What's new

Govt moves to formulate tourism master plan in two years

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
https://thefinancialexpress.com.bd/...e-tourism-master-plan-in-two-years-1573046049

Govt moves to formulate tourism master plan in two years
BSS | Published: November 06, 2019 19:14:09 | Updated: November 06, 2019 22:16:52

1573046049.jpg
-BSS photo

The government has taken an initiative for the first time in the country’s tourism history to formulate a ‘tourism master plan’ in next two years for proper branding of Bangladesh in front of both local and foreign tourists.

State Minister for Civil Aviation and Tourism M Mahbub Ali gave the information on Wednesday while addressing at a function marking the 12th anniversary of Tourism and Hospitality Management Department of Dhaka University (DU) at its campus in Dhaka.

“Our tourism products are yet to be branded for various reasons. Now time has come to brand those properly for further flourishing our untapped tourism sector,” he said.

The tourism master plan project has been awaiting to get final approval from the cabinet while the government allocated more than Taka 280.0 million to involve an international consultancy firm to formulate the plan.

Ali hoped that construction of the Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport (HSIA) third terminal, Metrorail and underground train will also provide international standard amenities to the foreign tourists along with the local city dwellers.

“The implementation of these mega projects will encourage tourists to visit Bangladesh,” he hoped.

The state minister said the government will provide assistance to turn a village adjacent to Bisnakandi, a new sensation for tourists, in Sylhet into a centre of Community Based Tourism (CBT) where foreign tourists can stay with the villagers to enjoy the virgin rural beauty of Bangladesh.

After the liberation war, Ali said Bangladesh had become well known to entire world as Bangabandhu’s Bangladesh, but the country failed to brand itself accordingly later on.

Presided over by Tourism and Hospitality Management Department Chairman Professor Dr Badaruzzaman Bhuiyan, the function was also attended, among others, by DU Business studies faculty Dean Prof Dr Shibli Rubayat-ul Islam, Bangladesh Tourism Board (BTB) CEO Dr Bhuban Chandra Biswas and Tour Operator Association of Bangladesh (TOAB) Director Taufique Rahman.

@Homo Sapiens, @TopCat, @Atlas

The government has taken an initiative for the first time in the country’s tourism history to formulate a ‘tourism master plan’ in next two years for proper branding of Bangladesh in front of both local and foreign tourists.

After the liberation war, Ali said Bangladesh had become well known to entire world as Bangabandhu’s Bangladesh, but the country failed to brand itself accordingly later on.

More fantasy plans with a daily dose of sycophancy. This guy is definitely keeping his job.

I don't think I could ever go to Bangladesh. Just the food.....
Apologies but fish curries and what not is a one way street for me to vomit.

Not attacking anyone, just don't like Bengali food.

Just the food.....
Apologies but fish curries
Not attacking anyone, just don't like Bengali food
Who said that fish curry alone is Bengali food? Probably you ate the food of West Bengal of India and that's why you are allergic about Bengali food.

They ( wb) neither can cook meat nor can cook fish. And also Bengali of Bangladesh mostly prefer Beef over anything. And search youtube to learn about the foods of Puran Dhaka ( old Dhaka). The foods of Puran Dhaka is among the best in South Asia. And also Bengali foods have good name in the world.

But you must have to eat food from Bangladeshis, not Indian. If you even eat river fish curry and cooking is good, then the taste will be very rich.

But if you come to Bangladesh, you even don't need to touch fish. Bangladeshi Muslims prefer meat over fish. And in almost every house we cook food that is rich in quality and taste.

So I think you will enjoy the food very much!

Ps: Machche bhate Bengali ( Bengali by rice and fish) type slogan was never a slogan of Bengali Muslim. It is always west Bengali slogan. I would rather say that we Beef rice Bengali.

If you want to eat Mutton bhuna, we need to buy a black Bengal castrated goat for the best quality meat. Because in market ( most cases, but there are exceptions) , this meat is mixed with other goat breed and even with sheep meat sold as goat. That literally screw the taste.

But if you eat pure meat of black Bengal ( a dwarf breed that provide best quality meat) , your host will buy it for you. So not only Beef, you can taste super quality Mutton too and you will remember that what we eat is no lesser than you, but better in some cases!

Last edited:
I actually went to a Bengali halal restaurant in Japan.
Lots of Bengali open halal stores and side restaurants in places like Japan/Korea.

My only experience is from there.

I actually went to a Bengali halal restaurant in Japan.
Lots of Bengali open halal stores and side restaurants in places like Japan/Korea.

My only experience is from there.
Well then I don't know. I don't know what quality of peoples open restaurant in Japan. But in Bangladesh we have many low class street restaurants too where cooking quality is so bad that lots of us can't eat there.

I suppose expats who do restaurant business in other countries perhaps are such quality people. As most of gentlemen who are from better family mostly do job in foreign countries.

There are exceptions too. But I am talking about mostly home made foods. And in Bangladesh other than some elite restaurants in big places, most of restaurants can't not cook food nearly as good as our homes. I am not talking about lower class though, talking about middle class to upper middle class of Bangladeshi Muslim family. However Japanese expats may explain about Japanese restaurants much better. What I said it's just from my assumption.

But as I already said, bad ( where you will never enter unless you have no other option to survive) , or even better restaurants can't cook nearly as good as home.

Some elite restaurants are different though!

Last edited:
Well then I don't know. I don't know what quality of peoples open restaurant in Japan. But in Bangladesh we have many low class street restaurants too where cooking quality is so bad that lots of us can't eat and also can't eat there.

I suppose expats who do restaurant business in other countries perhaps are such quality people. As most of gentlemen who are from better family mostly do job in foreign countries.

There are exceptions too. But I am talking about mostly home made foods. And in Bangladesh other than some elite restaurants of big places, most of restaurants can't not cook food nearly as good as our homes. I am not talking about lower class though, talking about middle class to upper middle class of Bangladeshi Muslim family. However Japanese expats may explain about Japanese restaurants much better. What I said it's just from my assumption.

But as I already said, bad ( where you will never enter unless you have no other option) , or even better restaurants can't cook nearly as good as home.

Some elite restaurants are different though!

You know, it might be because it is easy to get fish in Japan, but other desi ingredients could be harder to get.
Well, you have opened my mind to trying it again, but next time I will try and find a legit place.

You know, it might be because it is easy to get fish in Japan, but other desi ingredients could be harder to get.
Well, you have opened my mind to trying it again, but next time I will try and find a legit place.
I can give you some more clue. Visit any Bangladeshi area in such countries where you will see, such title named home made food or such thing like ghoroa, radhuni, bla bla bla . Be sure that it's Bangladeshi majority area. Perhaps London ( Muslim Bangladeshi area of course) should be the best place to search such restaurant.

They should cook the best quality food. As in Dhaka there are lots of such restaurants ( overwhelming minority though compared to mass mid quality restaurant) who cook rich quality food that taste same as homemade, and different from other restaurants.

Last edited:
State Minister for Civil Aviation and Tourism M Mahbub Ali gave the information on Wednesday while addressing at a function marking the 12th anniversary of Tourism and Hospitality Management Department of Dhaka University (DU) at its campus in Dhaka.
It seems there is no concrete plan at all. This Ali just gave a sweet as usual speech that he will forget himself before he wakes up in the morning. He wants to please his leader.

@Atlas, you will not like what I will say now. A long time ago my family was invited to a Bengali house. The two boys of that house were telling my wife that they liked Japanese-style curry rice in the school more than they like their mother's cooking. I was wondering why it is so when the housewife is very good at cooking. So, you can see children are more honest than adults.

Thing is people usually like the food they get used to because they have little opportunity to taste foods cooked by others. So, you cannot be sure BD cooking style is that good. It is all water and spice. However, Pakistani and north Indian Muslim-style cooking is much superior. Ingredients are quite different.

The old Dhaka people can cook many varieties of tasty foods because this culture they brought with them from northern India when most of them came and settled in Dhaka with the 1st Mughal Military Subedar Shaikh Islam Khan (Chisty) and after him. Even the Bihari cooking style is better than Bengali watery curry.

@leonblack08, @Atlas, @Rusty

@Atlas, you will not like what I will say now. A long time ago my family was invited to a Bengali house. The two boys of that house were telling my wife that they liked Japanese-style curry rice in the school more than they like their mother's cooking. I was wondering why it is so when the housewife is very good at cooking. So, you can see children are more honest than adults.

Thing is people usually like the food they get used to because they have little opportunity to taste foods cooked by others. So, you cannot be sure BD cooking style is that good. It is all water and spice
Actually brother, in Bangladesh Chinese foods are very common, and unfortunately lots of us have a strange mentality, and that is foreigners are better than us. I never enjoy Chinese foods that much I like Beef bhuna or ilish. Maybe I am quite backdated.

So perhaps the case of the children is the same case or simply he is used to Japanese cooking style. Or maybe Japanese rice cooking style is better than Chinese?

But yes in one point you are very true and that is we like the food that we are used to eat regularly, no disagreement here.

However, Pakistani and north Indian Muslim-style cooking is much superior. Ingredients are quite different.

The old Dhaka people can cook many varieties of tasty foods because this culture they brought with them from northern India when most of them came and settled in Dhaka with the 1st Mughal Military Subedar Shaikh Islam Khan (Chisty) and after him. Even the Bihari cooking style is better than Bengali watery curry.
Bhai, I am exactly talking about styles. I agree with this part completely.

But still foods of Puran Dhaka is a part of our Muslim culture and we Bangladeshi Muslim also do not follow Hindu cooking styles.

We generally use mix cooking style and it may not be as tasty as the foods of Puran Dhaka, yet that are good for daily meal!

It's like foreign words in Bangla language. So if we borrowed cooking idea from mughal, then it became part of our culture. So as @Rusty or many other Pakistanis who didn't eat in Bangladeshi Muslim houses, they don't know that we follow cooking styles of Muslim heritage not like so called traditional Bengali Hindus ( although it's a propaganda that pure Bengali = Hindu influenced, but that is different subject).

So I just wanted ( @Rusty) to convince him, that if he eats in a Muslim Bangladeshi family he won't regret. Because our cooking style is much more different than kolkata style.

But yes I know cooking in Bihari families are better than ours. I have few Bihari relatives ( outside Dhaka, they actually became Bengali as they speak in Bengal fluently) and I ate in their house. Their cooking style is better,
But in the end they are Bangladeshi now!

Last edited:
It's like foreign words in Bangla language. So if we borrowed cooking idea from mughal, then it became part of our culture. So as @Rusty or many other Pakistanis who didn't eat in Bangladeshi Muslim houses, they don't know that we follow cooking styles of Muslim heritage not like so called traditional Bengali Hindus ( although it's a propaganda that pure Bengali = Hindu influenced, but that is different subject).
About the original Mughal style of cooking, the Bengali Muslims lost most of it because of two centuries of abject poverty during the British/Hindu rule. Being poor, we lost touch with the past, food or other heritage. Present-day Pakistan came under British rule after 1857 and we in 1757. So, the north Indian and Pakistani Muslims did not lose such past things as we did.

Only Old Dhaka is different whatever may be the reason. Could it be that the Dhaka Nawab family had great influence over this thing? You have to note also that usually the Dhaka people do not take or give daughters to non-Dhakaiya because of this difference in traditions.

I will not say, everything in Bengal is worse than it is in other Muslim areas. We certainly have specialized foods that certainly cannot be tasted by non-Bengalis in a day's visit.

WTL LOL..... BD has never been known as that..... grade A bullcrap ...
Actually, ministers in Bangladesh compete with each other to draw attention of their respective leaders by saying something out of the context.

Now from a Bangladeshi blogger about Kolkata food

Never heard of West Bengal Bengali running a resturant chain outside India

Now from a Bangladeshi blogger about Kolkata food

Never heard of West Bengal Bengali running a resturant chain outside India
A foreign sightseeing tourist does not go 200 km to a Dhaka 5-star hotel to eat lunch/dinner with Kosha Mangsho, barbecue or others. He eats at the nearby normal eatery. So, tell us about the quality of any such eateries. Even in Dhaka, I have seen very bad quality and bad looking foods. A large aluminum/steel rectangular container with meat overtopped by a thick 2 inches of oil. I do not know if cooking oil is so cheap in the country.

Now, our great computer graphic asset @Bilal9 will lash out at me for telling the truth and start name calling me as a Sanghi. People are toooo accustomed to this making tasty dishes by adding a huge quantity of oil. Bangladesh people should learn the cooking process in other nearby countries to improve the quality of food. The Supermarket shelves show that little changes are already happening.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom