Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Gulf stock markets reel as COVID-19 cases surge
BY DAILY SABAH
ISTANBUL MID-EAST
MAR 22, 2020 6:23 PM GMT+3

AFP Photo

Stock markets in the Gulf experienced further losses as countries across the Middle East implemented new precautions such as restrictions on the movement of people and shutting public places amid the new coronavirus outbreak.

Markets in Dubai and Abu Dhabi saw losses on Sunday. The United Arab Emirates’ main equity index has fallen by 30% in March. Emirates NBD, the largest lender in Dubai, has lost more than 40% of its value this month, while First Abu Dhabi Bank, the largest lender in the UAE, has plunged by 37%, according to the Bloomberg data.

The worst-hit Middle Eastern country, Iran, alongside Saudi Arabia, announced new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday. The number of deaths in Iran reached 1,685, with the total number of infections at 21,638, while Turkey and Israel neared 1,000 cases.

Israel implemented new rules on Sunday prohibiting most Israelis from leaving their homes for the next seven days.

Saudi Arabia has recorded 119 new coronavirus cases, taking the country's total tally to 511.

Qatar restricted all forms of public gatherings and made a statement saying that individuals who violate these restrictions would be arrested.

The UAE also implemented precautions such as shutting beaches, parks and pools, and imposing new restrictions on restaurants.

The aviation industry in the Middle East is also being battered by the new coronavirus outbreak. Emirates airline announced the suspension of all passenger flights from March 25, while Abu Dhabi’s Etihad Airways also halted the majority of its flights.

Turkey's death toll due to COVID-19 rose to 21 Saturday, while the number of confirmed cases has surged since the first case was announced last week, reaching 947.

Turkey has taken several measures to stem the virus such as temporarily closing schools and universities, halting events and public activities, postponing foreign visits, and barring spectators from sports events.

Interior Ministry on Monday ordered all cafes, gyms, theaters, cinemas, performance centers, concert halls, wedding halls, music halls, beer halls, taverns, hookah lounges, internet cafes, all types of game centers, amusement parks, pools, Turkish baths, saunas and spas to be closed beginning Tuesday.

https://www.dailysabah.com/world/mid-east/gulf-stock-markets-reel-as-covid-19-cases-surge

Last edited:
i am confused what should we keep as savings these days dollars or any currency or gold ?

Well the city I am in, there have been an infection 6-7 blocks from my home :pop:
a 7-8 min drive by car maybe a 10-minute drive (Today's news)

The person (cashier) is of course in hospital and they don't know just how many people he had contact with as he was at a public location meeting 100-1000's daily

• I went for a drive 5 minutes ago and every single home there are multiple cars parked outside no one has gone out of their homes
  • Gyms are closed , all small shops are closed

Some brave souls still using drive-thru coffee not listening to warnings I decided to drive back home

I am not sure what is the situation in Pakistan , if people are attending BBQ events or Ceremonies for Judges , or just going for nice walks in public places but where I am everyone is inside their homes in locked down situation

Last edited:
i am confused what should we keep as savings these days dollars or any currency or gold ?
Depends on how bad u r expecting things to get...
Gold can keep u protected against inflation...bcuz currencies can plummet.

But if things are going to get really bad...as in each man for himself...then u r better off with livestock and guns.

yeah gold is a good way and it will never be bad if you have bought gold a dacade and some years more ago where it was cheap you would have and about 500 dollar now it would have saved you (>1500 of today) this is not only because gold got more value but its also because our money has lesser value than that times..

lets think about really bad times.. a worldwar happens and we are doomed and everything crashes and everywhere we are in need of food! so I think you can get some food for gold.. but would you give a away 31 grams of gold for 5kg rice? so you need the proper pieces and with gold its hard to split it up for you needs when even one gram costs 50 dollar!

I think some amound of silver is also good to have.. 31 gramm Silver is about 18-19 euros its easier to give that away for some rice.. (but its lesser loved than gold)

so I keep some silver in my bank.. (a storage/lockbox in my bank) its easy to have 2 kg of silver if you buy 31 gram for 16,5 euros so you need 66 silver coins and it would cost only 1089.. (currently you would have to pay 1221 euros because 18,5 euros for an ounce) same goes for silver

together with some gold wich belong my wife it would mean not all money is lost

but you all see this wont save you in bad times that last long! the best is if you can plant your food have some land a house a garden some animals(at least one cow, many chickens or bigger birds, sheeps) and guns and ammo (at least 20k) than you will have most of all you need..

but you need also knowledge how to conserve food you need to create butter, cheese, yoghurt, to conserve eggs, meat, you may have to build some reserves like beans, rice and other long lasting things
some trees like chestnuts (1 per person) walnuts are really like gold in this times, applestrees bamboo vegetables

but who in the world can do this all if they are not living on a farm? and why? :D lets say a farmer with some knowledge and some guns is the best prepper

others can only save their money with gold and silver..

yeah gold is a good way and it will never be bad if you have bought gold a dacade and some years more ago where it was cheap you would have and about 500 dollar now it would have saved you (>1500 of today) this is not only because gold got more value but its also because our money has lesser value than that times..

lets think about really bad times.. a worldwar happens and we are doomed and everything crashes and everywhere we are in need of food! so I think you can get some food for gold.. but would you give a away 31 grams of gold for 5kg rice? so you need the proper pieces and with gold its hard to split it up for you needs when even one gram costs 50 dollar!

I think some amound of silver is also good to have.. 31 gramm Silver is about 18-19 euros its easier to give that away for some rice.. (but its lesser loved than gold)

so I keep some silver in my bank.. (a storage/lockbox in my bank) its easy to have 2 kg of silver if you buy 31 gram for 16,5 euros so you need 66 silver coins and it would cost only 1089.. (currently you would have to pay 1221 euros because 18,5 euros for an ounce) same goes for silver

together with some gold wich belong my wife it would mean not all money is lost

but you all see this wont save you in bad times that last long! the best is if you can plant your food have some land a house a garden some animals(at least one cow, many chickens or bigger birds, sheeps) and guns and ammo (at least 20k) than you will have most of all you need..

but you need also knowledge how to conserve food you need to create butter, cheese, yoghurt, to conserve eggs, meat, you may have to build some reserves like beans, rice and other long lasting things
some trees like chestnuts (1 per person) walnuts are really like gold in this times, applestrees bamboo vegetables

but who in the world can do this all if they are not living on a farm? and why? :D lets say a farmer with some knowledge and some guns is the best prepper

others can only save their money with gold and silver..

We have a rich bastard here!

Dubious Erdogan mouthpiece "news" (Daily Sabah - nice Arabic word) in action posted by an Arabized and Arab-obsessed Anatoli.

2 equity markets in 2 sheikdoms of UAE = all of the imaginary "Gulf".:lol:

Even if those markets dropped 100% of their value in some alternative universe (forgetting that the entire world economy is crashing - the GCC being one of the best prepared economies for such a trash), the GCC would still have an economy 3 times larger than Turkey whilst the citizenry of those countries are living in an economic reality that the average citizen in Turkey (past and present) has never experienced and likely will never experience in the future either.

Sociologists should really study why some Arabized populations in the world have an unhealthy obsession about 500 + million Arabs and 20 + Arab countries.

PDF turning into an even bigger joke by each day. Luckily 99% of all Arab users left this place which saves them from reading the irrelevant inferiority ridden ramblings of nobodies. I just happen to visit from time to time for the fun of it and in order to update a few threads. The Chinese/Iranian coronavirus shit is not helping either, luckily there have been 0 casualties in KSA (all of them idiots going to iran to worship some long dead Hijazis) and almost 20 recoveries already. The warmer weather (with the summer approaching) should be a benefit.

Dubious Erdogan mouthpiece "news" (Daily Sabah - nice Arabic word) in action posted by an Arabized and Arab-obsessed Anatoli.

2 equity markets in 2 sheikdoms of UAE = all of the imaginary "Gulf".:lol:

Even if those markets dropped 100% of their value in some alternative universe (forgetting that the entire world economy is crashing - the GCC being one of the best prepared economies for such a trash), the GCC would still have an economy 3 times larger than Turkey whilst the citizenry of those countries are living in an economic reality that the average citizen in Turkey (past and present) has never experienced and likely will never experience in the future either.

Sociologists should really study why some Arabized populations in the world have an unhealthy obsession about 500 + million Arabs and 20 + Arab countries.

PDF turning into an even bigger joke by each day. Luckily 99% of all Arab users left this place which saves them from reading the irrelevant inferiority ridden ramblings of nobodies. I just happen to visit from time to time for the fun of it and in order to update a few threads. The Chinese/Iranian coronavirus shit is not helping either, luckily there have been 0 casualties in KSA (all of them idiots going to iran to worship some long dead Hijazis) and almost 20 recoveries already. The warmer weather (with the summer approaching) should be a benefit.
What are you going on about?
The news paper article is stating facts not propaganda. Show us where they are deceiving us, if not shut up and crawl back in your hole in the desert.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom