What's new

HAL's PMF/FGFA: The Truths You Always Suspected!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arp2041

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
PMF%20FGFA%20Aero%20India%202013.jpg

HAL displayed a scale model of the PMF/FGFA, which it is 'co-developing' with Sukhoi, at Aero India 2013. What is the scope of the co-development?

I try and provide some answers below, based on my discussion with an HAL official at Aero India 2013.

An HAL design team has been in Russia for a while.

The product page of HAL's website says, "PMF/FGFA will be co-developed with Russians. Sukhoi Design Bureau (SDB) has been selected as the Russian agency for this development project."

Several Indian military blogs have promoted the idea that the PMF/FGFA is being custom built for the IAF by Sukhoi and HAL based on the T-50 design.

Before the start of Aero India, one military blog talked about HAL unveiling its design of the PMF/FGFA at Aero India 2013. The blog had earlier 'leaked' a graphic showing the design of the PMF/FGFA.

Most of what has been written about the PMF/FGFA in the Indian military press is hype.

Here are my thoughts on the issue, based on my discussion with the HAL official.

The PMF/FGFA is not based on the PAK-FA/T-50, it is the PAK-FA/T-50!

There is no co-development as far as the aerodynamic design of the aircraft is concerned. There was never a new design to be leaked. The scale model on display at the HAL pavilion at Aero India 2013 was a scale model of the PAK-FA/T-50.

Physically, the PMF/FGFA is as different from the PAK-FA/T-50, just as the Su-30MKI is externally not different from the Su-30M.

The sensor suite and cockpit instrumentation on the PMF/FGFA will differ just as they differ in the Su-30MKI and Su-30M.

The PMF/FGFA will have a sensor suite that fits the role that the IAF envisages for it, which is different from the role that the Russian AF expects the PAK-FA/T-50 to play.

The PMF/FGFA will have instrumentation and displays of IAF's choice.

So what is the HAL design team doing in Russia?

I couldn't speak to an HAL official at Aero India who seemed to know. My guess is the design team is imbibing control law, sensor fusion, and other weapon attack and defense software algorithms being developed by the Russians for the aircraft, so that the IAF can tweak them to meet its requirements in the future.

It's inevitable that the HAL design team will learn a lot about stealth in the process of mastering the PMF/FGFA software. But don't expect HAL to start building its own stealth aircraft using the technology.

ADA is well ahead in the game and will remain the only agency capable of designing stealth aircraft in India for a long time to come.

When it comes to fighters, HAL prefers to be just a production agency, despite having first built a fighter in the country in the early sixties.

Will ADA's AMCA Gain From PMF/FGFA Co-development?

The simple answer is no. These are two independent programs and since the Indians are not Chinese it will remain that way.

Single or Twin Seater?

There was a lot of talk initially that the PMF/FGFA will be a twin seat variant of the T-50.

Despite the IAF's known preference for twin seat fighters, it has been decided to drop the idea of a twin seat PMF/FGFA, for the same reason that the AMCA is likely to be developed as a single seater. The reason being: Putting a second seat compromises the stealth characteristics of a fighter designed as a single seater, no matter what you do.

For the PMF/FGFA to be a twin seater, it would have to be co-developed from scratch. (Note the absence of quotes around co-developed!).

The truth is, HAL will not be ready for a geniuine co-development for many more decades.

Some twin seat versions of the PMF/FGFA will be built, but they will be largely for training squadron pilots.

http://vijainder.sawfnews.com/Articles/70439.aspx

My take: Though These aspects were always suspected but they were purely SPECULATIVE at best.

Good Thing: IAF can induct FGFA sooner as it will not be much different than PAK-FA.
Bad Thing: There is not much tech. gain for India from the project as was thought earlier.

Why do you post same thread twice ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom