What's new

HDI in India rises by 21%: Kerala leads, Gujarat far behind

The overall improvement in the index was largely attributed to the 28.5 per cent increase in education index across the country. It ranges from 0.92 for Kerala to 0.41 in in the case of Bihar.

0.92 Isn't that comparable to the western ones?

Actually, India is ranked at 119, not 122 and Pakistan is ranked slightly lower.

International Human Development Indicators - UNDP

International Human Development Indicators - UNDP

Anyway, this thread has nothing to do with Pakistan...

As I said, India is ranked slightly 'over' (higher than) Pakistan (Pakistan is ranked slightly lower).

A mere 21% improvement in the space of a decade, when India is exhibiting exceptionally high growth rates, & is being lauded for its economic prosperity, is quite frankly, not good enough. It's nothing to be proud of, & certainly not worth mentioning about. Serious human development challenges are still faced by most of India's population, despite high economic growth levels.

I dont believe all these fake statistics coming out of india where Govt. says Rs 32 is enough for a day just to show improved poverty statistics.

Really?? is that what you know and read??

Its not in reality i will guide u how it is, just give full attention:

a single person @ Rs. 32 per day X 30 days (in a month) X 5 members in a average family = Rs. 4800 or 8160 in the pakistani rupees.

So as per govt. they have created a extreme poverty line of families who have less then Rs. 4800 income per month (in Indian currency) will be consider extreme poor.

And govt. will provide them free education + free food + free health etc. etc.

That means if a family have a earning father + a wife + 3 kids with less then Rs. 4800 per month income they will be consider extremely poor and will get extra attention and care by govt. :wave:

CNN IBN is now carrying out a programme that shows child malnutrition in Maharashtra.shocking....... the videos are disturbing.It shows how long india need to travel to eliminate poverty and malnutrition.

Talking about Kerala:
What good is of any state where you have highest literacy rate, better life expectancy, low infant mortality rate and overall better quality of life index, but you have economical chaos, rampant unemployment, Militant trade Unions, frequent strikes and 11,000 suicides a year, child Prostitution. A developed state or a failed one?
Kerala Conundrum

Kerala has borrowed and borrowed from center....its bankrupt state.

Really?? is that what you know and read??

Its not in reality i will guide u how it is, just give full attention:

a single person @ Rs. 32 per day X 30 days (in a month) X 5 members in a average family = Rs. 4800 or 8160 in the pakistani rupees.

So as per govt. they have created a extreme poverty line of families who have less then Rs. 4800 income per month (in Indian currency) will be consider extreme poor.

And govt. will provide them free education + free food + free health etc. etc.

That means if a family have a earning father + a wife + 3 kids with less then Rs. 4800 per month income they will be consider extremely poor and will get extra attention and care by govt. :wave:

i think the absolute value of Rs.32 is crap as if a person earns Rs.33 will not get benefits,it should be more inclusive

Yes. Norway has HDI 0.93. And Norway is ranked 1. I wish entire country was like Kerala

LOL... Its just the statistics that's comparable.. nothing else is going good.

The main issue still is the political dramas and the mismanagement of the funds.

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Be careful for what you wish. If not for the overseas remittances from NRIs (25 lakh Keralites in Gulf countries alone) Kerala is doomed.

Not to forget the new found IT money, rubber money,liquor money ... lol.

The problem with kerala is its poor infrastructure, investments and waste management.Otherwise kerala will really be gods own country.

The problem with kerala is its poor infrastructure, investments and waste management.Otherwise kerala will really be gods own country.

Infrastructure is going good.

But investments apart from IT are not coming. A lot depends on the fragile eco system, where big factories cant be set up.
And of course the bloody muddy roads..and you are right waste managements of city corporations are a mess.

Back
Top Bottom