What's new

Germany to cancel order for 37 Euro fighters

IND151

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
BERLIN--Germany has canceled the delivery of 37 Eurofighter jets valued at 3.5 billion euros ($4.8 billion), two officials told The Wall Street Journal Wednesday.

But the terms under which Germany might cancel its order and how formally the decision has been made were unclear. Airbus Group NV, which handles the German Eurofighter contract, said it had not been told of a government decision.

"We have existing agreements," a spokesman for the Defense & Space unit of Airbus said. "We have not been informed of any changes."

German Deputy Defense Minister Stephane Beemelmans told a meeting of the lower house of parliament's defense committee on Wednesday that Germany has canceled the final tranche of 37 jets, according to one of the officials, a parliamentary official who attended the meeting and declined to be identified. A government official confirmed the decision. Germany had ordered 180 Eurofighters.

The ministry cited cost as the reason for the cancellation, and said Germany doesn't need the final 37 planes in its order, the parliamentary official said.

The ministry canceled the order on Dec. 17. It agreed to pay a cancellation penalty of EUR54 million to MTU Aero Engines, a German engine maker involved in the project, according to the parliamentary official.

The Eurofighter is built by a consortium French-German-Spanish Airbus, BAE Systems PLC of Britain and Italy's Finmeccanica SpA.

Germany now operates 107 Eurofighters and has another 36 on contract before the 37 in question, the Airbus spokesman said.

Write to Andrea Thomas at andrea.thomas@wsj.com and Daniel Michaels at daniel.michaels@wsj.com

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&r...Atzh-qvlHLhfrv2FLs_9VbA&bvm=bv.61725948,d.bmk

I was under the impression that the total order was 143 anyway.Surprised to see it's 180.:what:

I was under the impression that the total order was 143 anyway.Surprised to see it's 180.:what:

Meh. Luftwaffe operated tens of thousands of fighters during WW2. :oops: The number of fighters it operates now is peanuts.

Meh. Luftwaffe operated tens of thousands of fighters during WW2. :oops: The number of fighters it operates now is peanuts.

then Germany was surrounded by "Enemy States"..do you see any "Enemy States" around them now???

then Germany was surrounded by "Enemy States"..do you see any "Enemy States" around them now???

Zee Germans be needing all the fighters they can master when they establish the Fourth Reich. :yes4:

That was the initial order. Now the order is reduced to 130, of which a 102 have been delivered.

Some people :angel:

No my friend,they have a firm order of 143 and they will cancel the 37 up to 180 it seems.

[Germany now operates 107 Eurofighters and has another 36 on contract before the 37 in question, the Airbus spokesman said/QUOTE]

No my friend,they have a firm order of 143 and they will cancel the 37 up to 180 it seems.

I mean 143, my bad :/ ..

Anyway, the Typhoon is bloody expensive.

Will IAF going to buy a mix of EF-2000s and Rafael??
No. I don't think so.

They've got the Tejas in their hand as well as two more programs for 5th Gen program.

we're soon going to see "Asian Version of Fourth Reich",don't we???

Zee Germans. :yes4: The most efficient in the world. 10,000 Typhoon fighter jets to take on the Americans and the Russians.

Will IAF going to buy a mix of EF-2000s and Rafael??
No way. What would be the point? The EFT and this batch especially offer ZERO advantages offer the F3R+ Rafales the IAF is getting. They would be just adding a logistical nightmare to the IAF to maintain such small numbers.

Things are not going to well for the EFT program of late.....

Who will be funding their future roadmap?

Maybe our Navy will buy the Rafael. :)
+Rafale.

That would be quite a spectacle- the Rafale and EFT in the same military. Although it would make more economic sense to go for EFT for the Saudi Navy considering the amount of infrastructure you've invested in the EFT.

No way. What would be the point? The EFT and this batch especially offer ZERO advantages offer the F3R+ Rafales the IAF is getting. They would be just adding a logistical nightmare to the IAF to maintain such small numbers.

Things are not going to well for the EFT program of late.....

Who will be funding their future roadmap?

+Rafale.

That would be quite a spectacle- the Rafale and EFT in the same military. Although it would make more economic sense to go for EFT for the Saudi Navy considering the amount of infrastructure you've invested in the EFT.

We've singed three MoU(s) with the French on the Rafale in 2005, 2007, and 2010. I guess it is in the best of our internet to go for the Rafale for multiple reasons. :)

We've singed three MoU(s) with the French on the Rafale in 2005, 2007, and 2010. I guess it is in the best of our internet to go for the Rafale for multiple reasons. :)
I'm aware but I still highly doubt it would ever happen.

But then you guys do have money to burn......

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom