What's new

Govt may cut down on defence budget: PM

But India isn't prepared will never be prepared - It just isn't in India DNA to prepare. Besides there is a huge amount of money the armed forces can save by eliminating wasteful expenditure. Walk into any Indian military installation and you will see what I mean by waste. In addition I believe the Indian army needs to trim down to at least half - if not 1/4 of its current size. And then there is wasteful procurement due to corruption. The Indian military can do a lot more with a lot less, lacking is the will to do so.

I can't fault the Indian Government for funding the food security bill even if funds are misappropriated and it succeeds only in feeding a fraction of those starving in India.

Well I can understand such post from trolls. And never replied to them as its no use at all.

I am hoping you have the general idea of Indian budget. And if you are taking just to defend the food security bill I am not against it.

- primary thing this so called "cut" is not official yet. Last year similar announcement was made but in actual budget there was a increase !!! Even without the allocation of money for MMRCA. We must wait for actual budget to come out. Not likely till May/June 2014 ( after elections ) in Feb there will be a short term budget till new Govt take the office.
- All he(PM) might have trying to say would be "No money for New deals"

- Now about poverty and deaths. Yes data is almost correct if not 100%. But do you know how much GOI is spending for that every year ??? Its more than 25% of GDP excluding 5 year plans. Thats will sum up to something like 800% of total defence expenditure.

- so tell me what difference 2-3% could make ???
Development is very very slow procedure. Corruption, population, education , lack of infrastructure and scarcity of resource are main problems.
- Democracy also don't help to speed up things.
*Population growth is lower than last decade
*education is spreading and literacy rate has increased over the last decade.
*infrastructure building is taking space with GOI , private players
and with international help

- Similar arguments were and are still being made about Indian space programme. The critics have their own reasons and illusions to think and speak like that. But in ground reality Indian space programme has equally helped indian development progress. Be it mapping and classification of area , identifying problems , resources and on and on.

Finally , a country needs to be prepared for everything not just one thing. So resource and money will be divided for various causes based on priority. Not just someone think something.

- Food security is really nice initiative. But its at wrong time.
First thing GOI should have done
- Building permanent store-houses and ware houses. A lot of agri produce is washed away every year from rain as they are stored in open.
- that would give them exact idea of surplus and buffer. Then they will be in some position to promise people the security. Or they just have to import things more offen
- one more thing we already have public distribution system. But it need to be more efficient and effective. Current system is more likely to cripple with this burden.

The PM didn't say the defencE budget would be cut- in any way. This is the media twisting things as usual.
anyone can easily make out what pm meant

how do u suppose india will finance 2 lakh crore per year food security without cutting corners??
whichother area they can cut corners??

The PM didn't say the defencE budget would be cut- in any way. This is the media twisting things as usual.
anyone can easily make out what pm meant

how do u suppose india will finance 2 lakh crore per year food security without cutting corners??
whichother area they can cut corners??

But India isn't prepared will never be prepared - It just isn't in India DNA to prepare. Besides there is a huge amount of money the armed forces can save by eliminating wasteful expenditure. Walk into any Indian military installation and you will see what I mean by waste. In addition I believe the Indian army needs to trim down to at least half - if not 1/4 of its current size. And then there is wasteful procurement due to corruption. The Indian military can do a lot more with a lot less, lacking is the will to do so.

I can't fault the Indian Government for funding the food security bill even if funds are misappropriated and it succeeds only in feeding a fraction of those starving in India.

Not sure where you are getting the information that India will never be prepared. Not getting into details, the psychological impact of India arming herself will be felt among the decision makers in the neighboring countries, especially Pakistan and China. That will be significant rather than projecting an opinion that India is ill-prepared.

But beyond that, your argument for the support for FSR in lieu of defense spending is full of fallacy. India defence spending is less in terms of percentage GDP compared to other countries. Ignoring the security of a nation for poverty reduction is not the right approach. Mind it, the poverty itself is due to the policies of the government post independence and inefficiencies in the Public Distribution System which provides subsidies even today to the BPL population including the food rot due to the inefficient/inadequate storage facilities. There is no need for separate scheme if you can remove those inefficiencies in the system.

Also there is nothing but a lurking suspicion that FSR is a poll gimmick thrust upon the uneducated masses.

LOL, India cut their budget before, now they are cutting it again? :rofl:

India Cuts Defense Budget As Economy slows - WSJ.com

Seriously, how the Hell does a supposedly "growing" economy like India have to constantly cut their defence budget?

That means they have less money to spend this year compared to the last. Sign of a shrinking economy, and India's economy has in fact shrunk in nominal terms from 2011 to 2012, due to the hilarious collapse of the Rupee.

LOL, India cut their budget before, now they are cutting it again? :rofl:

India Cuts Defense Budget As Economy slows - WSJ.com

Seriously, how the Hell does a supposedly "growing" economy like India have to constantly cut their defence budget?

That means they have less money to spend this year compared to the last. Sign of a shrinking economy, and India's economy has in fact shrunk in nominal terms from 2011 to 2012, due to the hilarious collapse of the Rupee.

Dude !!!!

Those are political statements, we will see after the budget ....... :P

Dude !!!!

Those are political statements, we will see after the budget ....... :P

LOL, India's defence budget was cut already, didn't you read the article?

Manmohan is discussing ANOTHER cut to India's defence budget.

In the next Sino-Indian War you guys have no chance, since you can't afford to increase your defence budget. :rofl:

Chinese Dragon is trolling ..... :lol:

funny-cat-Chinese-dragon-rug.jpg

just kidding :D

No, save that for the Dalits who get their eyes cut out by Indians like you:

Seven-yr-old Dalit 'raped' in UP, body found with arm and eye missing - Indian Express

Dirty rapist nation. :lol:

But let's talk about India's defence budget falling, how come India has less money than last year, what a joke. Growing countries don't cut their defence budgets.

LOL, India's defence budget was cut already, didn't you read the article?

Manmohan is discussing ANOTHER cut to India's defence budget.

In the next Sino-Indian War you guys have no chance, since you can't afford to increase your defence budget. :rofl:

Does that mean USA has more defense budget so it won the war in Vietnam?? :azn:

lol....hey guys @Srinivas @Truth Finder....this guy is jumping threads now......poor guy has got no life to live....
Old news. Cut won't take place now. By the way, indian defence budget is of two kinds- direct budget and indirect assistance like building military infrastructure.($36 billion+ $9 billion=$45 billion). That total sum won't change in any condition.

No, save that for the Dalits who get their eyes cut out by Indians like you:

Seven-yr-old Dalit 'raped' in UP, body found with arm and eye missing - Indian Express

Dirty rapist nation. :lol:

But let's talk about India's defence budget falling, how come India has less money than last year, what a joke. Growing countries don't cut their defence budgets.
wow...now let me see....this guy started from an indian traitor...to gdp..to poverty...n now is on dalits...wow!! dude

get a life.....go out get some fresh air.....your desperate actions are only making us laugh at u....

wow...now let me see....this guy started from an indian traitor...to gdp..to poverty...n now is on dalits...wow!! dude

get a life.....go out get some fresh air.....your desperate actions are only making us laugh at u....

Can you tell me why a "growing economy" has to cut its defence budget? :rofl:

Just a simple logical answer. Because India has less money to spend now compared to before, so how are they "growing"?

Can you tell me why a "growing economy" has to cut its defence budget? :rofl:

Just a simple logical answer. Because India has less money to spend now compared to before, so how are they "growing"?
answer is simple....due to massive corruption by congress...our economy started facing problems....guv. had to do something......we were and are still the biggest importers of weapons in the world...tat means surplus money was being invested in this sector.....hence the only logical solution was to go with defence cuts....simple..

Back
Top Bottom