IA (T-72 and T-90 and later FRCVs) will be deployed in the North and NE where their more compact size and smaller footprint makes their operation easier.

Beleive me that is only going to go up, a 4 crew tank (ie no auto-loader) that is the succesor to the Arjun (that is already >60 tons) will be easily >55 tons. Give the Arjun Mk.2 a chance to get into service in greater numbers (which will happen with this GoI) and the infrastructure to support "heavy" tanks to be established. The timelines involved for the FBMT (2022 and beyond) mean that the FBMT will have to be truly heavy as this is the direction MBTs are going. "Lightness" never really became a reality as the compulsion is for more armour and greater survivability. The medium tanks of the IA (T-72 and T-90 and later FRCVs) will be deployed in the North and NE where their more compact size and smaller footprint makes their operation easier.

It does have an auto loader in the specs and unsually 4 crew member for whatever reason. I also like the heavier western tanks, but who am I? DRDO is only appeasing what the user want.

Really though, the army shafted DRDO with this new tender. I cant say I care, because there are several potential production agencies, mostly private firms, competing with their designs. One of the design could be DRDO's.

It does have an auto loader in the specs and unsually 4 crew member for whatever reason.
I think the storage of rounds will be automated (similar to the latest gen Abrams) but there will not be an actual auto-loader that loads the rounds into the barrell as these are known to be particuarly unsafe and fault-prone.

I also like the heavier western tanks, but who am I? DRDO is only appeasing what the user want.
The Army will change its minds in the long term, like I said the Arjun will be the turning point. Once the infrastructure is built up for the Mk.2s to a greater degree and 400++ are in service they will have to wake up to the reality and think along the lines of the rest of the world and it isn't just the West, even the Russians who carved out and maintained the "medium" MBT segment over the years have massively upped the ante with the 70+ ton Armata. Armoured warfare is moving heavier, the IA can't be left behind but I can see that their regressive mindsets are already stalling obvious progress.

Really though, the army shafted DRDO with this new tender. I cant say I care, because there are several potential production agency, mostly private firms, competing with their design. One of the design could be DRDO's.

The FRCV is rather distinct to the FBMT so I don't think there is much "shafting" to it and the DRDO isn't a production agency so they can take part in the FRCV with a private partner should they so wish and this formula has worked well recently (Kestral) so why not? The more competition the better.

@Abingdonboy
The Army will change its minds in the long term, like I said the Arjun will be the turning point. Once the infrastructure is built up for the Mk.2s to a greater degree and 400++ are in service they will have to wake up to the reality and think along the lines of the rest of the world and it isn't just the West, even the Russians who carved out and maintained the "medium" MBT segment over the years have massively upped the ante with the 70+ ton Armata. Armoured warfare is moving heavier, the IA can't be left behind but I can see that their regressive mindsets are already stalling obvious progress.

That's all just assumptions. How they've treated the Arjun those far, I can just as easily say they'll stop at mark 2 and go on with FRCV, upgraded T90s.

Even the MoD for god sacks had to intervene to fix the Arjun serviceability issues on the Mark 1.

The FRCV is rather distinct to the FBMT so I don't think there is much "shafting" to it and the DRDO isn't a production agency so they can take part in the FRCV with a private partner should they so wish and this formula has worked well recently (Kestral) so why not? The more competition the better.

Already stated they'll need to funnel a design through a private firm, I know.

It's rather not, both are modular platforms that'll have a, "family", of variants.

The following variants are planned to be developed on the FRCV platform:-

1. Tracked Main Battle Tank - Primary variant.
  2. Tracked Light Tank.
  3. Wheeled Version.
  4. Bridge Layer Tank (BLT).
  5. Trawl Tank and Mine Ploughs.
  6. Armored Recovery Vehicle (ARV).
  7. Self Propelled Artillery Gun/Howitzer.
  8. Air Defence Gun/Msl System.
  9. Artillery Observation Post Vehicle.
  10. Engineer Reconnaissance Vehicle.
  11. Armored Ambulance.

DRDO's FMBT was offering most of these based on their platform.

Last edited:
How many T-90s are in active service as of now(2016)?
1000 - 1200 ~ out of which 800 + are made at Avadi.

There was some TOT issue with Gun Barrel now OFB making it indigenously at Kanpur.

Bhishma is heavier than Russian T 90 due to Kanchan Composite Armor and Drdo ERA MK 2 is same on Arjun.

Last edited:
Arjun numbers should be over 500 by 2025 to really bring indian tanks to the world stage

Back
Top Bottom