What's new

Great Job done: Father and son build 10 MW power plant!!!

I think this is a very good effort. it should be encouraged and supported by the Government. However, will they do so!!! .probably Not. We should also look at small locally manufactured units to harvest the flow of rivers to produce energy. Many decades ago there was a piece of news in the press about someone form NWFP who had set up a small unit of such nature to provide electrcity to their village.
Araz

great news finally pakistanis doing something constructive
hope more people can follow their path !

I see lot of loop holes in this news. It is more sensationilzing and the real truth could be quite different. Remember Cold Fusion!!

Firslty, the engine; cost is 100,000 rupees but what is life of this engine, what fuel does it use. It is only an engine, what about other parts?? How much a car or a bus using this engine will cost?? How is it when compared with say Suzuki engine in cost per per mile over a life of 100,000 miles.

Secondly, the power generation. Electricity is generated when magnetic flux is cut by a rotatory motion. Therefore electricity generation always requires three essential parts.

1. The fuel, this generates heat by burning. ( or water motion in case of hydel power)

2. A mechanism to convert this heat into a rotary motion. ( not applicable to hydel power) Usually a turbine.

3. An alternator or dynamo, whereby magnetic flux produces electricity.

What has this gentlemen produced which only costs Rs 70,000??. From the sound of it, it is only an alternator. Then the question; how long will it last. How often the bearings will last and how often it would have to be rewired. I dont want to belittle the gentleman's achievement, but there are al lot of questions that need to be asked.

A 15 MW turbine that I am familiar with cost $7-million in 1994 built by the Swedes. The metallurgy of the blades and bearings was a well kept secret. However the life was guaranteed at 20 years minimum. When one of the turbine blades got chipped, the whole section was replaced free of cost but rebalancing the rotors took the refinery eningeers a long time.

If someone tells me that an engineer, no matter how brilliant, can make a power plant which will last 10 or 20 years using metals and alloys available in Swat and it costs only Rs 70,000. He will have to be a miracle worker!!

Generally the moving parts made from ordinary steel shaped by road side lathe workshops, dont last even a fraction of the time a genuine part does.

Its a wonder achievement but ofcourse it should be looked carefully before deployment. if a small of medium size company could send a few engineers to swat to take a look at the system and offer its maker a handsome share if it is feasible to manufacture the generator. it would be awsome. if government is not looking into it then private sector should do something

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom