What's new

Halima Aden makes history as the first model to wear a burkini in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue

Kailash Kumar

Reaction score
Country
Suriname
Halima Aden makes history as the first model to wear a burkini in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue

HAYLEY FITZPATRICK

Apr 29, 2019

Sports Illustrated is making history with its 2019 Swimsuit Issue.

The upcoming issue, on sale May 8, features Somali-American supermodel Halima Aden, 21, in a burkini, which is a full-body swimsuit worn by some Muslim women.

Aden, who was born in Kakuma, a refugee camp in Kenya, before moving to the U.S. in 2004, is not only the first model to wear a burkini in the annual swimsuit issue but is also the first hijab-wearing model.

Aden discussed the significance of her photo spread during an interview with "Good Morning America."

"Sports Illustrated is proving that a girl that's wearing a bikini could be right alongside a girl that's wearing a burkini. And as women we can come alongside each other and be each other’s biggest cheerleaders," she said.

burkini-2-ht-er-190428_hpEmbed_2x3_992.jpg

Halima Aden wears a burkini in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue 2019.

Aden said that she and the crew were overcome with emotion during the shoot, which took place in Kenya.

"We definitely had a lot of moments where everybody was, like, breaking down crying because it's a huge moment," she told "GMA." "Oh my gosh, like, just thinking about it. It's just so monumental."

MJ Day, editor of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, told "GMA" that the upcoming issue is "one of the biggest and broadest samplings of beauty that we've ever featured."

"Now girls are going to be able to see they don't have to change themselves," Aden said about her feature. "They don't have to conform to fit in."

burkini-1-ht-er-190428_hpMain_4x3_992.jpg

Halima Aden wears a burkini in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue 2019.

The model also revealed that it was also her first time shooting in the ocean wearing a swimsuit. "I felt like I was Beyoncé in that water, sis. I was like living my best life. It was incredible," she told "GMA's" Janai Norman. "It was a neat, neat experience. Something I probably will never get to experience again."

Day said to expect an issue like never before. "You see a wide range of age and race and levels of modesty within the issue this year that, you know, really is a first for us," she told "GMA."

Aden, a UNICEF ambassador since 2018, hopes to continue breaking down barriers.

"For me, what I've always been passionate about is combining fashion with activism. And, again, just breaking those stereotypes," she said.

UNICEF-ht-er-190428_hpEmbed_11x14_992.jpg

Halima Aden wearing a UNICEF shirt.

"Who says a girl wearing a hijab cannot shoot for SI? You know? Who says?" she said. "I want to continue to show girls these spaces that you think are not for me, like a girl like me could never be in this kind of space or do this kind of thing, I want to show them, 'Yes, you can. You're a queen. Yes, you can.'"

The magazine continues to push for more diversity. Last year, Danielle Herrington, 24, became the third African American model in the magazine's history to cover the annual swimsuit issue, following Tyra Banks in 1997 and Beyonce in 2007.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/...y-model-wear-burkini-sports/story?id=62688135

The Somali Women are usually very religious like Ilhan Omar.

But the Somali men are a disgrace, the majority just drink, smoke and involve in crime.

It is probably the biggest gender gap around.

It should be hi-story not history. In general History never based on/refer to such events.

Somali are some of the best muslims I've seen. Very few bad ones. Mostly very rightous o_Oo_O
The Somali Women are usually very religious like Ilhan Omar.

But the Somali men are a disgrace, the majority just drink, smoke and involve in crime.

It is probably the biggest gender gap around.

Liberal Baji
Has the sun risen from the West??
Is this a a dream??
Such words.....from you....waaaaaaaoooow
:o::o::o::o:
does she really have to take part in these types of events?

Liberal Baji
Has the sun risen from the West??
Is this a a dream??
Such words.....from you....waaaaaaaoooow
:o::o::o::o:
I am still the same, I assure you
I opposed this for different reasons
why must we Islamize everything? swimsuits themselves are not something Islam would allow. Taking part in such events while wearing an abomination called a "burkini" defeats the entire purpose of Islamic teaching, and the swimsuit event itself. This is a confusing situation which I cannot explain in words

Seems like This thread was created to Antagonise muslims ....feeble mind...

Somali are some of the best muslims I've seen. Very few bad ones. Mostly very rightous o_Oo_O

I should have been more specific to the UK. The Somali there have a bad reputation and other African have to remind that Somali is a particular country to avoid Westerners confusing us.

The Somali male youth are pretty heavily involved in drug trade, prostitution etc

But the women on the other hand are quite pious, it is a strange situation.

Agreed
This is not islam
There is no place for this
Nothing to be proud of!
Am not a religious person. Am a guy who likes to see as much of a woman as possible, I will admit that. So if you are a religious person, I will understand if I am not hold in high esteem in your eyes.

That said...

It is -- ultimately -- sad that a woman of a religious belief of modesty and piety would resort to catering to someone like me to even try to have her religion accepted. I am not impressed but actually disappointed at the lack of bodily exposure. The SI Swimsuit edition is Playboy Lite, like it or not. Am being honest, here.

There are two types of nuns: Vatican I and Vatican II.

Vatican I nuns are where the woman is covered from head to feet with only her face exposed. Vatican II nuns -- you would not recognize unless the nun tells you she is a 'sister'. Vatican II nuns are allowed to dress like 'regular' women.

https://people.howstuffworks.com/nun3.htm
After Vatican II, nuns quickly jettisoned their habits, and one order even consulted the design house of Christian Dior about what they should wear next.
And yet, we do not see Catholic nuns -- of any era -- trying to gain acceptance to men like me via the SI Swimsuit edition. There is no 'swimsuit' version of the nun's habit. And there will never be.

This is pandering to the base instincts of men, nothing more. Muslimahs should be offended, not proud.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom