What's new

HAL”s IMRH parameters to be frozen by 2014

Hmmm, so this is still going to happen!

Wait and see, because this is just another public statement by the industry, not by MoD or the forces. Infact, much speaks against it now!
Once the dealy of the partner search, since that has started some years ago with Russians and Europeans showing interest.
Secondly, the high numbers of foreign helicopters that currently will be ordered. IAF with the Mi 17, IN possibly with the S70.

Also I think the article is not realy reliable either, IMRH was meant to be a new developed helicopter, not a modified version of an existing helicopter, which is just nonsense.
Much to my regret, HAL still don't thinks about NG helicopters as it seems and "just" want to build another normal one. That's a mistake, especially since we currently have excellent possibilities to join such projects!

Russia - Mil X1 & Ka 92

USA - Sikorsky X2 / S97

Europe - Eurocopter X3

The next replacement in the IAF would be the older Mi 17s in some years, which now will get their first upgrade only, while IN might not have any need at anymore, after the coming procurements, so the speculated numbers might not be actual anymore. One more reason to go for a NG helicopter and plan for the long term, while improving Dhruv version (especially for IN and ICG) would make more sense to provide an indigenous alternative.

Wait and see, because this is just another public statement by the industry, not by MoD or the forces. Infact, much speaks against it now!
Once the dealy of the partner search, since that has started some years ago with Russians and Europeans showing interest.
Secondly, the high numbers of foreign helicopters that currently will be ordered. IAF with the Mi 17, IN possibly with the S70.

Also I think the article is not realy reliable either, IMRH was meant to be a new developed helicopter, not a modified version of an existing helicopter, which is just nonsense.
Much to my regret, HAL still don't thinks about NG helicopters as it seems and "just" want to build another normal one. That's a mistake, especially since we currently have excellent possibilities to join such projects!

Russia - Mil X1 & Ka 92

USA - Sikorsky X2 / S97

Europe - Eurocopter X3

The next replacement in the IAF would be the older Mi 17s in some years, which now will get their first upgrade only, while IN might not have any need at anymore, after the coming procurements, so the speculated numbers might not be actual anymore. One more reason to go for a NG helicopter and plan for the long term, while improving Dhruv version (especially for IN and ICG) would make more sense to provide an indigenous alternative.

This could be another case of developing for development's sake. Just look at the HTT-40 fiasco, despite the IAF ACM no less, saying in no uncertain terms that the IAF has no need for the HTT-40, HAL are insistent on developing the BTT-why??

And yes like I pointed out, the part about the IMRH being a modified version of an existing foreign helo is a completely new take on what the IMRH will be and this hasn't been mentioned at all in the past. Seems to be another goof-up by the Indian media.

This could be another case of developing for development's sake. Just look at the HTT-40 fiasco, despite the IAF ACM no less, saying in no uncertain terms that the IAF has no need for the HTT-40, HAL are insistent on developing the BTT-why??

At least HAL is doing the projects in the right way, but I also see a big problem of the industry selecting developments according to what they think is needed and if the government approves it, the forces will set up requirements for it, but logically it must be the other way around!

- forces tells government what they need and with what requirements
- governement asks Indian industry (including privat once) if they can do it
- if it can't be developed in India, they have to look at foreign options

But as said, logic is often rated lower in India than pride. HTT-40, HJT-39, N-LCA, AMCA for IAF, AWACS India, the development of an own AIP without having developed a single SSK alone, the new anti radation missile, all not necessarily needed.

Back
Top Bottom