What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions-[Thread 2]

Is there a noted MX interval for this aircraft listed at the moment?

Also, is the life limit for the structure listed at the moment?

We don't have data on the Maintenance intervals as of now.

As for Total Technical Life limit, it is currently estimated to be 9,000 hours. It could be even higher as the static sample's fatigue testing is completed, which is currently in progress. Current estimate is based on the fatigue data recorded by the onboard HUMS.

This article, which reproduces a speech at a conference by Air Marshal Raghunath Nambiar should lay to rest all those that doubt the capability of the Tejas. This is from the June-July 2018, that's 2 years ago. The No.45 Squadron is now even more experienced on the Tejas and more capabilities have been added on from the FOC.

So basically the Tejas, within months of being inducted into the IAF at IOC level, beat ALL other IAF fighters in the air to ground range scores and weapon delivery.
Pilots were hardly even experienced with it and they could beat experienced pilots on the Mirage-2000, Su-30MKI, Jaguars, MiG-27s and MiG-21s. Not sure if the MiG-29 (non-upgraded) was used in Exercise Gagan Shakti for air to ground strikes.

He also clearly articulated the IAF's backing for the Tejas Mk2, now called the Medium Weight Fighter (MWF). He clearly stated that it is bench-marked against the Mirage-2000, performance wise. Avionics will be far superior to what the current Mirage-2000I has.

MWF will begin to replace MiG-29s first (10 years from then - viz. 2028), then Jaguars (15 years from then- viz. 2032) and finally, Mirage-2000 (20 years from then - viz. 2038)

Article PDF link

As far as the Make in India plan goes, we are at the moment procuring the LCA Mk I. It is being purchased in two
stages: We have the IOC (Initial Operational Clearance) variant, 20 of which were ordered in 2006, of which nine have been delivered and the remaining eleven, we believe will be delivered in the next two years. We have ordered another 20 LCAs, which are the FOC (Final Operational Clearance) variant, and these will be delivered after the IOC variant is complete. The LCA Mark I fleet, we have restricted to these 40 aircraft.

Subsequent to the above, we intend to procure the Mark IA, which is an improved version of the LCA Mark I and has a new radar and advanced EW capabilities. It is, however, essentially the Mark I, with a few add ons. We have issued an RFP in December 2017, to get an additional 83 aircrafts of this type.

It must be stated that the LCA Mark 1 and Mark 1A are very good aircraft. We recently conducted a major exercise called Gagan Shakti, and the LCA performed remarkably well. The best range scores and the best weapon delivery emerged from the nine LCAs we had fielded, which really worked wonders.

This gives me the confidence to state that the LCA will see us through the next 20 years, if not more, in technological capability terms.

The first squadron of the LCA, 45 Squadron, also called the ‘Flying Daggers,’ has recently shifted from Bangalore, where they were being looked after by HAL to Sulur. They are now operating in a more operational scenario and are being put through the full spectrum of air operations as envisaged by the IAF.

Our aircraft of the future, as we perceive it as of today, is the LCA Mark II. This aircraft, we believe, will replace the MiG 29 in the next ten years, the Jaguar in the next 15 years and the Mirage 2000 in the next 20 years. All combined, this adds up to a total of twelve squadrons.

The requirements of the IAF for the LCA Mark II are centred on two crucial points. First, it has to be cutting edge,
to the tune of its best electronic warfare capability and best weapons. As far as performance goes, we have pegged the performance to the level of the Mirage 2000, which is an aircraft already 35 years in our inventory. We are therefore not aiming for the moon, but for space at best. Therefore, our requirements have already been crystallised, our designers are at it, and given the fact that we have pitched ourselves at a level at which they are capable of generating and making, we will have an aircraft which will be in time in the next ten years or so.

It will be the Mark II and will be a different breed of aircraft — probably bigger, probably more powerful and
definitely capable of lifting much more load. We are envisaging an aircraft that can lift at least 6.5 tons of weapon
load as compared to the LCA and LCA I which lifts about 3.8 tons.

We are also looking at six squadrons of fighter aircraft through the strategic partner route. A lot of doubting
Thomas’s doubt whether this will happen. We believe it will. We believe we require this aircraft to bridge over the fighter gap which we see happening in our inventory as the years go
by.

Our future is the Advance Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA). This is not just wishful thinking. We have committed
land, money and a lot of thought to this programme, and we believe that in the next 15 years, we will have the AMCA prototype, the NGTD1 (Next Generation Technology Demonstrator) and the NGTD 2 flying. We intend to have this aircraft in collaboration with the DRDO, with the Public Private Partnership model, flying out of Sulur by that date.

We have broad concurrence from the government, the DRDO is on board and an expression of interest is already in the market for establishing a partnership for the AMCA.

Our bottomline is to have indigenously built fighters which will form the bulk of the IAF inventory by 2032. Mark II of the LCA will be as many as 12 squadrons. That is how we envisage the IAF to be heading.

But just to be sure: squadron has resurrected does not mean any aircraft are already delivered? ... and if yes, when will that happen?
Squadron resurrected in Apr itself, at least two airframes may be with the team, I am not certain.

Something very much different I stumbled across as the SDF:

Well, that's indeed a major surprise I did not know!

LCA as a Sinio-Indian project.JPG

Any idea when this was proposed and where this report is from (looks like from Flight International)?

Imagine, if things had turned differently, a JF-17 in IAF-colors. :cheesy:

But just to be sure: squadron has resurrected does not mean any aircraft are already delivered? ... and if yes, when will that happen?

There are a lot of administrative work related things that need to be done as well. Pilots and technicians will be transferred to the squadron, infrastructure set up and such will start.

The expectation was to have 2 aircraft handed over No.18 'Flying Bullets' to start operations. That is how No.45 'Flying Daggers' started ops as well. HAL should hand over 12 single seater Tejas FOC fighters to No.18 this year, if Covid-19 related lockdowns haven't disrupted suppliers too much. There was a 1 month closure at HAL as well.

@Deino As per this article, squadron will start with 4 FOC fighters.
Anyhow we will see the images shortly.
Flying Bullets Is All Set To Become The Second IAF Tejas Squadron
http://delhidefencereview.com/2020/...tejas-squadron/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The Squadron patch is also shown, thanks to DDR for the same:
XQvKmZG.png

Love the new patch!

@Deino As per this article, squadron will start with 4 FOC fighters.
Anyhow we will see the images shortly.

Thanks, but I must admit from all report I read including several ones from highly respected and most reliable sources, all say, that NONE of these mentioned Tejas is actually ready and it all depends on what you define on "soon" or "shortly".

Even the report itself says so:

upload_2020-5-26_21-32-4.png

Thanks, but I must admit from all report I read including several ones from highly respected and most reliable sources, all say, that NONE of these mentioned Tejas is actually ready and it all depends on what you define on "soon" or "shortly".

Even the report itself says so:

View attachment 635753
Wait..what..indians are claiming they are operational since 2012?.
Here is i see its 2020 with no clear operational status?

I think images will be out by today evening.

Wait..what..indians are claiming they are operational since 2012?.
Here is i see its 2020 with no clear operational status?
There are hundreds of other threads where you can troll aimlessly, not this one FFS.

Back
Top Bottom