What's new

Happy new year to all Iranians and other PDF members

Serpentine

INT'L MOD
Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
I want to send my best wishes to all of members who share the same culture,history and values.
I hope we can all change for a good cause just like the new season,spring,in which the nature rises again and starts another new life.

l88cusiijrh57s01l1uz.jpg

Here's a brief history of Norooz (Persian new year):
'In harmony with rebirth of nature, the Persian New Year Celebration, or Norooz, always begins on the first day of spring, March 20th of each year. Norooz ceremonies are symbolic representations of two ancient concepts - the End and Rebirth. About 3000 years ago Persian's major religion was Zoroastrianism, named in honor of its founder Zoroaster, and arguably the world's first monotheistic religion. Zoroastrians had a festival called "Farvardgan" which lasted ten days, and took place at the end of the solar year. It appears that this was a festival of sorrow and mourning , signifying the end of life while the festival of Norooz, at the beginning of spring signified rebirth, and was a time of great joy and celebration. Norooz was officially acknowledged and named "Norooz" by mythical Persian emperor, Shah Jamshid, from Achaemenid Dynasty (500 BC). Ashaemenied created the first major empire in the region and built Persepolis complex (Takhte Jamshid) in the city of Shiraz.

e2iir7zeky3oh6dt8y.jpg

Norooz in Persian means "New Day" and brings hope, peace and prosperity to the world and has been celebrated among people regardless of ethnic background, political views or religion in many countries around the globe such as Iran, Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Uzbekistan, Pakistan, Georgia, Iraq, Tajikistan, Syria ,Armenia and India. Some of the activities during Norooz are Spring cleaning, buying new cloths, painting eggs, family reunion, giving presents, visiting neighbors and friends and celebrating by having a picnic on the 13th day of Spring. Happy Norooz'
A major part of the Iranian New Year rituals is setting a special table with seven specific items present ( Haft Sin ). HaftSin or the seven 'S' s is a major tradition of Norouz. The haft sin table includes seven items specific starting with the letter S or Sin in Persian alphabet. The items symbolically correspond to seven creations and holy immortals protecting them.
The Haft Sin has evolved over time, but has kept its symbolism. Traditionally, families attempt to set as beautiful a Haft Sin table as they can, as it is not only of traditional and spiritual value, but also noticed by visitors during Norouzi visitations and is a reflection of their good taste.

The Haft Sin items are:
* sabzeh - wheat, barley or lentil sprouts growing in a dish - symbolizing rebirth
* samanu - a sweet pudding made from wheat germ - symbolizing affluence
* senjed - the dried fruit of the oleaster tree - symbolizing love
* sīr - garlic - symbolizing medicine
* sīb - apples - symbolizing beauty and health
* somaq - sumac berries - symbolizing (the color of) sunrise
* serkeh - vinegar - symbolizing age and patience

Other items on the table may include:

* Sonbol - Hyacinth (flower)
* Sekkeh - Coins - representative of wealth
* traditional Iranian pastries such as baghlava, toot, naan-nokhodchi
* dried nuts, berries and raisins (Aajeel)
* lit candles (enlightenment and happiness)
* a mirror
* decorated eggs, sometimes one for each member of the family (fertility)
* a bowl of water with goldfish (life within life, and the sign of Pisces which the sun is leaving)
* a bowl of water with an orange in it (the earth floating in space)
* rose water for its magical cleansing powers
* the national colours, for a patriotic touch
* a holy book (e.g., the Quran, Avesta, Bible, Torah, or Kitáb-i-Aqdas,) and/or a poetry book (almost always either the Shahnama or the Divan of Hafez)

Peace,joy,justice and happiness to all my dear PDF friends.

HAPPY NOWROOZ TO ALL OUR IRANIAN FRIENDS!

Growing up in India, I recall this celebration with friends of Iranian descent, later even with fellow students from Iran in my university. After that I had an opportunity to be in Iran twice at this time of the year. All great memories.

It is wonderful and happy new year to all. May I mention here that Jalali calendar in use in Iran is also the most accurate calendar in the world with long historical roots based on vernal equinox which causes the calendar to exactly match the changing seasons, unlike the Georgian calendar. Though in its current version, the calculations for the most updated version of this calendar had been done by Omar Khayyam when he was a young mathematician tasked by the king to review the old Iranian calendar heading a team of other mathematicians of his era. The calculations stand to this day as accurate as mathematically possible.

The calendar is an observational one, with Tehran astronomical society doing the observation and a team appointed by government of Iran, doing the calculations for each ongoing year based on astronomical almanac. This makes the calendar error free unlike the Georgian calendar which is accumulating error each year. Another new calendar based on this has been proposed by an Iranian mathematician Ahmad Birashk, which would make the Iranian calendar a non-observational one and a pure mathematical calendar by use of a complex mathematical pattern, with several cycling rotations. This has the added benefit that like Georgian calendar, Iranian calendar would also celebrate the new year on mid-night each year, but would introduce a very small amount of error in the calendar something like one day of error over a 3.8 million year period which still would remain more accurate than Georgian calendar which has an error of one day over a period of 3,300 years. But this calendar has not yet become official since no legislation has been proposed on it to Iranian parliament and only remains as an academic topic.

well in 1391 we will see bavar-373 air defence system(iranian s-400),basat medium weight submarine,oghab sea patroling plane,new version of Z-3 MBT,2 or three satellite and maybe new home made fighter.
it will be a great year!

13 hours and 44 minute to new year!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom