What's new

Gerald R Ford Class Super Aircraft Carrier

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78) is the first new design for an aircraft carrier since Nimitz (CVN 68). The shipbuilders found hidden value in every square inch of the ship, saving the Navy a projected $4 billion in ownership costs over the ship’s 50-year lifespan. The ship will be equipped with two newly-designed reactors and has 250 percent more electrical capacity than previous carriers. The improvements will allow the ship to load weapons and launch aircraft faster than ever before.

normalflightdeck.jpg

New Island
Ford's island, the flight command center for the ship, is completely redesigned. It incorporates the latest technology in flat panel array radar systems and dual band radar.

The island is shorter in length, but stands 20 feet taller than previous aircraft carriers' islands. It is positioned 140 feet further aft and three feet further outboard than its predecessors.

More Flight Deck
The flight deck of CVN 78 has been completely redesigned and rearranged. The end result is a 25 percent increase in the ability to launch and recover aircraft missions. In order to accomplish this, the carrier has three aircraft elevators instead of four, and the island is positioned 140 feet further aft.

SHIP_CVN-71_Theodore_Roosevelt_Cutaway_lg.jpg

616444_637733409604808_89125452_o.jpg

142400d8ec056394890216.jpg

Impressive, I was always amazed by these carriers, Its like an entire Island on the move

America is planning to have 10 of these. They already have 2 active. I agree with you, a floating city. Now imagine F-35Bs on the runways.

Such a shame that they will eventually deactivate their Nimitz-Class... ( all 10 or so)

America is planning to have 10 of these. They already have 2 active. I agree with you, a floating city. Now imagine F-35Bs on the runways.

Such a shame that they will eventually deactivate their Nimitz-Class... ( all 10 or so)
The way things are going with the F-35, one can only 'imagine' :pleasantry: :sarcastic:

The way things are going with the F-35, one can only 'imagine' :pleasantry: :sarcastic:

Let's not be so quick to put it down. When the F-15 first came out, it had problems in the initial phase. It has served as a capable air superiority fighter now for almost 25 years.

Let's not be so quick to put it down. When the F-15 first came out, it had problems in the initial phase. It has served as a capable air superiority fighter now for almost 25 years.
I know eventually it will hold its ground, but Rather I talking was about the money spent on this project , If I not mistaken, it passed over a trillion dollars

The F-16 and M1 Abrams were heavily criticized in their developmental stages, and that was before the Internet. I could care less what some armchair general has to say about the F-35.

the schematics still show f14's in the mix :o:

the schematics still show f14's in the mix :o:

That is right. America air technology is, indeed, unrivaled. And I am trying to be objective here:

F14, F15, F-16 (and variants), F-18, F22, F-35.....!

I know eventually it will hold its ground, but Rather I talking was about the money spent on this project , If I not mistaken, it passed over a trillion dollars

Over 55 years of maintenance and operation, and the projected construction of 2400 units for the us alone, it is thought to reach that mark.

However, you have to remember that it is basically 3 programs combined. The development has been lengthy due to 3 branches of the US military needing to make fairly significant distinctions between their model and the others, combined with the inherent technical hurdles that every advanced fighter is facing or will face. There are over 100 in existence, and more on the way.

If you think about just how different the variants are, it is actually quite remarkable, in my opinion.

Over 55 years of maintenance and operation, and the projected construction of 2400 units for the us alone, it is thought to reach that mark.

However, you have to remember that it is basically 3 programs combined. The development has been lengthy due to 3 branches of the US military needing to make fairly significant distinctions between their model and the others, combined with the inherent technical hurdles that every advanced fighter is facing or will face. There are over 100 in existence, and more on the way.

@OCguy ,

Have they tested the F-35Bs on amphibious assault ships? Any problems you heard about testing of their take-off and landing?

If you think about just how different the variants are, it is actually quite remarkable, in my opinion.

I don't think people understand how difficult it is to develop 5th gen fighters. As we saw with the catastrophic right engine failure of the PAK FA last week, it's not easy.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom