What's new

GSLV-D5 launch fixed for 4.50 pm on August 19

Isn't this the first time India is building its own engine. The previous time was integrating Russian engines.

GSLV D3 carrying GSAT-4 was fitted with an Indian Cryogenic engine in the mid 2010 but alas it came down the moment it went up. We have been experiencing very bad time with GSLV. Hope this gives us a good start.

Isn't this the first time India is building its own engine. The previous time was integrating Russian engines.
Nope.All previous launches(GSLV-MK1) had only russian cryogenic engines.GSLV-D3 had all indian engines including cryogenic engine too,but it failed due to man-function of FBTP.

No GSLV D3, and D4 also used Indian cryogenic engines which failed . detailed analysis revealed no major flaw in Indian cryogenic engine only some minor snags . Number of changes have been carried out since then new designs in several subsytems incorporated. Many tests have been carried out- Cryogenic engine has been re tested ,validated since then .

The current cryogenic engine is the best they could come up with. So very high stakes in this mission.
ISRO's scientific prestige is at stake ...

No GSLV D3, and D4 also used Indian cryogenic engines which failed . detailed analysis revealed no major flaw in Indian cryogenic engine only some minor snags . Number of changes have been carried out since then new designs in several subsytems incorporated. Many tests have been carried out- Cryogenic engine has been re tested ,validated since then .

The current cryogenic engine is the best they could come up with. So very high stakes in this mission.

Correction ...after using Indian Cryogenic engine in GSLV D3 ...ISRO used Russian cryogenic engine in GSLV D4( actually GSLV F 06 ) ..to many new changes were made in GSLV D4 specifications. mission failed due to untimely and inadvertent snapping of connectors at bottom of Russian cryogenic engine ...It was not failure of cryogenic engine per se

As far as GSLV D3 is concerned - Cryogenic engine failure was due to failure of turbopump- which was again not major design flaw...

GSLV nomenclature is very confusing . but the difference is because GSLV D3 was Mk II while GSLV D4 aka GSLV F06 was Mk I

the wiki link will clarify ....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geosynchronous_Satellite_Launch_Vehicle

The failure was due to unavailability of Hydrogen Gas in combustion chember. The problem is fixed now. Pl Read.

After the unsuccessful launch in April 2010, the failure analysis committee had concluded that the thrust build up did not progress as expected due to non-availability of liquid hydrogen supply to the thrust chamber of the main engine.

Man we can reduce the size and weight of this mammoth machine if we,

1) Use new efficient propellant like NEPE or some other new more efficient propellants like Russian uses in their Rocket.
2) use of Composite in upper stages and first stage booster.
3) cryogenic fuel (kerosene) in booster.

My 2 cents.

D stands for developmental (for Mk2)
F for functional (for MK1)
C for continuation, which is used for PSLV

Thanks for clarification ...I really didn't know it ....I always thought that it's just an alphabetical order ...

I thought I saw the sun rising from the west today...now I know why :D

Hi guynextdoor ,
Don't be so mean ...appreciate the fine gesture of our friend !

Back
Top Bottom