What's new

Health issues of Paan

MSAKH

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
Canada
In Pakistan and other parts of South Asia and Southeast Asia, the betel leaves are chewed together in a wrapped package along with the areca nut (Challia) and mineral slaked lime and Kattha, and other flavoring substances and spices might be added. The market of paan is in rupees multibillion but the problem is that there is no standards are followed in the preparation of all additives and all sort of toxic colors are used in the ingredients, making the paan more hazardous for the user.

The lime acts to keep the active ingredient in its freebase or alkaline form, thus enabling it to enter the bloodstream via sublingual absorption. The challia contains the alkaloid, which promotes salivation, and is itself a stimulant. This combination, known as a paan has been used for several thousand years. Tobacco is sometimes added. Betel leaves are used as a stimulant, an antiseptic and a breath-freshener. Paan with tobacco is strongly carcinogenic.

In an extensive scientific research monograph, the World Health Organization expert group for research on cancer reported in 2004 that the percentage of oral cancer among all cancers diagnosed in hospitals in Asia has always been much higher than that usually found in western countries, where the habit of chewing betel quid, with or without tobacco, is virtually unknown.
In many descriptive studies, investigators have obtained histories of chewing betel quid with tobacco from series of patients with oral cancer; and in all these studies the percentage of patients who practice betel leaf chewing was found to be extremely large. Researchers also noted that the cancer generally develops at the place where the betel quid is kept.

A Lancet Oncology publication claims that betel leaf quid, or paan masala, may cause tumors in different parts of the body and not just the oral cavity as previously thought.
In a study conducted in Sri Lanka, scientists found high prevalence of oral potentially malignant disorders in rural Sri Lankan populations. After screening for various causes, the scientists report betel-quid chewing being the major risk factor, with or without tobacco.

Other substances are often added to the betel quid, in particular spices, such as cardamom, saffron, cloves, aniseed, turmeric, mustard or sweeteners according to local preferences.
Numerous commercially produced mixtures containing some or all these ingredients are also available in various parts of the Pakistan. The betel quid is thus a mixture of substances, placed in the mouth; and betel leaf is not consumed alone. For a predominant majority, the paan usually contains the betel leaf with two basic ingredients, either tobacco or areca nut or both, in raw or any processed form.

This is very necessary that the Pakistan Standards and Quality Control Authority, under the Ministry of Science and Technology, which is the national standardization body and responsible for establishment of standards for all ingredients used in preparation of Paan in the industry.
PSQCA has also been established for consumer protection. The main function of the Department is to foster and promote standards and conformity assessment as a means of advancing the national economy, promoting industrial efficiency and development, ensuring the health and safety of the public, protecting the consumers, facilitating domestic and international trade and furthering international co-operation in relation to standards and conformity assessment. After implementation of their standards the Government may save lives of all those suffering from Paan related diseases.Top of Form

Bottom of Form

You are correct but in my opinion no one in the world can stop this activity, which is in practice for the last many thousand years,

yup, eating paan is probably as old as the indus valley civilization (betel leaves have been recorded), arthashastra mentions betel nut.

paan is something which represents south asian culture and no one should expect it will go away.

regards

They should be sent to me. I see enough oral cancer cases even here in Ontario. One of my really good patient passed away few months back due to the oral cancer... so many more are suffering. It’s really sad to tell them to quit when it’s already too late. I once say a lady who was visiting her son and all of a sudden spontaneously started bleeding from under the tongue. I had to rush her to the emergency. Just one look and I knew it was over. I took one scan and it was so bad ... it had spread a lot...
our people don’t listen . I keep begging them to please stop for your kids sake but no they donr

Back
Top Bottom