What's new

GSLV-D5, India's first indigenous cryogenic rocket, launched successfully

IndoCarib

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Sriharikota: The Indian Space Research Organisation or ISRO achieved another milestone today as it successfully launched the Geo-synchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle or GSLV-D5 from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre space port at Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.

The advanced GSAT-14 communications satellite that the rocket was carrying has also been placed into orbit.

The Rs. 350-crore mission marks India's entry into the multi-billion dollar commercial launcher market on a fully indigenous large rocket.

ISRO has now become the sixth space agency in the world after US, Russia, Japan, China and France to have tasted success with an indigenous cryogenic engine.

"I am happy to say that Team ISRO has done it," ISRO chief Dr K Radhakrishnan said after what was called a make-or-break launch owing to two failures earlier.

Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh also congratulated the ISRO for the launch. "PM congratulates the scientists and engineers of ISRO for the successful launch of GSLV D5 carrying GSAT-14 payload," his office tweeted.

The GSLV program had suffered twin back-to-back failures three years ago and its last launch in August was aborted minutes before lift-off.

On August 19, 2013, a major mishap was averted and the launch of the GSLV was aborted 74 minutes before lift-off after ISRO scientists found that about 750 kilograms of highly inflammable and explosive fuel had leaked out in the second stage.

GSLV-D5, India's first indigenous cryogenic rocket, launched successfully | NDTV.com

Now I look forward to GSLV which has
1) Composite booster
2) Semi cryogenic booster
3) higher power S 200 motor
4) More powerful cryo.

And

Later

Reusable first stage.

I do not know. ISRO's vision document upto 2020 has no mention of any such system. I watched some excellent video of GSLV MK3 cryogenic engine on you tube where the engine is operated for 2 minutes interval multiple times.

I think that there are lot more things by which we will be able to achieve much higher efficiency of GSLV i.e. by concentrating on other parameters as I mentioned above. Obviously I forget to write more efficient fuel such as NEPE or something even more efficient. If we can burn first stage motor for few more seconds or achieve high velocity in first stage, we can achieve a much batter efficiency. Kerocine based semi crayo is also one of the technology we need to master.

I think that now we shall be able to put 2 navigation satellite in orbit to gather with the help of GSLV MK 2.

Last edited:
There is a 50+ page thread in the Indian defense section about this topic.

I do not know. ISRO's vision document upto 2020 has no mention of any such system. I watched some excellent video of GSLV MK3 cryogenic engine on you tube where the engine is operated for 2 minutes interval multiple times..

Where ? :woot:

It won't be operational for at least another decade.

This is India we are talking about and we all know about their world famous delays.

This is India we are talking about and we all know about their world famous delays.

Typical Chinese wishful thinking. Till yesterday, they wished that GSLV D5 fail. Now they wish GSLV MK 3 will delay.

Any links ??

Type GSLV MK III you tube. You will get it else I will post it in couple of days later.

Last edited:

This is India we are talking about and we all know about their world famous delays.:haha::haha:
gslv-d5-23.jpg

:coffee::coffee:

Type GSLV MK III you tube. You will get it else I will post it couple of days later.
:o: why?

Back
Top Bottom