What's new

Geo TV owners print front-page apology to Pakistan's ISI spy chief

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistani-journalist-Hami-009.jpg

Hamid Mir, who survived an attack by gumen in Karachi, is surrounded by fellow journalists after his appearance before a judicial commission. Photograph: T Mughal/EPA
Pakistan's embattled media group printed a grovelling front-page apology to the army on Monday after allegations broadcast by Geo TV that the country's spy chief had plotted to assassinate one of the channel's star journalists.

The apology came two days before an anticipated ruling by the broadcast regulator on the affair and marked a clear retreat by a media conglomerate after weeks of bruising public criticism from the army, opposition politicians, extremist clerics and media rivals.

The text, printed in English on the front page of the News and in Urdu in the bestselling Daily Jang, said its coverage of a gun attack in Karachi that seriously injured journalist Hamid Mir in April had been "excessive, distressful and emotional".

After the shooting of Mir, Geo TV had responded by giving prominence in its hours of coverage to the allegations from Mir's brother that Zaheer-ul-Islam, the head of military spy agency the Inter-Services Intelligence directorate (ISI), had ordered the assassination attempt.

The company said it deeply apologised to the ISI chief and his family. It also insisted that it has "the greatest regard and respect for the armed forces of Pakistan and its leadership".

Initially Geo had put up a vigorous defence of its actions but its position has progressively weakened as the weeks have gone by.

At the behest of the army the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (Pemra) was asked to consider banning Geo. Under military pressure many cable companies dropped or downgraded Geo, overturning the channels once dominant audience share. And other private channels have ripped into their main rival, accusing it of betraying the country.

Clerics have also accused Geo of broadcasting blasphemous material in a light entertainment show – a move that potentially put the group'sjournalists at risk from violent retaliation.

The furore has aggravated an increasingly acrimonious relationship between Pakistan's civilian government and the army, with many assuming Geo had received the backing of the ruling party to attack the ISI.

Pemra is set make a decision on the army's complaint against Geo on Wednesday.

Although Geo framed the row as merely one of the "ups and downs" of any other "relationship" and said it was time to move forward, many analysts believe the military establishment will not be satisfied with an apology alone.

Geo TV owners print front-page apology to Pakistan's ISI spy chief | World news | theguardian.com

This reminds me of Galileo, when he was asked to recant his words about Earth going round the Sun on the pain of death for blasphemy as the Church then believed that according to the Bible ( word of God) it was Sun that revolved round the Earth; he recanted his words but murmured “Il tombe “. Galileo meant "I am saying that I was wrong but I tell you it is the Earth that moves."

A simple short apology without any explanations would have been better. In my view it is too little too late.

Sorry and apology are of the one of the most wrongly used words in the world

GEO should introduce a "Accountability Editor in Cheif" who evaluates the "Allegations" before they air the national TV airwaves
Journalism should be based on , facts and substantial proof , proven by court , not allegations and conspiracy proof

Geo can roll that front page apology and stuff it up its tight arse. Apology can NEVER replace punishment for a crime.

Hamid Mir never had a chance against ISI or Taliban.

The direct involvement and influence the Pak military has on its civil population is unparalleled,IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom