What's new

Hanoi wants to become the second Singapore

You are very smart to give that reply to the inferiority complex lad. :)

AViet, you seem like someone I can become good friends with. Smarts and dignity.

Hanoi sure has changed a lot since I was there in 2007/8. There's chronic unemployment due to the stupid previous government policy of luring "sex tourists". I'm glad that pathetic president is out -- hopefully, the new government will recognize importance of integrating with China (and Asia), and deterring from becoming another target for sex tourists.

AViet, you seem like someone I can become good friends with. Smarts and dignity.

Hanoi sure has changed a lot since I was there in 2007/8. There's chronic unemployment due to the stupid previous government policy of luring "sex tourists". I'm glad that pathetic president is out -- hopefully, the new government will recognize importance of integrating with China (and Asia), and deterring from becoming another target for sex tourists.

Thank you. I believe most, if not all, Vietnamese and ethnic Viet forumers here are smart. However, I do have different view with some.

Many are influenced by Western liberal democracy, which I believe will lead to nowhere. I am influenced by Lee Kwang Yew's ideology and Confucianism.

Last edited:
Another very important reason (probably the most important reason) why Singapore is special and unique is the strait of Malacca. Can't copy that.
i'm agree, so as HK where serves as open door for mainland China for a long time. I believe geographic alone plays a big part on HK and Singapore's success.

Oh, I forgot about Western Huns from China, who conquered Europe, colonized and reshaped its geopolitics.

As Eastern Huns mixed and turned into Han Chinese now, Western Huns can be considered Chinese, so Chinese have been the best colonizers ever.
the Chinese absorbing the huns, the mongols, the manchu don´t make themselves to colonizers. a more correct term is absorber or integrator. as for Europe, noboby remember of the huns, people more remember of the turks, who stood before Vienna. unlike the Han, the Viet is a martial race, so the Huns, the Mongols.

Hanoi

26776595972_f3be021369_b.jpg

13308675_823617227772625_8802143575563910955_o.jpg

Toa_Nha_FPT_zing.jpg

the Chinese absorbing the huns, the mongols, the manchu don´t make themselves to colonizers. a more correct term is absorber or integrator. as for Europe, noboby remember of the huns, people more remember of the turks, who stood before Vienna. unlike the Han, the Viet is a martial race, so the Huns, the Mongols.

Hanoi

26776595972_f3be021369_b.jpg

13308675_823617227772625_8802143575563910955_o.jpg

Toa_Nha_FPT_zing.jpg

Thank you Viet for the picture. I was born near the first one.

Regarding Chinese history, frankly speaking, your knowledge is quite limited.

Zhou dynasty was likely Turkic. North Wei was Turkic (Shatuo Turk), as were some other dynasties during North-South division, after Han dynasty. Even Tang dynasty had a lot of Turkic elements. For example, An Lushan was of Iranian - Turkic origin.

You cannot divide Turkic history with Chinese history clearly, as with Mongol history. I've heard that in Turkey, they have to frequently use Chinese records to be textbook at school on their history.

However, do not take my words regarding who are better colonizers seriously.

Last edited:

Zhou dynasty was likely Turkic. North Wei was Turkic (Shatuo Turk), as were some other dynasties during North-South division, after Han dynasty. Even Tang dynasty had a lot of Turkic elements. For example, An Lushan was of Iranian - Turkic origin.

You cannot divide Turkic history with Chinese history clearly, as with Mongol history. I've heard that in Turkey, they have to frequently use Chinese records to be textbook at school on their history.

the Turks may have big impact on Chinese civilization, but for the people of Europe, they still remember the invasion of the Turk hordes in 17 century, hence the hesitation to let the Turks to join the EU. I never heard of the invasion of the Hun when I went to school. the Tang was very strong. more powerful than the dynasties that followed after them. that tells a lot when the Tang had even been successful in supressing all Vietnamese rebellions as evidence.

I am not a historian, just saying what I know. yes, my knowledge on China is limited.

Hanoi city metro coming in 2019
taudienngam.jpg

Hanoi, if in China, could rank as 3 tier city.

Data will tell the truth.

Foreigners tend to oversimplify Singapore's economic success to its port and 'tax haven' status. The fact is our economy is highly diversified, with manufacturing the biggest pillar at about 20% of GDP. Meanwhile Finance and Insurance is about 12%, and Logistics is about 7% of GDP. We also ventured into IT and bio-medical sciences in recent years, supported with our strong educational institutions and research facilities. We have some of the top Asian universities according to QS 2015. (can't post link lol) Foreigners also invest in us because of strong rule-of-law and highly educated workforce.

L1paMCg.jpg

You seriously think just having a good port and 'low tax tax haven' is enough to propel us to PPP per capita GDP of $85K for 5.5 million people? If it was that simple; Panama, Cayman Islands, Egypt, Middle East and others would have many prosperous metropolis by now. Larger countries could also set aside an economic area and do the same.

It's sad to see many of our neighbors believe in their government and media that Singapore gain her undeserved success at their expenses, because lolChinese. And calling us a tax haven is quite inaccurate anyway. Here's a response from the Money Authority of Singapore to the foreign press:

First, the reference to Singapore as a tax haven is plainly wrong. A tax haven typically has a tax structure designed to attract enterprises and individuals keen to avoid tax and not requiring substantive local presence by such enterprises and individuals. Singapore’s tax system aims to attract substantive economic activities by keeping the tax burden on enterprises and individuals competitive - businesses are taxed at 17% and the highest individual income tax bracket is 20%. The tax system underpins a diversified, knowledge-based economy, spanning a wide range of economic sectors.

Second, there is no such thing as an “IMF list of tax havens”, which the article purports that Singapore is included in. Nor is Singapore being targeted by the US for tax evasion. Singapore does not and will not stand for abuse of its financial system to facilitate tax evasion and/or other crimes. As an international financial centre, Singapore is highly vigilant against illicit funds that could threaten its integrity and stands committed to active cooperation with international partners to deter and prevent criminal abuse. Singapore endorses and implements the internationally agreed Standard for Exchange of Information (the EOI Standard) for tax purposes in its tax treaties. The level of tax cooperation we render to our tax treaty partners is fully in line with global standards.

Third, the successful development of Singapore’s financial sector is underpinned by high standards of financial regulation and supervision, not low taxes per se. Singapore’s banking and financial system is open and transparent, and rules are rigorously enforced. Investors choose Singapore as the place in which to manage their wealth because of the country’s economic and political stability, sound regulation, rule of law, and depth of fund management expertise. While our laws provide customers of banks the right to confidentiality of information, banking confidentiality has never been a bar to providing information to assist domestic or foreign authorities in bona fide investigations of potential criminal activities.

mas.gov.sg/ news-and-publications/letters-to-editor/2012/ response-to-singapore-replaces-switzerland-as-tax-haven.aspx

BSI, a Swiss bank just got closed down in Singapore for having involvement with Malaysia's 1MDB probe.

Note: I still can't post links because I'm a newcomer.

Last edited:

Looks at Gia Long Emperor's, what he did in for develop the country froms 1882 afer reunification the country? and What Japan did from time of Minji in the same conditions ?

Gialong, he had turned back to confucis lectures and stopped trading relation with westerners, Vietnam was becoming backward and weak. Vietnam was loser in the war with France colonial 1858-1893. In fact Vietnam war extended from 1858 to 1990 ( around 130 year) counter invasim of France, Japan, American and China.

Today, there is time of globalism.

Last edited:
You seriously think just having a good port and 'low tax tax haven' is enough to propel us to PPP per capita GDP of $85K for 5.5 million people? If it was that simple; Panama, Cayman Islands, Egypt, Middle East and others would have many prosperous metropolis by now. Larger countries could also set aside an economic area and do the same.

It's sad to see many of our neighbors believe in their government and media that Singapore gain her undeserved success at their expenses, because lolChinese. And calling us a tax haven is quite inaccurate anyway. Here's a response from the Money Authority of Singapore to the foreign press:

mas.gov.sg/ news-and-publications/letters-to-editor/2012/ response-to-singapore-replaces-switzerland-as-tax-haven.aspx

BSI, a Swiss bank just got closed down in Singapore for having involvement with Malaysia's 1MDB probe.

Note: I still can't post links because I'm a newcomer.
wow! $85,000 GDP per capita is a world record, isn´t it. impressive. Hanoi still has a long way to go.

Hanoi airport (Noibai). the capacity will be doubled in the next years. plus a new airport is under consideration, planning stage.

IMG_3974.JPG

21391539683_4728c03277_b.jpg

22550191783_86a317baef_h.jpg

IMG_6574.jpg

IMG_4652.JPG

DSC_2768.JPG

IMG_9358_v1-vi.jpg

IMG_9362_v1-vi.jpg

wow! $85,000 GDP per capita is a world record, isn´t it. impressive. Hanoi still has a long way to go.

Nah Luxembourg and Qatar is higher than us. Our nominal GDP per capita is only $53K, and moreover we are a city-state. I think we still have a lot more to catch up to the big boys such as NYC, London, and Tokyo.

Vietnam's future is bright as long as there is political stability and corruption is kept to the minimum. Visited Vietnam before, and the Vietnamese are a bunch of hardworking and tough people. Quite unlike other SEA countries where the culture tend to be laid-back.

3:44

Hanoi, if in China, could rank as 3 tier city.

Data will tell the truth.
How about Wuxi?
Third tier?
GDP of Wuxi not very far from Vietnam.

GDP of my city is 170 billion dollars, growth nearly 9%.

Last edited:
Nah Luxembourg and Qatar is higher than us. Our nominal GDP per capita is only $53K, and moreover we are a city-state. I think we still have a lot more to catch up to the big boys such as NYC, London, and Tokyo.

Vietnam's future is bright as long as there is political stability and corruption is kept to the minimum. Visited Vietnam before, and the Vietnamese are a bunch of hardworking and tough people. Quite unlike other SEA countries where the culture tend to be laid-back.

3:44
as for political stability and corruption, I think the first goal is achievable, the second is much harder. I would wish our people can learn a lesson or two from Singapore. NYC, London, and Tokyo have a much large population, hardly comparable. Luxembourg is rich, but hasn´t any army at all. so if Germany wants to take over the country, sending an light infantry division over the border is enough :D

VN wants to build at least 5.1 million housing units in the next 10 years for low and middle income earners. as car ownership rises, a new decree demands at least 3 basement floors for parking in high rise buildings. not all developers are happy.

33_2.jpg

app.jpg

chung_cu_vzhc.jpg

as for political stability and corruption, I think the first goal is achievable, the second is much harder. I would wish our people can learn a lesson or two from Singapore. NYC, London, and Tokyo have a much large population, hardly comparable. Luxembourg is rich, but hasn´t any army at all. so if Germany wants to take over the country, sending an light infantry division over the border is enough :D

Singapore's fight for corruption is not easily applicable for other countries though, because we are very small. The person at the top (the PM) just need to be clean and ruthless against corruption, and all dirty acts can be easily exposed. In Vietnam or China, there are multiple layers of government and different political factions fighting. You can lose control of power if you clamp down too hard and too fast. In principle, it's applicable. But not in its implementation.

NYC, London, and Tokyo are international cities with well-diversified economy. We can learn from its diversification at a city level.

True. Military defence is a heavy burden for Singapore. 25% of our budget goes to defence. A small city spending almost the same amount with Indonesia and Malaysia combined, and our men have to go through a 2 year conscription. We are unlike Hong Kong, which simply relies on mainland China for defence and foreign policy. They can just keep the taxes low or use the money to develop their economy.

Singapore's fight for corruption is not easily applicable for other countries though, because we are very small. The person at the top (the PM) just need to be clean and ruthless against corruption, and all dirty acts can be easily exposed. In Vietnam or China, there are multiple layers of government and different political factions fighting. You can lose control of power if you clamp down too hard and too fast. In principle, it's applicable. But not in its implementation.

NYC, London, and Tokyo are international cities with well-diversified economy. We can learn from its diversification at a city level.

True. Military defence is a heavy burden for Singapore. 25% of our budget goes to defence. A small city spending almost the same amount with Indonesia and Malaysia combined, and our men have to go through a 2 year conscription. We are unlike Hong Kong, which simply relies on mainland China for defence and foreign policy. They can just keep the taxes low or use the money to develop their economy.
I think it is not wrong to spend huge money on defence considering your neighbors as Malaysia and Indonesia.
you are in a much better position, we have 1,000 more problems, corruption is just one of them. for example a lot of people fall victims every day to terrible traffics. last time when I visited VN, I was shocked. what a terrible condition we are facing. I like Singapore chicken rice, which is only beaten by Pho :D

2010-7-9-shiak+037.JPG

Back
Top Bottom