What's new

"Had Abhinandan Varthaman Been Flying Rafale...": Ex-Air Chief

Had Abhinandan been flying Rafael then the possible outcome would have been that he would have turned his tail as the Su-30MKI and Mirage-2000 did; provided he would not have entered the electronic jamming zone. Otherwise, the result would have been somewhat the same, i.e. getting shot down. Failure of IAF's response on 27th Feb 2019 was not due to technology but planning, and perhaps personnel as well.

I wouldn't be too surprised. The US pitched F-16 Block 60 or better at the IAF MMRCA and F-16 must have been thoroughly evaluated. Also, the Singaporean Air Force has routinely exercised with IAF, I also read somewhere that some Singaporean F-16's were parked at some IAF Base.

The EW suite on the Rafale is said to be so good that it makes the Jet virtually stealth to locking. If the suite is indeed so good, the locking of missiles on Rafale would be an additional challenge, after being able to detect it.

At the very least we have to make sure our AWACS aircraft can detect this fighter at some distance and from certain angles. True it may be a reduce distance due to EW jamming, but PAF needs to find a way to make sure the Erieye can detect the Rafale as early as possible. Perhaps a “Lock-on-Jam” function to detect not the exact location but the vicinity of a target and use new algorithms to over power the enemy’s jamming, and detect the Rafale. It may require an upgrade, but if the PAF can demystify the Rafale it will make the IAF lose the perception that they should try more adventurism. Upgrading the Erieye also plays on the Indian inferiority complex vis a vi White people.

The Rafale’s spectra system works on the Doppler principle, if I’m not mistaken. One possible way to country this is using multiple Aesa radars to generate different beams from different angles, tens if not hundreds of km apart. Such as wo Th that new Turkish HALE drone equipped with an AESA radar, EW, and modern comms. Then with the use of triangulations and large passive arrays and large arrays operating in different bands on the ground, data can be fused to detect not just to detect the Rafale but even more modern planes.

If the PAF in an exercise with Qatar can quietly release that the Erieye, with a Global Eye (GaN) and new algorithms upgrade was able to detect the Rafale at 100’s of Kms out, they will be forced to rethink their capabilities, hopefully leading to forces inside India recommending their government doesn’t try anything. Deterrence being maintained, conventionally.

Last edited:
After every war the loosing side usually have so many "Hads", something like "If our soldiers had same size balls as our enemy"

@The Eagle : I hope you dont delete this post as used English bad word (balls) instead of urdu (tattey)

Ironic.

Before PAF F-16s were Upgraded, the Indian members proudly talked that IAF Mig-21 can bring down PAF F-16. Mig-21 being BVR capable and F-16 non-BVR.

Times change.

Now if somebody thinks that Rafale will eat up PAF jets... time and tide waits for no one.

dual rack PL-15s will put rafails in its place!

At the very least we have to make sure our AWACS aircraft can detect this fighter at some distance and from certain angles. True it may be a reduce distance due to EW jamming, but PAF needs to find a way to make sure the Erieye can detect the Rafale as early as possible. Perhaps a “Lock-on-Jam” function to detect not the exact location but the vicinity of a target and use new algorithms to over power the enemy’s jamming, and detect the Rafale. It may require an upgrade, but if the PAF can demystify the Rafale it will make the IAF lose the perception that they should try more adventurism. Upgrading the Erieye also plays on the Indian inferiority complex vis a vi White people.

The Rafale’s spectra system works on the Doppler principle, if I’m not mistaken. One possible way to country this is using multiple Aesa radars to generate different beams from different angles, tens if not hundreds of km apart. Such as wo Th that new Turkish HALE drone equipped with an AESA radar, EW, and modern comms. Then with the use of triangulations and large passive arrays and large arrays operating in different bands on the ground, data can be fused to detect not just to detect the Rafale but even more modern planes.

If the PAF in an exercise with Qatar can quietly release that the Erieye, with a Global Eye (GaN) and new algorithms upgrade was able to detect the Rafale at 100’s of Kms out, they will be forced to rethink their capabilities, hopefully leading to forces inside India recommending their government doesn’t try anything. Deterrence being maintained, conventionally.

I am quite convinced that the true potential of SPECTRA would be available only with RAFALE operators. If we did have our hands on Qatar's RAFALE, and if rumors are true and our Pilots have been trained on RAFALE, then we would be in a good position to build strategies against it.

I am quite convinced that the true potential of SPECTRA would be available only with RAFALE operators. If we did have our hands on Qatar's RAFALE, and if rumors are true and our Pilots have been trained on RAFALE, then we would be in a good position to build strategies against it.

To know the full capability of the Rafale’s spectra system would require being at the very least an operator, but there is a lot that can be learned by exercising against the aircraft in a through manner, such as at our sensor laden Air Force training range. Qatari Rafales against the test aircraft; a civilian jet (so as not to give away the capabilities of the Erieye or JF-17 to the Rafale) fitted with various sensors (Aesa, EW, ESM, IRST, and other passive receivers for ground based sensors) could bring up enough data to learn how the system works, so that we can build a model of the Rafale to feed into a Chinese supercomputer. With systems like DCS, but enhanced for the Electro-Magnetic spectrum; we could run thousands of simulations of how best to search for, identify, and track a Rafale from all angles and with all its different jamming options.

Back
Top Bottom