What's new

GSLV Mk III-D1/GSAT-19 Mission Live

tem44r5.png

GSLV-Mk III breaks jinx of failed debut rocket launches

Well ISRO has been unable to master effectively enough the more complex "staged combustion cycle" that is why they are utilising the less efficient "gas generator cycle" never the less credit where credit is due, they had their objectives which was to launch a 4 tonne payload to Geostationary orbit, not an easy task by any means, props to the folks at ISRO as they had many failures over the years and they have certainly learned from those failures as has been demonstrated by this successful launch.Kudos

I can give one better possibility,we could have grab few German scientists soon after our independence by offering huge amount of money as salary, ofcourse far better than what they were getting from US government ( remember NASA wasn't existing by that time). Suppose if that happened we could have been in moon possibly in mars too.

CV Raman tried to hire German scientists to teach in IISC but the the then colonial masters rejected the idea and removed him from IISC president post.

Sputnik News

https://sputniknews.com/military/201706051054328885-india--tech-rocket/

Indian space scientists have been looking for cryogenic rocket technology since the mid-1980s. The hope of getting it via USSR buckled in 1991 with the disintegration of Soviet Union. Before 1991, the USSR didn't pass it on as part of MTCR and other Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) detente with the United States. There were multiple treaties which stopped the transfer of technology to countries that were not signatories to Non-Proliferation Treaty.

The US imposed sanctions on India first in 1974, when the first nuclear test was carried out. In 1998, India tested nuclear devices for the second time, leading to more sanctions and therefore the denial of cryogenic engine technology.

The project may have been started in the 2000s but it's the lack of engine technology which has held back such projects.

"Export controls on strategic technologies were used to prevent India from developing missile or nuclear technology. Since the early 2000s, the rationale of technology export control regimes and its dynamics have undergone some change. Despite technology controls, the West, and the US, in particular, had to recognize the new reality, that they could not entirely control the spread of technology," Rajeshwari Rajagopalan Pillai, Senior fellow and Head, Nuclear & Space Policy Initiative, at the New Delhi-based Observer Research Foundation, told Sputnik.

Capable of carrying a payload of 4,000 kg into the geosynchronous transfer orbit (GTO) at 36,000 km, and 10,000 kg into the lower earth orbit (LEO) at around 800 km, the GSLV Mark III's first successful suborbital test flight was conducted on December 18, 2014, according to the official website of ISRO.

Well ISRO has been unable to master effectively enough the more complex "staged combustion cycle" that is why they are utilising the less efficient "gas generator cycle" never the less credit where credit is due, they had their objectives which was to launch a 4 tonne payload to Geostationary orbit, not an easy task by any means, props to the folks at ISRO as they had many failures over the years and they have certainly learned from those failures as has been demonstrated by this successful launch.Kudos

Wow!! Such a Great Knowledge about Indian Space Program.

Actually ISRO is Unknown to "staged combustion cycle".

But Lets play a Quiz.

Q) What is India's first Launch Vehicle to "Geo Synchronous Orbit" ???

A) GSLV

Q) What was the Engine used in Third Stage of GSLV???

A) it was CE-7.5.

Q) What is CE-7.5???

A) CE-7.5 is CUS.

Q) What is CUS???

A) CUS is "Cryogenic Upper Stage".

Q) When CE-7.5 was tested??

A) It was Tested in 2008.

Q) What are the specification of CE-7.5???

A) CE-7.5 develops a thrust of 73 kilo Newtons (kN) in vacuum with a specific impulse of 454 seconds and provides a payload capability of 2200 Kg to Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO) for GSLV.

Q) What TYPE of TECHNOLOGY is USED in CE-7.5.

A) The Engine CE-7.5 works on 'STAGED COMBUSTION CYCLE' with an integrated turbopump running at around 42,000 rotations per minute (rpm). It is also equipped with two steering engines developing a thrust of 2 kN each to enable three-axis control of the launch vehicle during the mission. Another unique feature of this engine is the closed loop control of both thrust and mixture ratio, which ensures optimum propellant utilisation for the mission.

Dear "Mr. GENIUS SCHOLAR" @django ISRO India had mastered 'STAGED COMBUSTION CYCLE' way back in 2008.

NOW MR.GENIUS SCHOLAR, to Facilitate your FUTURE RESEARCH. Please EDUCATE yourself with following Link:
http://www.isro.gov.in/hi/node/591

@Dragon4 Our Resident Scholar as bunked some portion of his studies.

P.S.: ISRO INDIA HAS "4(FOUR) CONSECUTIVE SUCCESSFUL LAUNCHES" OF GSLV-II WHICH USES CE-7.5 WHICH USES "STAGED COMBUSTION CYCLE" TECHNOLOGY. THE LAUNCHES WERE MADE ON: 05, JAN 2014; 27 AUG 2015; 8 SEP 2016; 05 MAY 2017.

BUT DESPITE "04(FOUR) CONSECUTIVE SUCCESSFUL LAUNCHES" ACCORDING TO OUR "RESIDENT SCHOLAR" ISRO INDIA IS UNABLE TO MASTER "STAGED COMBUSTION CYCLE".

Dear Mr. Scholar "Neither I am TONGUE TIED, BUT YES, I AM EAGER TO TELL YOU".

Last edited:
From the above highlighted discrepancy pointed out by me, its obvious that most of the Indians here do not know the basic of how the communication satellites work.

They even overlooked the crucial part of it.

Lol baba lol

I also observed the phenomenon. Indians love sensational headlines, and Indian media knows a sensational headline sells; then Indians complain about the media sensationalism while craving for even more sensational headlines. Just like the 132.8 exaflops Super-supercomputer story.

Ariane 5
Falcon family
Delta
Saturn
Soyuz
Long March

All above use open (power) cycle aka Gas Generator cycle.

I also observed the phenomenon. Indians love sensational headlines, and Indian media knows a sensational headline sells; then Indians complain about the media sensationalism while craving for even more sensational headlines. Just like the 132.8 exaflops Super-supercomputer story.

You are 100% right on this subject.
Thats why I don't indulge with these frivolous, know nothing, Google dependent & snoutband posters here.
Most are on my ignore list.

You are 100% right on this subject.
Thats why I don't indulge with these frivolous, know nothing, Google dependent & snoutband posters here.
Most are on my ignore list.

Chinese in the other hand, don't buy media headlines. Being in a society that lacks western style "free media", Chinese are naturally "critical thinkers". They pick on every government media, especially the ones that are pro-government, and mock them to death on social media.

By the way, you are one exceptional Indian!

In your enthu you have copy pasted the wrong satellite. Insat 11 .
The satellite launched was insat 19.
Insat 11
will be launched by month end by ESA.
Kindly copy paste properly in future.

So how does a GSAT becomes Insat?
Oh you are newbie?
Ok I let you go.
But not before I ignore you.

Now for that GSAT-11 I did not make any mistake by pasting it.
Just showing that even the bigger Indian satellite has 40 transponder.
Comprende?

Chinese in the other hand, don't buy media headlines. Being in a society that lacks western style "free media", Chinese are naturally "critical thinkers". They pick on every government media, especially the ones that are pro-government, and mock them to death on social media.

By the way, you are one exceptional Indian!

This frequent-flyer has traveled a lot.
Leaving Malaysia on 11th again for a week's vacation.

I am in a position to compare India with other countries, because I have a hands down experience which these Indians lack. Most of whom may not even have passports.

Hi @django
I am afraid you're wrong. Now either you are ignorant or havent taken the pain to go through a plethora of documents,publications and papers available on internet regarding ISRO's "staged combustion cycle" cryo engine. Either way,let me take this opportunity to explain you couple of things-
1) ISRO's research in the field of cryo engine dates back to mid 80s! Yes mid-80s when they were working on a modest 120kN gas generator cycle engine. India's inexperience coupled with lack of established industrial support lead to repeated failures. That was the time when ISRO approached soviets for technical consultancy and soviets gladly accepted the offer. But Americans threw spanner in the works and technical consultancy on india's cryo project stopped. Soviets refused to part away with critical know how,instead they agreed to transfer 7 ready to fly cryo engines. These engines were based on more efficient but unstable staged combustion cycle.

2) It was from this moment on that ISRO started working on their own "staged combustion cycle" engine and it took them a good 2 decades to master this critical tech.What you see on GSLV MK2 today is result of two decades of painful experience and repeated failures with this technology. ISRO has actually mastered the "staged combustion cycle" technology. They can now very easily uprate it should the need arise.

3) The reason why a gas generator cycle was choosen for GSLV MK3 is simply because it is inherently more stable and reliable compared to staged combustion cycle. And since GSLV MK3 presents an entirely new space vehicle they wanted to take as less risks as possible. In fact ISRO is well on the track to replace the vikas engine with a semi cryogenic engine as main stage in MK3 design. This would instantly shoot up the payload capacity from currently 4-5 tonnes to 6-7 tonnes and beyond! In fact if you go by their research seminars,they have plans to have a monserous launcher than can do more than 10tonnes to GTO! --A capability which only two countries have currently!
In terms of space vehicles,GSLV MK1 used the russian cryo engine,GSLV MK2 used an indian "staged combustion cycle" engine and GSLV MK3 uses an indian "gas generator cycle" engine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom