What's new

Global Insider: Pakistan Navy

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan recently moved to purchase six advanced submarines, with air independent propulsion technology, from China. In an email interview, Vijay Sakhuja, research director at the Indian Council of World Affairs, discussed Pakistan's naval capabilities.

WPR: What is the current state of Pakistan's navy?

Vijay Sakhuja: Pakistan's naval planners have been proactive in attempting to achieve parity and at times superiority over the Indian navy. They have consistently endeavored to introduce newer and more-advanced platforms to the subcontinent, including submarines capable of launching missiles, long-range maritime patrol aircraft, helicopters fitted with anti-ship missiles and more recently the air independent propulsion system for submarines. To that extent, Pakistan is a modern and credible naval power. However, the rapid growth of the Indian navy -- currently employing aircraft carriers, nuclear submarines and modern surface combatants -- poses a new challenge for Pakistan, which is now attempting to bridge the force imbalance. Given that it has only a rudimentary indigenous naval shipbuilding capacity, Pakistan is seeking Chinese assistance to address the naval capability gap, by acquiring and jointly building submarines and surface platforms.

WPR: Who are Pakistan's main international naval suppliers?

Sakhuja: In the early stages, Pakistan's navy relied on the U.S., but the 1965 and 1971 India-Pakistan wars resulted in a U.S. embargo on military sales. The embargo was short-lived, and the U.S. went on to supply a variety of destroyers, frigates, P-3 Orion maritime patrol aircraft and Harpoon and other missiles. Pakistan also explored alternate sources for its naval requirements, such as France and China. French naval hardware -- submarines, patrol aircraft and minesweepers -- is popular because the sales were spurred mainly by commercial interests and not by politico-strategic considerations. Meanwhile, China has recently emerged as the primary source of naval hardware, including frigates and missile craft, with submarines possibly soon to follow. China is also augmenting Pakistan's naval shipbuilding infrastructure to enable it to construct advanced naval platforms. Germany, too, has made inroads into Pakistan's naval inventory through Type 214 submarines.

WPR: How will the submarine acquisition affect the Pakistani navy's capabilities?

Sakhuja: Pakistani naval strategists have repeatedly argued that submarines are well-suited for smaller navies, like Pakistan's, to support an offensive sea-denial strategy. Accordingly, the primacy of submarines in Pakistani naval thought is visible through Islamabad's constant attempts to acquire these vessels from various sources. Following the acquisition of PNS Ghazi on lease from the U.S. in 1964, Pakistan acquired Daphne- and Agosta-class submarines from France. During the 1971 India-Pakistan war, one of these was able to sink an Indian frigate. Although Pakistan subsequently lost the Ghazi, submarines continued to gain primacy in Pakistani naval thinking. Perhaps what merits attention now is that Pakistani naval planners are seeking a nuclear role for themselves by either leasing a nuclear-powered submarine or modifying the existing inventory of cruise missiles to carry submarine-launched nuclear warheads. This thinking is motivated by the Indian navy's acquisition of nuclear submarines.
Trend Lines | Global Insider: Pakistan's Navy

well i dont think so our navy is clever but stupid they are taking too much time to decide what to buy when decision comes it like you think something big come out of mountain when you dig it but you get mouse from that it is like that

well i dont think so our navy is clever but stupid they are taking too much time to decide what to buy when decision comes it like you think something big come out of mountain when you dig it but you get mouse from that it is like that

Oh yes you are right Pakistan navy is stupid but you are not lolx its about money and we have less money so we buy something that suits to PN doctrine so we think wisely!! not just look at our piggy bank if its has 200 millions for a single sub we just buy it, first we see if it is worth 200 million$ then we buy ...
you should realize our all three branches are being planned to get modernized how much load we've got PN is smallest and has small budget!!

It is interesting to note the emphasis on 'attempting to brigde the imbalance' relative to the naval forces of India. I suppose this can be justified to some extent but it would seem that much of IN buildup is also in response to the naval buildup of e.g. China/PLAN, and as well as directed a securting SLOC given economic growth. And perhaps much less specifically directed against Pakistan. If that is the case, then PN is to a greater or lesser extent unnecessarily going to try and keep up with IN.

PN can never match IN 'boat for boat" due to the budget - PN is on the third tier after the PA and PAF and ends up with maybe 20-25% of the budget. the key for the PN is the acquisition of 'force multiplyers'.

It is interesting to note the emphasis on 'attempting to brigde the imbalance' relative to the naval forces of India. I suppose this can be justified to some extent but it would seem that much of IN buildup is also in response to the naval buildup of e.g. China/PLAN, and as well as directed a securting SLOC given economic growth. And perhaps much less specifically directed against Pakistan. If that is the case, then PN is to a greater or lesser extent unnecessarily going to try and keep up with IN.

Okay ..U suggest whe shold not keep up with India.:woot:..so what we gonna do if India attacks us???:confused:...get good whipping and get captured like they did take over Kashmir, Hyderabad and some other states by force...maybe they might capture whole of our country then...:smokin:

When one does not have the economic resoureces than one tries to do the best in the available resources and try not to fight Kashmir battles in Arabian Sea!!!!

On the comments of the analyst -- and Penguin; I do not think PN is trying to maintian parity with IN but looking for leass expensive counter strategy to neutralize induction of more sophisticated platforms in IN. Furthermore, we are totaly discounting the role/influence of China in devising Maritime Policy of PN. If we have used the bogey of USSR to build up our Nuclear capability and Airforce in eighties infront of the west why can't we use the same formula to vector much needed platforms for PN by projecting PN as a "Friendly" force in Arabian Sea for China against India?

Some of you might not agree with me but increasingly the trend on the ground reinforces my assumptions -- induction of F22P's (soft loans from China), possible induction of enhanced surface platforms and now the ongoing submarine deal. These platforms collectivle are game changers for PN in our little pond -- and mind you these acquistions would be backed up by soft loans from China.

There is nothing wrong in this type of mutual quid pro quo, however I do hope that we do not get dragged into someone else's "Great Game," again.

My 2C worth.

all the analyst is trying to do is to justify the procurement of the IN by claiming that the PN is trying to 'close the gap'.!!!

My belief is that the PN has a bit more focus on discouraging India from blocking our ports in case of war. This is why we need subs. However, we need nuclear strike capabilities soon to maintain any balance in the seas.

wow, Pakistan Naval capabilities being praised by its arch enemy... strange...

This is not the first time.
We praise your every purchase and test..:)

funnycomments4.gif

Okay ..U suggest whe shold not keep up with India.:woot:..so what we gonna do if India attacks us???:confused:...get good whipping and get captured like they did take over Kashmir, Hyderabad and some other states by force...maybe they might capture whole of our country then...:smokin:

You don't see China or Russia trying to match the US fleet do you? Russia tried to kep up militarily wit hthe US and bankrupted itself in the process. Not keeping up doesn't mean doing nothing. But I think it should recognized that IN buildup is at least partially with China (and maybe even US) in mind and not necessarily solely against Pakistan. It would be ludicrous to try and match IN. It is very simple: sea denial is much easier (anda lot cheaper) than sea control.

You don't see China or Russia trying to match the US fleet do you? Russia tried to kep up militarily wit hthe US and bankrupted itself in the process. Not keeping up doesn't mean doing nothing. But I think it should recognized that IN buildup is at least partially with China (and maybe even US) in mind and not necessarily solely against Pakistan. It would be ludicrous to try and match IN. It is very simple: sea denial is much easier (anda lot cheaper) than sea control.

So what do u think, are we in a position to do sea denial to India anytime??? or we need some further preparations..???
and if war breaks out b/w us what will be the scenario of our survival..in ure experience...??:smokin:

Back
Top Bottom