Future of JF-17

Hyde

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
self delete

Last edited:
Besides national security sensitivity – at some point it makes sense to buy from somebody else. You might buy a raw material, a semi processed part or a sub-components, but every country at some point you have to import.

Taking on something like manufacturing an aircraft requires a wide ranges of skills, a lot of people who nee to be trained and CAPITAL. You cannot do all this at once. Taking it onboard slowly, in segments and build on your expertise and experience and confidence makes a lot of sense!

How many planes have parts that are only from one nation? How long does it take to build a fighterjet these days? We know that Israel screwed it and had to stop Lavi... We know that India is pretty much repainting it... So how do you think you gonna build one?

indeginious these days mean the design and the ability to, if necessary, put only home may parts in it. if better stuff (radar, engine) is available then who wouldn't what the better stuff?

How many planes have parts that are only from one nation? How long does it take to build a fighterjet these days? We know that Israel screwed it and had to stop Lavi... We know that India is pretty much repainting it... So how do you think you gonna build one?

but i think it was US that screwed Israel i was reading an article (whose link i forgot at the moment) that Lavi was funded by US aid and it was stopped by US due to the threat it posed to US export market.The same story repeated when US recently stopped israeli companies on Grippen NG I inordeer to save US bidders:enjoy:

Well why not?
If you CAN get better stuff for your planes then its logical you would go fot ir.
I mean if it was 100% made in Pakistan the engine would probably be from a Cultus. :p

this is a funny thread - the JF-17 hasnt been inducted yet we are already discussing its future!
sorta like putting the cart before the horse!

Hi,

I am not from any of the military departments but i love reading the comments of our senior members here at Defence.pk. I was wondering we keep claiming JF-17 is a indeginous Aircrafts and blah blah and Indians too claiming their LCA to be indeginious but why we are using Foreign parts and assistance if we claim these aircrafts are indeginious?

I mean Look at JF-17 for example, we claim this aircraft is made by Pakistan and China and is a indeginious aircraft right? then when we go in indepth we hear news like

Russian Engines

Future avionics coming from Britian or Western companies

Italian radar under considerations

Foreign Sams and other missiles etc etc etc

Was it not better if we had waited for little longer and introduced fully indeginious aircraft with the collaboration of Pakistan and China only?

As i said i am nobody from the Airforce or other departments of Security but this question was coming in my mind and wanted to see the suggestions by our senior members

Yours Sincerely :enjoy:

thats the nature of the military business these days - one goes with the flow - nothing is 100% indigenous anywhere in the world.

for eg; Kamra is manufacturing certain parts for Boeing 777s. its all about costs.

a advanced JF-17 will cost the country between US$ 25-30m as compared to a off-the-shelf MiG-29 at USD 40m. so 10m saved!

with the JF-17, we r in control of any potential upgrades, eg; if the french allow the thales radar, it will be manufactured at Kamra with full ToT. the missiles however will be imported as we dont have the maufacturing capability/capacity yet!

so all in all not a bad deal!

Oh my god this is the Toipic i have come across millions of time at this forum and it should be a record and must be coated in GNZ BOOK RECORD

Hi,

I am not from any of the military departments but i love reading the comments of our senior members here at Defence.pk. I was wondering we keep claiming JF-17 is a indeginous Aircrafts and blah blah and Indians too claiming their LCA to be indeginious but why we are using Foreign parts and assistance if we claim these aircrafts are indeginious?

I mean Look at JF-17 for example, we claim this aircraft is made by Pakistan and China and is a indeginious aircraft right? then when we go in indepth we hear news like

Russian Engines

Future avionics coming from Britian or Western companies

Italian radar under considerations

Foreign Sams and other missiles etc etc etc

Was it not better if we had waited for little longer and introduced fully indeginious aircraft with the collaboration of Pakistan and China only?

As i said i am nobody from the Airforce or other departments of Security but this question was coming in my mind and wanted to see the suggestions by our senior members

Yours Sincerely :enjoy:

most of the planes do have some components exported from foreign market. its all about cost and quality sir!
even the grippen uses american components!

regards!

Can someone tell me how many made in Pakistan components go into to JF17?:undecided: Along with name if Pakistani Manufacturers of those components......

do you want to buy some part for you LCA?????? :rofl: :rofl:

The question was just for my information...but if they are worth the money why not?

Don't bother if you don't have the answer...I will try and find the same and share it with you.....

The question was just for my information...but if they are worth the money why not?

Don't bother if you don't have the answer...I will try and find the same and share it with you.....
well bro i think you got a bit serious, it was just a joke! :D
anyway it is true that i do not know the name of manufacturers! infact we do not have many other that the main PAC Kamra!
as for the share of components it is being claimed that 60-70 persentt of airframe is to be made in Pakistan and will have some share in the avionice too. may be if a french radar is finalized for next block we can go for there production at PAC or AWC! i hope this will help you. keep searching for more info and i will do the same so that we can discuss it in more detail on this thread!

regards!

The first JF-17s that flew in pakistani airspace on the occasion of 23rd march were built in China and brought in semi-knocked down state. They were re-assembled and painted in pakistan/china colors and flown on 23rd march, 2007.

Then in Jan 2008, Kamra started limited batch production. Here the planes were brought in a more knocked down parts and were assembled in Kamra. The flight testing facility was commissioned so the plane were assembled and flight testing was performed here. During that time till now, other facilities for manufacturing and avionics were being gradually set-up.

June 2009 saw the commencement of full serial production of the JF-17. Some parts are being imported from china and some will start local production. Gradually, this local production will increase to about 60% of airframe and 80% of avionics by 2010-11.

While individual parts are in the thousands, let me tell you what will be produced in pakistan. Both the wings, tail section and front fuselage. Real fuselage that will house the Russian engine and later (most probably) the chinese engine, will be made in China (atleast the parts with possible assembly at Kamra). This is for the 150 planes initial agreement with China. Pakistan will however have full ToT and, if at a later stage have the finances and decides to go for it, will be able to make 100% of the airframe. The engine, as we all know, will be foreign.

Hope that clears it up.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom