What's new

Friendship with India

Since he didn't say, there is no point speculating.

So what is your practical solution?

Or would you rather continue with the stalemate forever? Irrespective of the costs to Pakistan? And Kashmiris?

Your opinion; we believe the cause is just.

Fine. Are your actions making the situation better for the Kashmiris? Have they made life better for them and Pakistanis?

Or that doesn't matter as long as you think the cause is just?

Nothing was 'debunked'. Indian treachery has been active all these years, from Bangladesh to Baluchistan, from trade to 26/11.

Generalities and rhetoric. You can't seem to get into specifics.

And there is a reason for that.

MFN status and transit rights are being discussed.

Every member of WTO has given MFN status to every other.

It just means that you don't discriminate against the other country and her goods once inside the country get the same treatment as domestic goods.

Transit rights, don't give them unless you feel they benefit you as well.

Would you allow large numbers of Pakistani trucks to transit through India?

May be. I don't see anything inherently sinister in that if we have decent safeguards.

So what is your practical solution?

Given the power disparity and Indian intransigence, there is no solution yet. The proper solution, self determination, remains the right choice and there should be no compromise on that.

Fine. Are your actions making the situation better for the Kashmiris? Have they made life better for them and Pakistanis?

Or that doesn't matter as long as you think the cause is just?

We're going in circles. We don't accept your "might is right" solution.
I already outlined the proper solution and the way Pakistani must change its approach.

Generalities and rhetoric. You can't seem to get into specifics.

I mentioned Bangladesh to Baluchistan, trade to 26/11.
Just because you don't want to accept India's handling of these matters doesn't mean we will overlook them.

Transit rights, don't give them unless you feel they benefit you as well.

It's not a question of benefit but security risk. The people obsessed with India would undermine the nation's security for a quick buck.

Given the power disparity and Indian intransigence, there is no solution yet. The proper solution, self determination, remains the right choice and there should be no compromise on that.

Yet it is impractical as you yourself admit!

So a stalemate is the best you can think of? That is the current reality as well.

So basically you have no new ideas except "separation" which you are not able to distinguish much from the current reality as well.

We're going in circles. We don't accept your "might is right" solution.
I already outlined the proper solution and the way Pakistani must change its approach.

Actually you do or at least did.

LET etc. are a manifestation of that. Zia certainly thought he could wrest India with Islamic militancy. After it was proven to be false, it is still continuing because no one knows any better.

I mentioned Bangladesh to Baluchistan, trade to 26/11.
Just because you don't want to accept India's handling of these matters doesn't mean we will overlook them.

What does "India's handling of these matters" mean?

Baluchistan, your own insiders are saying that the gulf Arabs are the ones who are promoting that!

26/11 was a terrorist attack on India by Pakistani terrorists and Pakistan has not yet punished a single one of those responsible.

And you are trying to blame us?

Trade, you have nothing that can pass muster.

BD, no point going over that now.

It's not a question of benefit but security risk. The people obsessed with India would undermine the nation's security for a quick buck.

I am sure the final decision will be taken by people who care about Pakistan's security. It is not a reality now. Why worry about hypothetical threats when we are discussing the way forward?

Yet it is impractical as you yourself admit!

I won't bother repeating myself since this is going in circles.

So basically you have no new ideas except "separation" which you are not able to distinguish much from the current reality as well.

Very different. There is no need for MFN, transit routes, or the belief that relations with India must improve for Pakistan to progress.

Just freeze relations at the "cordial" level and seek out markets and relationships in the wide world out there.

Actually you do or at least did.

Nope. If we accepted your "might is right" solution, we would have accepted the LOC as international border and be done with it.

What does "India's handling of these matters" mean?

I won't bother repeating myself yet again since you are reading what you want to read, not what is written there.

It has to be admitted that you bring a lot of rationality to the table. Discussing these issues, even when they are held close to the heart in different ways by various points of view, is not only possible, but even edifying.

I hope there will be no general disapprobation if I place my musket firmly on the shoulders of @Contrarian and @Vinod2070 and fire a few shots in no particular direction.

Musharraf's solution was no solution at all; it essentially caved in to the Indian position.

Might that not be the essence of the matter? That accepting that the elements of the situation make it far more likely that any resolution will come about out of the Indian position, than any other?

Bad tactics do not invalidate the cause itself.

This is precisely what I was referring to in my second mail: to even intelligent Pakistanis, all your causes are good one's; there is nothing wrong with your positions. It is just that the rub of the green always, infuriatingly, goes against you. God is very unfair to his chosen people. Or call it the ineptitude of your diplomats and civil servants, instead of God. The effect is still the same.

The size of an economy says nothing about its composition. GCC countries also have a big economy but who's putting bets on what happens once the oil runs out.

Simply exporting raw materials and low tech products will get the economy going for a while, but the long term payoff lies with a value-added, knowledge-based economy. This is where Pakistani planning has fallen flat.

The help Pakistan received by the West was qualitatively different from what India received fmrom the Soviets.

Most of the Western largesse went into the pockets of the elite and there was precious little benefit to the masses. The elite sold off sovereignty for their personal gain. The abject failure of Pakistani diplomacy -- alliance and all -- can be seen by the fact that the West never came to Pakistan's help in the wars.

India, on the other hand, received a lot of know-how from the Soviets which they used to build up local capability, from steel to military to space tech.

The only viable solution is the Kashmiris' right to self determination. You are right that neither country will budge, which is why this remains a stalemate.

There is no question that Pakistani behavior set up the situation in the first place. My point was that the Indians pounced on the opportunity, exacerbating it, and ultimately pulling off a coup. This was not exactly the behavior of a "friend" as some are wont to portray India.

That is why i keep trying to share with people some sense of the emotions welling up in Calcutta at that time. The Indian establishment did not willingly pounce on the opportunity. They were forced to do so by increasingly volatile sentiment on the street.

India was far more interested in playing politics in the aftermath of 26/11 than to resolve the matter honestly. Indian diplomacy is fully focused on portraying India as the victim of Pak-origin terrorism while denying its own role in fomenting trouble within Pakistan. This has been debated ad nauseum on this forum and we probably disagree, but that is how we see India's behavior.

But isn't the whole world in agreement on that, about Pakistan's complicity? Are all the published studies and documents wrong? Has Indian diplomacy reached inside international analytical circles and academic circles, and blinded them all?

Some American general -- forget his name -- also made comments about Indian presence in Afghanistan, but it doesn't matter. Given the American game plan in the region, we fully expect India to get a pass from the Western media. It doesn't change the fact that we know who is doing what where.

How come it is always Pakistan's view, without evidence of any kind, except what prisoners seeking escape from torture might blurt out to satisfy the questioners, against the rest of the world? Was my observation that Pakistan invents its own torments quite so wrong?

Gulf countries, absolutely. America, Afghanistan and India, also.

But not Iran: given the demographics, Iranian and Pakistani goals coincide against Baluch separatism.

I agree, solely regarding the role of Iran. My observation was badly worded. My information was that Iran was active, butt against the Sunni organisations killing Shias en masse.

And they say we hold crazy theories about India.

Does it occur to the Indians that we support the Kashmiris because they asked us and we promised to help them? It's a moral obligation to help when someone being oppressed asks for your help.

Really? <deleted in response to @Developereo's reasoned objections> And when did Pakistan finally give up its insistence on acquiring the whole of Kashmir? After she had illegally transferred Gilgit and Baltistan to itself? Was this entirely altruistic, chivalrous help, or an extension of that baseless sense of grievance that propelled the separatist movement within the freedom struggle, and gave the British so much more wiggle room?

I put it to you that Pakistan has from its conception been based on a quest for equation of the section of the Indian population following Islam with the rest of the Indian population. I put it to you that having achieved a segregation through partition, it has been a fundamental principle of Pakistan to seek parity, in every field, within and beyond reason. I wish to point out that even your present proposal that there should be disengagement till a future occasion is itself based on a hope to see some miracle take place which sets Pakistan and India on par. Never mind the evidence that the gap between the two is likely to widen, and that Pakistan's best moment for reconciliation is now, not some impossible time in the future when both draw even.

You might like to take into account that when this parity cannot be achieved in a straightforward way, it is imbued in the national policy to take whatever measures of desperation might seem to hold some dim chance of success, even if it mean bloodshed and actions against the innocent and defenceless civilian population.

Is it pure coincidence that Pakistan's role in Kashmir began with covert terrorism with a mixture of state- and non-state players, continued with state players, who failed lamentably to get popular support, then revived again in 1984, conveniently when ballot-rigging by one faction of the Kashmiri provincial leadership alienated another?

That is why I made that mordant comment.

Indian analyses involving -- as always -- mullahs and generals are amusing to read but they say more about the Indians than about Pakistanis.

Possibly it amuses you.

On a number of occasions, you have yourself made assertions based on no evidence other than that you know.

If we were to observe you externally, as we do, then what we observe is what is recorded. If it is a hugely distorted version of reality in your country, it should worry you, that you are so little understood.

Such articles only promote corrupt & propaganda against Pakistan, these writters are only out there to impress their masters & they show them that we are for rent, please rent & we will bark.

Friendship with India No chance, no way & as far as terrorism in Pakistan goes it is fully supported by India, there are tons of evidence available.

For instance?

The evidence against Pakistan is from third parties. Is there anything similar you have to cite?

Or is it again a case of you know, but you are not at liberty to say?

@Joe Shearer This article perhaps presupposes that the Indian populace wants friendship. We want peace or well at least a relative one, but friendship? For what purpose and to what benefit? The only thing Pakistan can "offer" is a halt to terrorism, which is not as much an offer as it is coercion. A form of coercion further exacerbated by the fact that today there are serious doubts about whether the GOP could even live up to its end of their "offer" even if they wanted to.

Trade is all well and good, might even prove beneficial. Trade can also bring some allied industries together, but such trade can at best provide us a market and cheap raw material. As far as trade routes to the CAR are concerned, well Pakistan can only access the CAR through Afghanistan and that one bit of relevant information should be enough to dismiss any notion that they will ever be able to provide us with a functioning network of trade routes anytime in the near future.

We have nothing to gain from friendship, they can offer us nothing of substantial value. Pakistan can indeed keep up its well practiced coercion but we've seen exactly how receptive we have been to that when it comes to Kashmir. A superficial and devoid of nuance article at best.

I believe that the article supposes India to be open to an overture of friendship.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't bother repeating myself since this is going in circles.

Very different. There is no need for MFN, transit routes, or the belief that relations with India must improve for Pakistan to progress.

Just freeze relations at the "cordial" level and seek out markets and relationships in the wide world out there.

Nope. If we accepted your "might is right" solution, we would have accepted the LOC as international border and be done with it.

I won't bother repeating myself yet again since you are reading what you want to read, not what is written there.

See, it's not about winning an argument.

I was just trying to see if there was a hard rationale in the position or is it just by force of habit.

Unfortunately, I have to conclude the latter.

I also think that the need to find morality externally (as so little is seen within) for an ideological state is part of the issue as well.

Anyway, nice talking to you.

The Indian establishment did not willingly pounce on the opportunity. They were forced to do so by increasingly volatile sentiment on the street.

I think Indira Gandhi articulated her "plans" for Pakistan were more than mere appeasement to Indian masses.

But isn't the whole world in agreement on that, about Pakistan's complicity? Are all the published studies and documents wrong? Has Indian diplomacy reached inside international analytical circles and academic circles, and blinded them all?

How come it is always Pakistan's view, without evidence of any kind, except what prisoners seeking escape from torture might blurt out to satisfy the questioners, against the rest of the world? Was my observation that Pakistan invents its own torments quite so wrong?

Both of these situations have to do with the fact that India is the darling of the dominant West for now and the Indian narrative gets preference over Pakistan's. Note that India has been trying this Pak terrorism angle for a while but was getting nowhere before 9/11.

Really? Like you rallied to the Tamil cause? Or the help and encouragement you gave the Tutsi against the Hutu? Was Kashmir the only cause that appealed to you?

That's not a fair objection. It's like saying why bother saving one child unless you can save them all.

Pakistan is not the global policeman; we should do what we can according to our abilities and focus on our region. Setting aside the fact that the Kashmiris asked us, unlike these others, there is an ethnic and cultural bond with Kashmiris which makes their struggle more immediate.

I put it to you that Pakistan has from its conception been based on a quest for equation of the section of the Indian population following Islam with the rest of the Indian population. I put it to you that having achieved a segregation through partition, it has been a fundamental principle of Pakistan to seek parity, in every field, within and beyond reason.

Are you saying Pakistan is out to prove that Muslims are the equals (or superiors) of Hindus? While I don't deny that some Pakistanis might feel that way, I don't think most Pakistanis think of it that way on a conscious level.

As far as competition with India as a country, what is so wrong with setting goals and benchmarks? If it wasn't India, it might be Iran or Turkey, Malaysia or China.

Pakistan should observe every country and copy tactics which have proven to give results. Ultimately, the race is with oneself, but it never hurts to see where one is in the race itself.

Pakistan's best moment for reconciliation is now, not some impossible time in the future when both draw even.

There's the hard sell again: take the deal now 'cause that's the best you'll ever get.

Maybe we will, maybe we won't.

If we were to observe you externally, as we do, then what we observe is what is recorded. If it is a hugely distorted version of reality in your country, it should worry you, that you are so little understood.

We are in full agreement that Pakistan has not been able to project a global image on its own terms, and has been defined by others.

I think Indira Gandhi articulated her "plans" for Pakistan were more than mere appeasement to Indian masses.

And another Indian - oops, sorry! - Australian bites the dust. Quite honestly, she was a master tactician, as her political career will show on close examination. She was no strategist. She did not have the patience to mount a campaign over several months. Much of that famous interview is self-serving, Indira at her best. The kindest description of her would be a consummate opportunist. She actually had nothing in mind but a demonstrative action, and certainly none of her actions, in and out of the cabinet, showed any slight inkling that she had a greater purpose other than to rattle the bars. You are aware , of course, that a key minister was reporting the cabinet proceedings meeting by meeting to the CIA. While some elements in the Indian establishment took evasive action, others, including, in all probability, Indira, remained oblivious. What we gain from this multi-faceted insight, is that she hoped for a 65-like situation, which would force the Pakistani troops in East Pakistan onto the back foot, and give her room to insist that the refugees be allowed back as a condition for peace.

It was the military that delivered a most unexpected and conclusive victory.

Both of these situations have to do with the fact that India is the darling of the dominant West for now and the Indian narrative gets preference over Pakistan's. Note that India has been trying this Pak terrorism angle for a while but was getting nowhere before 9/11.

I thought we were discussing the academic and analytical segment.

If somebody or a group of people analyse the narratives of dead LeT terrorists, and concludes that they come from the same class and background as the bulk of the PA, and that they are mainly deployed in terrorist attacks in Afghanistan and in India, and that they all die within five years of beginning training, is that an Indian narrative?

Further, if your contention is to be taken at face value, then Pakistan got artificial shelter for decades before that, and her actions escaped scrutiny because of the benign attitude of her patrons.

Why complain when the situation reverses?

You will make us think that your proposal to step back is actually intended to buy time until the pendulum swings again, in Pakistan's favour. As you probably realise, as your comment a few steps below indicates, this is a dicey proposition. It may happen, it may not. The world is changing.

That's not a fair objection. It's like saying why bother saving one child unless you can save them all.

Pakistan is not the global policeman; we should do what we can according to our abilities and focus on our region. Setting aside the fact that the Kashmiris asked us, unlike these others, there is an ethnic and cultural bond with Kashmiris which makes their struggle more immediate.

You have a point in saying my objection was not a fair objection. I am withdrawing it. That does not constitute an agreement with your subsequent afterthought, that ethnic and cultural bonds make the struggle of the Kashmiris (assuming that it exists independent of ISI subventions) immediate. Whose ethnicity? Which culture? Even the Mirpuris culture is distinct from the Kashmiri. The ethnicity is shared with no element of existing Pakistan.

My retraction is only of my remark that Pakistan should have thought of the wider suffering masses other than their favourite Kashmiris.

Are you saying Pakistan is out to prove that Muslims are the equals (or superiors) of Hindus? While I don't deny that some Pakistanis might feel that way, I don't think most Pakistanis think of it that way on a conscious level.

As far as competition with India as a country, what is so wrong with setting goals and benchmarks? If it wasn't India, it might be Iran or Turkey, Malaysia or China.

I believe that this was behind the Two Nation Theory, an unwillingness to accept that a return to the Delhi Sultanate or to the Mughal Empire was no longer possible in modern conditions, and a concomitant unwillingness to deal with the reality of contemporary demographics.

Today I am engaged in setting up a private university in the heart of what was Rohilkhand. The intention, to give hope and opportunities for progress to a backward area. There are 1,000 hostel beds for men, another 1,000 for women. It is our common fond hope that this may cut short the frustration which makes the area notorious for producing nothing more than 'shooters' for Bombay mobs. More than the demographic share of teachers and administrators is from a particular community, and we are encouraging it, without turning the place into another parochial minority institution.

There was, in fact, no reason to worry. There was every sign of envy and of a desire to enjoy distinction beyond individual capacity or desert.

While it may not be in the day-to-day thinking of most Pakistanis, this need to stand on a pedestal was quite evident in every utterance of the political leaders of the community before independence, and it is readily available in every single thread on PDF. Look, for instance, at the idiotic thread on mathematicians. Lame though the topic might be, it impelled people to call the list of mathematicians a list of prehistoric Hindu cavemen.

I am being empirical, not didactic, in my selection of evidence.

Pakistan should observe every country and copy tactics which have proven to give results. Ultimately, the race is with oneself, but it never hurts to see where one is in the race itself.

Put that way, who can cavil?

There's the hard sell again: take the deal now 'cause that's the best you'll ever get.

Maybe we will, maybe we won't.

Oh, absolutely.

Think of me as a somewhat unlikely Cassandra, not as a Procrustes.

We are in full agreement that Pakistan has not been able to project a global image on its own terms, and has been defined by others.

I had hoped, and seemingly that was hoping for too much, that some reflections on morality would come up for airing. Never mind.

The fact that I am able to conduct a most rational discussion with the redoubtable Developereo, he who strode the field like a latter day du Guesclin, is progress. I leave with my head intact. Huge progress.

Peace is in the interests of both countries. I believe it is time for the people of the two said countries to stop bickering amongst themselves and working hard to ensure the well-being of both their citizens.

However I do believe that in light of the Samjhauta express attacks which were proven to be a local plot by a Hindutva organization claims of Mumbai attacks need to be checked. It is common knowledge that India seeks to frame Pakistan in almost all cases.

Peace is in the interests of both countries. I believe it is time for the people of the two said countries to stop bickering amongst themselves and working hard to ensure the well-being of both their citizens.

However I do believe that in light of the Samjhauta express attacks which were proven to be a local plot by a Hindutva organization claims of Mumbai attacks need to be checked. It is common knowledge that India seeks to frame Pakistan in almost all cases.

Your first paragraph is easy to accept, your second is not.

There is so much body of evidence about the happenings in Bombay that there is no wiggle room left.

Incidentally, your remark was based on frail logic. If it had not been for Indian investigators, and for the public declaration of the facts as they stand at the first instance, how do you think the facts of the Samjhauta Express got known? If India had wanted to make a false accusation against Pakistan, as you imply, why would Indian investigating agencies arrest Captain Purohit?

There is so much body of evidence about the happenings in Bombay that there is no wiggle room left.

Incidentally, your remark was based on frail logic. If it had not been for Indian investigators, and for the public declaration of the facts as they stand at the first instance, how do you think the facts of the Samjhauta Express got known? If India had wanted to make a false accusation against Pakistan, as you imply, why would Indian investigating agencies arrest Captain Purohit?

I was in Lucknow when the Samjhauta Express attacks occured. If you were in India too you surely would have noticed that they claimed Samjhauta Express was the doing of LET. Instead investigations reveal the nexus of Purohit and Sadhvi Pragya and another accused. Pakistan was blamed initially. The corrupt and inept rulers sitting in government missed this one. We should have demanded justice.

@Vinod2070

You must understand that you are dealing with the symptoms. The symptoms of an intractable and refractory malaise, one which leads a whole nation to believe that somehow they are God's blessing to this planet. Any proof, reference or sign to the contrary is relegated to the heap of conspiracy theories, theories which find ample oxygen and manure in the fertile minds of a frustrated populace. A populace which has seen its "best men" attempt at bringing a "vindictive" neighbor to its knees through righteous might. As these luminaries fail one by one and are relegated to ignominious defeat the only option left is then to do the following:-

1) Shift the goal posts in the following manner- "Kargil was not about capturing land to enforce negotiations on Siachen from a position of relative equality but was rather about getting eyes on a highway and bringing the issue of Kashmir to the forefront".

2) The age old Kansas city shuffle wherein "The baniyas were far too clever for us, consequently they got the mendacious Bengalis to rebel against their fair and bred on wheat masters.".

3) Externalizing the cause of the malaise wherein "the Americans have brought this upon us conveniently forgetting who it was that petitioned for their intervention and presence in the first place." (I would suggest a mandatory reading of "Friends Not Masters" authored by Ayub Khan for all the proponents of such a belief).

4) Finally when all else fails then a protracted claim of everything else being a part of the thousand year war against the oppression of the unbelievers (baniyas, jews and sundry).

You will be hard pressed to find anything that shall make them less intransigent and it would be an exercise in futility to even ponder over a possible mitigation of the aforementioned malaise. At best though, I for one cannot blame them for it- obstinacy, obdurateness and the pit they have been digging for themselves are all well in accordance with their fundamental rights as is their claim of "sovereignty".

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in Lucknow when the Samjhauta Express attacks occured. If you were in India too you surely would have noticed that they claimed Samjhauta Express was the doing of LET. Instead investigations reveal the nexus of Purohit and Sadhvi Pragya and another accused. Pakistan was blamed initially. The corrupt and inept rulers sitting in government missed this one. We should have demanded justice.

And whose investigations revealed the nexus of Purohit and Sadhvi Pragya? The CIA? Or the ISI?

The corrections were made, not under international pressure, the only way to get Pakistani agencies to admit anything, but independently.

Do you get the point? If corrections can be made, and were made, why would they not have been made in other cases, like Bombay? And did you imagine that David Headley's testimony was extracted under CIA torture? Or Kasab's ?

What do you mean we should have demanded justice? We gave you that even without you asking for it.

Back
Top Bottom