What's new

General Thoughts on Cruise Missile Tech

Quwa

Research Partner
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Here are my general thoughts on cruise missile technology, particularly from the angle that a weapon with its own guidance (or guidance independent of its delivery platform) makes it all the more versatile. In terms of Pakistan, here are some brief ideas (which I'll elaborate on in a later piece about Pakistan's LACM tech).

(for the full piece, see the link below)

Cruise Missiles

The versatility of cruise missiles should not be underestimated. Once a military ascertains the position of its target and is able to leverage an overarching infrastructure of location, communication and navigation assets, there is little to stop it from attacking. Furthermore, if long-range submarines and aircraft are available, then that military force could even begin projecting power in relatively distant areas.

In a defensive context, a country such as Pakistan could (especially if it has access to a military-grade satellite guidance and communications network such as China’s BeiDou) distribute its LACM inventory (e.g. the 700km Babur) across a large number of light and affordable assets. This is basically the concept of ‘distributed lethality’ whereby relatively more affordable aerial, sea and land could effectively engage in offensive operations against a close proximity foe. The advantage of this approach was summarized by Bryan Clark, a naval analyst with the Center of Strategic and Budgetary Assessments, to Defense News:

“The arguments made for distributed lethality are to put firepower on a bunch of smaller ships, have them disperse, in turn increase targeting problems for the enemy, and you may be able to generate the same kind of firepower if you concentrate the platforms.

“With the Russians, these 900-ton corvettes are harder to find than a [4,000-ton US] littoral combat ship. You can buy them in larger numbers, and they also carry land-attack weapons,” unlike LCS. “It would seem to give you a much more effective land-attack lethality than what the US Navy is pursuing.”

Cruise Missiles

Cruise Missile tech is a much needed technology & Pakistan is way ahead of India.

Cruise Missile tech is a much needed technology & Pakistan is way ahead of India.
We have supersonic cruise missiles. Pakistan has subsonic cruise missiles. India is far ahead in missile technology. In fact Pakistan does not have GPS navigation on any of its missile.

Thank you for such an important info. I am really greatful to you because again and again this remembrance of yours is emerging in every 2nd thread.
Now if you get some extra time, plz do check on google any other kind of navigation system apart from GPS.

We have supersonic cruise missiles. Pakistan has subsonic cruise missiles. India is far ahead in missile technology. In fact Pakistan does not have GPS navigation on any of its missile.

Thank you for such an important info. I am really greatful to you because again and again this remembrance of yours is emerging in every 2nd thread.
Now if you get some extra time, plz do check on google any other kind of navigation system apart from GPS.
Yes Pakistani missiles have inertial navigation. But it is old technology. Fact is Pakistan is banned from using modern satellite based navigation system for its missiles.

Yes Pakistani missiles have inertial navigation. But it is old technology. Fact is Pakistan is banned from using modern satellite based navigation system for its missiles.

And thats where Chinas navigations technology system Baidu comes into play....

From now on, I am fan of yours. I must be fan of such an high IQ person.

@The Deterrent

What is your opinion of the power plant that is currently in use in babar cruise missile. What might be its possible TSFC(thrust specific fuel consumption)- or inverse of your Isp. What is the certifying agency in Pakistan that certifies an aero engine?I mean equivalent of CEMILAC in Pakistan?
Secondly, is there any literature available on baburs engine because,engine,alonwith amount of fuel and altitude at which it travels roughly reveal the max possible range

@The Deterrent

What is your opinion of the power plant that is currently in use in babar cruise missile. What might be its possible TSFC(thrust specific fuel consumption)- or inverse of your Isp. What is the certifying agency in Pakistan that certifies an aero engine?I mean equivalent of CEMILAC in Pakistan?
Secondly, is there any literature available on baburs engine because,engine,alonwith amount of fuel and altitude at which it travels roughly reveal the max possible range

PS. MOD don't ban me for writhing this, this is not for troll, only for the poster i am quoting.

Its kept secret in Pakistan, Some pakistani members says its chinese and some says its Austalian engine but most probably its the Chinese engine Korshun powerplant with 36 MT and bore resemblance to NPO Saturn powerplant.

What details you want in engine ? specific fuel consumption or pwer thrust too

Last edited:
@The Deterrent

Hi Mr. Mishra,
I see that you are still persistent on these questions despite my frequent clarifications.
All you need to know is that it is a TurboJet, sourced from China, and possibly being licensed-manufactured in Pakistan.
The max range is what has been officially stated, i.e. 600-700 km.

There is nothing more you'll find.

Hi Mr. Mishra,
I see that you are still persistent on these questions despite my frequent clarifications.
All you need to know is that it is a TurboJet, sourced from China, and possibly being licensed-manufactured in Pakistan.
The max range is what has been officially stated, i.e. 600-700 km.

There is nothing more you'll find.
Sir, with respect i want to say that is it possible to calculate the range with the NPO Saturn's powerplant rating/ configuration.

And Sir, can you answer amit mishra's query about any CEMIAC equivalent entity in pakistan for the certification.

we need extended range and multiple plate form launched Cruise missiles such as naval based and Air force based too.

PS. MOD don't ban me for writhing this, this is not for troll, only for the poster i am quoting.

Its kept secret in Pakistan, Some pakistani members says its chinese and some says its Austalian engine but most probably its the Chinese engine Korshun powerplant with 36 MT and bore resemblance to NPO Saturn powerplant.

What details you want in engine ? specific fuel consumption or pwer thrust too
hi,
wow the mods have really toned you down haven't they.

because tomahawks crashed in Afghanistan they were brought into pakistan and reverse engineered and they were sent to china as well. it may be as simple as a reverse engineering the William's f107 engine(what the tomahawk is powered by) and using it on the Babur. or it may have a Chinese engine which may have been influenced from the al-55. or a completely Chinese engine with no influence from foreign engines/companies.

where as the raid a lcm may be powered by an engine variant what powered the mupsow, but is made completely in pakistan.

William F107 engine
Williams F-107.JPG

the tomahawk and the amg-86 is powered by: the Williams F107 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the agm-129 is powered by the: Williams F112 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom