What's new

Heavy rains lash flood-hit Pakistan - Images

The Pakistan army is doing it's best. All citizens must play there part to help the flood victims.

Last edited by a moderator:
UN chief Ban Ki-moon flew into Pakistan on Sunday to visit areas ravaged by floods and urged the world to speed up aid for up to 20 million people hit by the country's worst humanitarian disaster. The United Nations has appealed for 460 million dollars to deal with the immediate aftermath of the floods but has warned that billions will be required in the long-term with villages, businesses, crops and infrastructure wiped out. The government has appealed to the international community to help cope with the challenges of a crisis that Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has compared to the 1947 partition of the sub-continent. Officials estimate that around a quarter of Pakistan appears to have been affected by the flooding. The UN estimates that 14 million have been affected and that 1,600 have died. The government has confirmed 1,384 deaths.

1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

The United Nations warned Monday that up to 3.5 million children were at risk from water-borne diseases in Pakistan's floods and said it was bracing for thousands of potential cholera cases.

Fresh rains threaten further anguish for millions of people that have been affected by the country's worst floods for 80 years...

Several hundred people on Monday blocked the main highway linking the breadbasket of Punjab province to the financial capital Karachi, calling for assistance and holding up traffic for more than an hour, witnesses said.

"We have no food and no shelter. We need immediate help," shouted the protesters, who included women and children.

Intermittent rain fell Monday, turning refugee camps into mud, keeping alive fears of further breaches in the Indus river and canals and hampering relief efforts, officials said.

Bibi Momal, 35, sat in dirty clothes and broken shoes on a roadside near the southern city of Sukkur waiting for relief, weak and exhausted.

"We have no tents. We spent the night in the rain. Our children are hungry and sick. We came here for relief but we got nothing."

In Punjab, evacuation orders were issued to residents of Fazilpur and waters also threatened the nearby town of Khangarh.

"Thousands are getting ready to leave," said Nasrullah Tareen, 30.

"People have taken shelter on high ground. Our major problem is safe drinking water. Water is rising everywhere but there is no drinking water."
link

These people need more than G-d's mercy; they need the support of their fellows. How many of you expats have volunteered to stop what you are doing to help coordinate foreign aid?

Angelina Jolie urges aid for flood-hit Pakistan

LONDON: Angelina Jolie says it's vital that people help Pakistan's flood victims and not surrender to compassion fatigue.

The floods have displaced 20 million people, but donations are below those for catastrophes like the Haitian earthquake or the Asian tsunami.

Jolie said she understood that ''it is getting hard for people, they see Haiti, they see these other events ... and they get exhausted by the time another big one rolls around.''

But she said Pakistanis face ''mass death, mass displacement, and this situation is going to get worse.''

Jolie has visited Haiti, Iraq and other countries as a UN goodwill ambassador. The star says she might visit Pakistan once ''the cameras go away.''

Jolie spoke Monday at the London premiere of her spy thriller ''Salt.'' -AP

I don't have words for the misery I am seeing :tsk:

I second that. There are no words to describe the state of our country or the absolute misery and plight of our people. I also think these floods will become a routine occurrence and test the absolute limits of any future government when it comes to disaster management. Or you could say disaster mismanagement.

Man..this is bad...Pakistan negative perception is keeping the foreign donors away from donating whole heartedly....I think the biggest help that media across the world can do is show the level of devastation so that world should know how big disaster is and how despearately help is required...

I know the first wave brought in scores of deaths but what i am really afraid of is the second wave....water borne diseases have the potential to kill manifolds and that too pretty quick....

Sad very sad :( .....

Back
Top Bottom