boomslang

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hagel to tour China's new aircraft carrier
Published April 06, 2014
Associated Press
Facebook11 Twitter183 Gplus1

Apr. 6, 2014: U.S. Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel, left, speaks during a meeting with Japanese Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera at the Japanese Ministry of Defense headquarters in Tokyo, Japan.

TOKYO – U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is expected to get a rare tour Monday of China's first aircraft carrier, becoming the first foreign visitor to go aboard the ship.

A senior defense official said Hagel requested the visit, which comes a day after he told reporters that China must better respect its neighbors -- a pointed allusion to Beijing's ongoing territorial dispute with Japan and others over remote islands in the East China Sea. He also has continued to urge Beijing to be more transparent about its expanding military.

China spent a decade refurbishing the derelict Soviet-era carrier bought from Ukraine before commissioning it as the Liaoning in 2012. It moved to Qingdao in February 2013 and is part of a major expansion of the Chinese navy that includes sophisticated new surface ships and submarines.

Early this year the Liaoning completed sea trials in the South China Sea. The official Xinhua News Agency said the carrier tested its combat system, conducted a formation practice and "attained the anticipated objectives."

On Dec. 5, early in the Liaoning's trial run, one of the Chinese ships accompanying it was involved in a near collision with a U.S. Navy cruiser, the USS Cowpens, when it was operating in international waters in the South China Sea. U.S. Navy officials said the Cowpens maneuvered to avoid the collision, but it marked the two nations' most serious sea confrontation in years.

At the time, a Chinese media report said the U.S. ship got too close to the Liaoning.

Hagel is on a 10-day trip to the Asia Pacific region and was leaving Japan Monday to travel to China. He is scheduled to meet with senior Chinese leaders before traveling to Mongolia, then returning home.

I guess Hagel needs a laugh.:woot:

Sure, he can tell to his buddies in Japan to stop cooking up China's "threat".

vsp6kKm.jpg

vsp6kKm.jpg

this really characterises their relationship. Good shot.

After seeing the Liaoning, Hagel is going to have his home re-furbished by Chinese contractors immediately. He is going to pass the good messages on to all the people at Capitol Hill and staff! Are you ready China?

Last edited:
New aircraft carrier ? I think that's very old one.
Tell me when it was launched ?

is it ? just google "liaoning launched"

December 4, 1988
Chinese aircraft carrier Liaoning, Launched

It takes 10 years for China to arm this carrier from 2002-2012

Last edited:
Better you than US.
What? It is our advice to you. Who start to change the status quo on Diaoyu dispute? It was Japan. The act of nationalizing a dispute island in which we agreed to shield the dispute 30 years ago is a grave provocative move.

New aircraft carrier ? I think that's very old one.
Tell me when it was launched ?

is it ? just google "liaoning launched"

December 4, 1988
Chinese aircraft carrier Liaoning, Launched

It takes 10 years for China to arm this carrier from 2002-2012

I wrote a detailed educational para to hindustanis about it somewhere in this Section dig it up somewhere in AC related threads, it is a brand new AC... China took long time because it was studying alot of AC internal designs and technologies that would be incorporated and other feasibility reports, the development of AC took less time not 10 years, A country was planning to build and then built an AC not a vietnamese tuck boat.

Next time do you good reseach.

I wrote a detailed educational para to hindustanis about it somewhere in this Section dig it up somewhere in AC related threads, it is a brand new AC... China took long time because it was studying alot of AC internal designs and technologies that would be incorporated and other feasibility reports, the development of AC took less time not 10 years, A country was planning to build and then built an AC not a vietnamese tuck boat.

Next time do you good reseach.
Correct. The internal is completely new. The outside is simply a shield cover. Due to the shape and size of this shield cover, we can't fully display our technologies. Don't worry world, we will not agree to have USA eyes checking out our aircraft carrier if we are not confident that it will impress the US. Wait for the next few days, news will be out about US "surprise" with the carrier..

Correct. The internal is completely new. The outside is simply a shield cover. Due to the shape and size of this shield cover, we can't fully display our technologies. Don't worry world, we will not agree to have USA eyes checking out our aircraft carrier if we are not confident that it will impress the US. Wait for the next few days, news will be out about US "surprise" with the carrier..

Surprise about the carrier, nothing to impress Hagel because they never interested in diesel-powered carrier since 50 years ago ?
better, you should impress him by J15

Infact the outer part/section of hull is also brand new, the AC was partially complete less than 20% I believe completing whole 80% and modernization and upgrading complete to 100% is no easy task but what do vietnamese know, China bought and studied 3-4 Aircraft Carriers before this one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom