What's new

Govt may cut down on defence budget: PM

What other Comprehensive National Power concepts are there?

The concept of CNP is a measure of power that is inclusive of all factors. Which is why European nations like Britain and France are still ranked higher than China on the CNP Index, even though "Western indexes" all put China at 2nd place in terms of national power.

CNP is a more realistic measure that does not just account for hard (economic/military) power... but everything else too.

Agreed. But he's not talking about the chinese index, he's talking about the general concept. I also agree the general concept of talking into account soft and hard power is a more realistic measure.

@Abingdonboy
@Dillinger

when i said and predicted this sometimes back after food security bill came ppl laughed at me calling me naive and whatnot but now my stand has been vindicated.

growth will not return to 7 precent in another 2-3 years so it may well mean decreased budget for next couple of years

upa has ruined india and i am stating the fact

@Abingdonboy
@Dillinger

when i said and predicted this sometimes back after food security bill came ppl laughed at me calling me naive and whatnot but now my stand has been vindicated.

growth will not return to 7 precent in another 2-3 years so it may well mean decreased budget for next couple of years

upa has ruined india and i am stating the fact

Well. Indians ruined India a long time back.

We Indians tolerate these politicians and we get suckered time and again

the point is all these senior members laughed at me when i said we should cancel rafale as it will affect other areas of defence negatively but no one is willing to listen

in 2009 when we held mmrca tenders and competition we were on a high with 8-9% growth

now we have barely 4% and that too disputed one,,,,so how will that deal be good??

there is still enough time to order more mki's with super mki features like aesa radar ,ram coatings and pakfa avionics as rafale deal will be too costly and the budget is to be cut next year too

rafale is surely a very awesome bird but we have to take economy into account when signing the deal

Its the people who will take the heat not the govt.
Doesn't matter somebody gonna get a hurt. Real bad!
People need to get spanked for this utter nonsense in civil life. Corruption govt and not obeying laws.

Doesn't matter somebody gonna get a hurt. Real bad!
People need to get spanked for this utter nonsense in civil life. Corruption govt and not obeying laws.

the day they announced fodd security bill i knew this was gonna happen

Rs 200,000 crores per year for a populist, vote grabbing, lopsided food security scheme, 60% of which will go into the coffers of political parties, notably the Congress.

And they cut the defence budget saying there's no cash? :pissed:

Yea!! Vote for Congress! Soniaji for PM! :tup:

Congress know very well they'll loose 2014 general elections. They're trying to loot the nation as much as they can before going out of power. Sonia & company is the most corrupt Govt in the history of independent India.

the day they announced fodd security bill i knew this was gonna happen
It's not their Baap ka paisa. If earners are not happy n secure you can't keep spenders happy. They have done their best to donate the poor but ironically they are still poor.

These people need kick on their behind and make them do something. This bagger approach is not right.

Oh well.. getting closer to election year. Defence spending is not a vote clincher. Why not compromise on our national security & announce few more vote grabbing gimmicks in the same lines as NREGA, food security bill.. so on & so forth?

Oh well.. getting closer to election year. Defence spending is not a vote clincher. Why not compromise on our national security & announce few more vote grabbing gimmicks in the same lines as NREGA, food security bill.. so on & so forth?

Did you know 3000 children die of starvation each year in India?
I'd argue that the food security bill is more important than weapons procurement.

India's hunger 'shame': 3,000 children die every day, despite economic growth - World News

The entire debate over food security – the push by many in civil society for a universal “right to food” – has its roots in starvation deaths. In 2001, activists blamed Rajasthan state for failing to stop a string of hunger-related deaths, especially with millions of tons of unused grains in government warehouses.

That and other national woes were the catalysts for the public interest litigation filed by the People’s Union for Civil Liberties in 2001, which resulted in the Supreme Court’s decision to convert nine food, work and nutrition programs into legal entitlements. The heart of the PUCL’s case was that the Indian Constitution’s right to life as spelled out in Article 21 entitles Indians to a right to food.

Eleven years and nine court orders later, the right to food case is still going and is largely responsible for pushing the government to develop food security legislation, which is expected to be debated in Parliament in the coming months. The draft bill would give 75% of rural Indians and 50% of urban Indians access to discounted rice and grains.

Starving in India: The Forgotten Problem - India Real Time - WSJ

Back
Top Bottom