What's new

Govt will focus on increasing defence spending: Jaitley

Rahul9090

Reaction score
Country
India
Budget allocation for the armed forces is likely to go up, Defence and Finance Minister Arun Jaitley indicated on Monday. He presents the new government's first Union Budget on July 10.
"The government will focus on increasing defence spending to meet requirements," Jaitley told reporters at a Navy commanders' conference in New Delhi.

On the state of the Indian economy, he said: "These are challenging times because for the last two years, the country's economic growth has been below 5 per cent. This has affected our revenue. We have discussed the issues. Please wait for some time," he said.

Asked if the government was planning to send in forces to rescue Indians stuck in strife-torn Iraq, Jaitley said he won't "speculate" on it.

On former Army chief and union minister Gen. V.K. Singh questioning the appointment of Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag as the new Army chief, he said: "I have cleared my stand in Parliament. I don't want to say anything on it."

Asked about the Army's preparedness, he said: "Our Army is fully prepared to protect the nation".

Read more at:Govt will focus on increasing defence spending: Jaitley : North, News - India Today

Mr. Jaitley Don't just hike defence budget but also speed up the pending deals.

Back
Top Bottom