What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Catch live action from Tejas cockpit on Friday
Chethan Kumar,TNN | Dec 18, 2013, 05.12 AM IST

BANGALORE: For the first time, agencies involved in designing and developing light combat aircraft (LCA) Tejas will display to the country what a pilot can do in its cockpit while the aircraft is in the sky.

Dedicating the aircraft to the nation, National Flight Testing Centre (NFTC) pilots will take it to the skies during an official flypast this Friday, marking the second Initial Operational Clearance (IOC-2) of Tejas.

Following this, the aircraft will be tested by IAF pilots and finally deemed fit for induction. This will happen after the Final Operational Clearance (FOC), expected to be achieved in 2015.

"On Friday, giant screens at the HAL airport will stream live videos of action from the cockpit," a senior DRDO official said, adding that the media will be allowed to telecast the same.

This will be the first time that the actual functioning of a pilot from a fighter aircraft will be streamed live to people. "We have come a long way since 1983, when the project was conceived. And we thought the people of the country must know the kind of technology we can boast of today," another official said.

The in-built cameras will provide visuals for the streaming. "We already have images taken during flight tests and other routine sorties in the past decade, but we are attempting to stream it live and show it to people on Friday," he said.

Speaking to TOI from Delhi, a senior official said, "Tejas now meets all the parameters prescribed by the IAF and is ready to be handed over."

Former IAF chief, Air Chief Marshal P V Naik, had on January 10, 2011 during IOC-1 said that LCA was not yet a fourth generation aircraft and that there was a long time before he would allow his men to fly it. The IAF had taken several objections to the aircraft and made it clear that it would not take the aircraft without it meeting all service quality requirements (SQRs).

Today, the LCA stands with a better angle of attack, which was only 17-19 degree in 2011. It has been integrated with electronic warfare systems and has met many other requirements the IAF had sought.

* Aug 1983: Rs 560-crore sanctioned for Project Definition

* June 16, 1984: Establishment of ADA

* Mid-1985: ADA begins full-fledged functioning

* 1988: Project Definition completed & proposal sent for project clearance

* 23 June 1993: Rs 2,188-crore including Rs 560-cr sanctioned earlier

* Jan 10, 2001: First Flight of LCA-Tejas

* 25 April, 2007: First flight of Limited Series Production (LSP) aircraft

* Jan 10, 2011: First Initial Operational Clearance ( IOC)

* Dec 20, 2013: Second IOC; laying foundation for Final Operational Clearance expected in 2015

Rs 7kcr spent so far

A total of about Rs 7,000 crore has been spent of the project definition, design and development of the Tejas MK-I. Overall, the government has sanctioned close to Rs 24,000 crore for the project. But this will comprise the complete project, including the design, development of LCA MK-II, the cost of the 40 aircraft ordered by the IAF, development of LCA-Navy MK-I and Mk-II.

Link - Catch live action from Tejas cockpit on Friday - The Times of India

Catch live action from Tejas cockpit on Friday
Chethan Kumar,TNN | Dec 18, 2013, 05.12 AM IST

BANGALORE: For the first time, agencies involved in designing and developing light combat aircraft (LCA) Tejas will display to the country what a pilot can do in its cockpit while the aircraft is in the sky.

Dedicating the aircraft to the nation, National Flight Testing Centre (NFTC) pilots will take it to the skies during an official flypast this Friday, marking the second Initial Operational Clearance (IOC-2) of Tejas.

Following this, the aircraft will be tested by IAF pilots and finally deemed fit for induction. This will happen after the Final Operational Clearance (FOC), expected to be achieved in 2015.

"On Friday, giant screens at the HAL airport will stream live videos of action from the cockpit," a senior DRDO official said, adding that the media will be allowed to telecast the same.

This will be the first time that the actual functioning of a pilot from a fighter aircraft will be streamed live to people. "We have come a long way since 1983, when the project was conceived. And we thought the people of the country must know the kind of technology we can boast of today," another official said.

The in-built cameras will provide visuals for the streaming. "We already have images taken during flight tests and other routine sorties in the past decade, but we are attempting to stream it live and show it to people on Friday," he said.

Speaking to TOI from Delhi, a senior official said, "Tejas now meets all the parameters prescribed by the IAF and is ready to be handed over."

Former IAF chief, Air Chief Marshal P V Naik, had on January 10, 2011 during IOC-1 said that LCA was not yet a fourth generation aircraft and that there was a long time before he would allow his men to fly it. The IAF had taken several objections to the aircraft and made it clear that it would not take the aircraft without it meeting all service quality requirements (SQRs).

Today, the LCA stands with a better angle of attack, which was only 17-19 degree in 2011. It has been integrated with electronic warfare systems and has met many other requirements the IAF had sought.

* Aug 1983: Rs 560-crore sanctioned for Project Definition

* June 16, 1984: Establishment of ADA

* Mid-1985: ADA begins full-fledged functioning

* 1988: Project Definition completed & proposal sent for project clearance

* 23 June 1993: Rs 2,188-crore including Rs 560-cr sanctioned earlier

* Jan 10, 2001: First Flight of LCA-Tejas

* 25 April, 2007: First flight of Limited Series Production (LSP) aircraft

* Jan 10, 2011: First Initial Operational Clearance ( IOC)

* Dec 20, 2013: Second IOC; laying foundation for Final Operational Clearance expected in 2015

Rs 7kcr spent so far

A total of about Rs 7,000 crore has been spent of the project definition, design and development of the Tejas MK-I. Overall, the government has sanctioned close to Rs 24,000 crore for the project. But this will comprise the complete project, including the design, development of LCA MK-II, the cost of the 40 aircraft ordered by the IAF, development of LCA-Navy MK-I and Mk-II.

Link - Catch live action from Tejas cockpit on Friday - The Times of India
This is awsme...looking forward to friday...

Hi-tech Tejas hangar goes live; first aircraft likely in 3 months.

Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) has set up a state-of-the-art facility with some of the best aerospace manufacturing technologies to take up the Tejas series production. With the built-up area of 28,000 sq meters, the Light Combat Aircraft (Production Group) has already started the series production of Tejas with the mandate of delivering the first aircraft (SP-1) to the Indian Air Force (IAF) by March 2014. The new facility has LCA structural assembly hangar, two flights hangars and machine shops to augment the Tejas production. Backed with a workforce of over 700 personnel, with 80 per cent being in the average age group of 30 years, the set-up has come up with a sanction of approximately Rs 400 crore. Each Tejas platform should cost the IAF around Rs 200 crore. The equipment fitting on SP-1 began this year and 75 per cent of the aircraft structure is already ready. First 20 aircraft will be rolled out in the initial operational clearance configuration, while the next 20 will be in the final operational clearance format. HAL plans to take the production rate to 16 aircraft per year from 2017 onwards.

Each LCA will cost the IAF around 200 Crores which is 32 Million $. :enjoy:

This is the best part of the news article.

This basically means for 3 Billion $ we can have a 100 LCA or for 25 Billion $ we can have 800 LCA ..... just saying :D

How may Rafale for 25 billion $ ? 126 ? :azn:

This basically means for 3 Billion $ we can have a 100 LCA or for 25 Billion $ we can have 800 LCA ..... just saying :D

I think this is only development cost, production cost to be added extra and the cost per unit will come down when we produce more.

I think we need to talk to Vietnam or other interested parties now onwards for exports.

^^^awesome... good to see assym jigs after a long time!!!!

irrespective of popular views, my sources infer the actual number will be far more in numbers...

LCA mkII with Astra II ,NG-LGB (ADE) would be a sight to see...

Awesome,

IAF must be really satisfied with this bird.
How many are far more and which version?

I think this is only development cost, production cost to be added extra and the cost per unit will come down when we produce more.

I think we need to talk to Vietnam or other interested parties now onwards for exports.
Lets arm IAF first....

Awesome,

IAF must be really satisfied with this bird.
How many are far more and which version?
there will be further developments on the Mk2 ... once the development goes to HAL,

From where are you getting this remarkable number of 25 billion?

Lets arm IAF first....

there will be further developments on the Mk2 ... once the development goes to HAL,

What kind of further development bro? You got me excited now.

Tejas Hangar Goes Live; First Aircraft in 3 Months

Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) has set up a state-of-the-art facility equipped with some of the best aerospace manufacturing technologies to take up the Tejas series production. With a built-up area of 28,000 sq m, the Light Combat Aircraft (Production Group) has already started the series production of Tejas with the mandate of delivering the first aircraft (SP-1) to the Indian Air Force (IAF) by March 2014.

The new facility has LCA structural assembly hangar, two flights hangars and machine shops to augment the Tejas production. Backed with a workforce of over 700 personnel, with 80 per cent being in the average age group of 30 years, the set-up has come up with a sanction of approximately Rs. 400 crore.

Each Tejas platform should cost the IAF around Rs. 200 crore. The equipment fitting on SP-1 began this year and 75 per cent of the aircraft structure is already ready.

First 20 aircraft will be rolled out in the initial operational clearance configuration, while the next 20 will be in the final operational clearance format.

The HAL plans to take the production rate to 16 aircraft per year from 2017 onwards. The facility will be upgraded to a major manufacturing complex consisting of sheet metal shop, process shop and heat treatment shop.

Additional hangars are also coming up for support and maintenance, with further augmentation in the pipeline to accommodate the Tejas trainers and naval variant.

All hangars are equipped with forced draft systems to maintain dust, humidity and temperature control.

The HAL has given the mandate to head the new facility to V Sridharan, who has worked extensively on Jaguar and Hawk programmes.

“We have embedded the Tejas production with best lean practices in manufacturing. Maintaining highest quality standards have been the driving philosophy behind, while setting up this unit,” HAL chairman R K Tyagi told Express from Delhi.

Batting for the private industry, the HAL said a total of 9,362 fabricated parts will be manufactured by its external supply chain. “This step is critical in propelling HAL as a lead integrator in the national aerospace ecosystem,” Tyagi said.

A gen-next 5-axis CNC machine installed at the facility is capable of robotically undertaking the wing skin drilling, thereby reducing the turnaround time by 80 per cent. The manufacturing jigs have been calibrated with computer-aided laser tracker to 80 micron tolerance. The manufacturing shop has been equipped with appropriate CAD software for working with digital mockup features.

To aid the IAF’s Tejas squadron formation and associated flight operations, the HAL has built a brand new 5000 sq m tarmac right next to the manufacturing hangar.

The flightline group from the new Tejas facility has supported six detachments (outstation trials)this year. The Tejas variants have also logged the highest ever number of flights (485) this year.

Tejas Hangar Goes Live; First Aircraft in 3 Months -The New Indian Express

AOA was increased from 17* to 22* and it can touch 24*

I like that part most. I expect 26* to 28* in FOC.

Mach 1.4 speed is disappointing. How ever Mach has 2 parameter. Some body consider 1067 KMPH while others consider 1230 KMPH. I hope it is second case. Ajay shukla had mentioned that it easily flies at 1699 KM/ hr. I hope that it has increased since than. I expect to touch 1920 KMPH , its design speed.

1525537_507803755983621_1542412845_n.jpg

SP-1 work in progress..!!

^^^awesome... good to see assym jigs after a long time!!!!

irrespective of popular views, my sources infer the actual number will be far more in numbers...

LCA mkII with Astra II ,NG-LGB (ADE) would be a sight to see...

You won't see AESA but it will be very important as well. Only Kaveri is lacking. Come Kaveri come.

AOA was increased from 17* to 22* and it can touch 24*

I like that part most. I expect 26* to 28* in FOC.

Mach 1.4 speed is disappointing. How ever Mach has 2 parameter. Some body consider 1067 KMPH while others consider 1230 KMPH. I hope it is second case. Ajay shukla had mentioned that it easily flies at 1699 KM/ hr. I hope that it has increased since than. I expect to touch 1920 KMPH , its design speed.
1 Mach = 1225 KMPH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom