ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Gen Durrani: picture of a confused, opportunist ISI chief
Ansar Abbasi
Thursday, November 01, 2012
From Print Edition

ISLAMABAD: Former ISI chief and the central figure in the Asghar Khan case Lt General (retd) Asad Durrani’s court affidavits and his secret note for the-then prime minister show that he was callously used by the smart PPP leadership to fix its political opponents.

Durrani’s dilemma has been that in 1990, he was used by the-then president and army chief to target the PPP, in the mid-90s he was used by the PPP to target those whom he had earlier allegedly doled out money.

His statements, affidavits and the secret note for the-then prime minister Benazir Bhutto’s “Eyes Only” present him as a confused soul. Though he gave the affidavit against the anti-PPP politicians but did not think what he did in 1990 was wrong. He even did not find anything bad about the acceptance of money by the anti-PPP politicians but still signed the affidavit as was presented before him.

Durrani did not use the word “coercion” but his statements do reflect that he was under pressure to give his initial affidavit. He also seems to be lamenting that he was promised that his statement would remain confidential but the then interior minister made it public.

Durrani also seems to be contradicting himself when his affidavits and secret note for the prime minister are compared. The secret note also showed him telling half- truths in his initial affidavit that contained the names of certain politicians and others but missed a few others.

On June 7, 1994, he wrote a secret note “Eyes Only” for the prime minister to give her information that was included in his confessional statement, which he had earlier handed over to the director FIA Rehman Malik.

His secret note indicated that he had named certain politicians including Nawaz Sharif and others in his confessional statement but did not name four recipients, Ghulam Mustafa Khar, who was paid Rs2 million, Hafeez Pirzada Rs3m, Sarwar Cheema Rs0.5m and Mairaj Khalid Rs0.2 million.

The secret note added that the 1990 operation not only had the “blessings” of the president and wholehearted participation of the caretaker politicians but was also in the knowledge of the army high command. With regard to Gen Beg, his note read, “...Gen Beg (who took his colleagues in confidence) but that is the name that we have to protect.”

After giving his confessional statement, Durrani thought as if he would be used, therefore, his note for the PM’s “Eyes Only” read, “a. If it is to target the opposition, it might be their legitimate right to take donations, especially if they come through ‘sacred channels’. Some embarrassment is possible, but a few millions are peanuts nowadays. b. If the idea is to put Gen Beg on the mat; “he was merely providing logistic support to donations made by a community” under “instructions” from the government and with the “consent” of the “military high command.” In any case, I understand he is implicated in some other deals in the same case; c. GIK would pretend ignorance, as indeed he never involved himself directly. d.Of course one has to meet the genuine ends of law. In that case, let us take care of the sensitivities like special operations and possibly that of the army.”

In his court affidavit dated 31-10-1997, he admitted to have written a secret note for the PM and said what could be construed as his being under pressure to dance to the tunes of those who offered him ambassadorship in Germany. He said in his 1997 affidavit: “I wrote down a handwritten ‘eyes only’ letter to the prime minister, providing the information. I also pointed out the implications that I believed were of sensitive nature and requested for discreet handling. Mr. Rahman Malik came back to Germany after a few weeks. My statement had been typed out on a court paper and I was required to sign it for perusal by the commission. I was told that it had the approval of the chief executive and that the matter would be handled confidentially. I signed the prepared statement which was given to me by Mr. Rahman Malik, Director FIA.”

He added: “The statement was got signed by me by Mr. Rahman Malik, under special circumstances and I was given the assurance that the matter would be dealt with confidentially. I do not know under what circumstances the-then interior minister made the statement in the National Assembly. I was unaware about his intentions that are known to him. The affidavit was got signed from me on the understanding that it would only be used for a specific purpose.”

In his affidavit dated May 16, 2012, he contradicted himself in case of Gen Beg by saying: “In fact, I received my initial orders to organise distribution of election donations through him (Gen Beg). Though the subsequent instructions were at times conveyed by Mr. Ijlal Haider Zaidi, a member of the President’s election team.” His 2012 affidavit was not in line with what he wrote in his secret note for the PM.

Gen Durrani: picture of a confused, opportunist ISI chief - thenews.com.pk

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom