What's new

Happy Diwali !!

mushroom_cloud_explosion_by_jr0520-d5zjgpw.jpg

It will be nice if someone can give historical context of diwali.

Diwali is called the Festival of Lights and is celebrated to honor Rama-chandra, the seventh avatar (incarnation of the god Vishnu). It is believed that on this day Rama returned to his people after 14 years of exile during which he fought and won a battle against the demons and the demon king, Ravana.

Ten Reasons to Celebrate Diwali Festival of Lights

Diwali is called the Festival of Lights and is celebrated to honor Rama-chandra, the seventh avatar (incarnation of the god Vishnu). It is believed that on this day Rama returned to his people after 14 years of exile during which he fought and won a battle against the demons and the demon king, Ravana.

Both Lord Rama and Ravana use to worship the same Supreme Creator and that battle was about Dharma .

A friend of mine in fb was campaigning against use of firecrackers during Deepawali, pollution was the main reason. This was my reply:

That's #tolerance! :D We all sacrifice a little for others' sake. If we take the logic behind the anti-firecracker argument and apply it on other aspects of our society, then there will always be someone who would say 'I don't own a car, why should I suffer the pollution caused by the car owners'...'I don't own a mobile, why should I suffer the radiation caused by the mobile towers'...'I don't read books, why should I suffer the traffic jam caused by the book fairs'...'I am not a Hindu, why should I suffer the city going haywire during the five days of Durgapuja'...'I am not a Muslim, why should I suffer the prayers on roads every Friday'...'I am not a Christian, why should I suffer the traffic jams during the Christmas'...more importantly, a village farmer would say 'I only own two bighas of land, two cows, two kerosene lamp and a mud house, why should I suffer the consequences of global warming caused by the rich'? Even all the printed copies of Rabindranath Thakur's work must have wiped off a few jungles, probably some adivasis lost their livelihood because of that, who knows!!...........When I was a kid, I used to start feeling the excitement of Durgapuja a month or two before the pujas, even seeing the making of the puja pandals was a matter of great excitement, music from loudspeakers, lights, crowd, all used to add up to that excitement and joy, and firecrackers were the height of celebration! Now I don't feel much about pujas, barely notice when it came and go..but I know that the children feel the same excitement and joy during the pujas with all its loud music, firecrackers, etc. that I used to feel many years back. The world will be a sad place if we start objecting to everything that we don't like........but yes, there can always be some control, a sound limit is already in place, I don't see use of very loud 'chocolate bombs' at least in my area, there can be restrictions in types of materials used in firecrackers, there can also be a time limit, like 7PM to 11PM, and proper implementation of these rules. But beyond that, we all are to some extent responsible for some amount of pollution and global warming. :)

AND HAPPY DEEPAWALI TO ALL!!! :-)

3208c413f9e4d7e792b7a3afc9f09d9b-720x575.jpg

12195991_967176136686809_6269790182381995641_n.jpg

Last edited:

What about Lakshmi? i thought it was celebrated for her.

What about Lakshmi? i thought it was celebrated for her.

Of course the goddess lakshmi is worshiped this day for wealth and good luck as she is wife of lord Vishnu whose incarnation Rama was born

Happy wishes to all who celebrate this holiday!!!

I don't know much about it, i just saw it's about lightsa and some candles posted, so i decided to post some too :tongue:

tropical-lights-colored-oil-candles.jpg

And one for teh lulz!

qk04.jpg

Back
Top Bottom