What's new

Free medicines to all Indians, US$ 50 billion each year for healthcare

Yes, bro.

Ur talking like a informed person.

Even narayan murti was saying the same. Why the hell Mukesh Ambani not taxed for reliance shares he owned.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

When everybody is eligible for free medicine who will buy it in black?????? :rolleyes:

And i have already said use right to information act to keep an tab.

Also "Kya cycle se girne ke darr se, cycle na chalaye???"

Some medicine is really expensive now say if I pose as somebody ill or I know someone who can give me prescription I can later sell the drugs to make some paisa.

IMO food subsidy has been wasted with stupid supply chain and wastage...Hope the medicines reach the needy.

provide free generic medicines to all those who visit government healthcare facilities across the country

There needs to be no corruption in these goverment healthcare places for this to work

Yea we have free meds and treatments through NHS. But we also get taxed at 30% of the wages we earn so literally we are paying for it. Dentists are f$%$ expensive even through NHS:taz:

Your telling me? I once paid £130 just for a white filling :angry:

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

BTW Uk has £1 trillion debt now so we dont want to follow the approach of Europe

Your telling me? I once paid £130 just for a white filling :angry:

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

BTW Uk has £1 trillion debt now so we dont want to follow the approach of Europe
My Mum paid £250 for filling and £50 with discounted viewing to the dentist £300 is insane

At least our Healthcare budget is ahead of our Defence one thats how it should be.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

My Mum paid £250 for filling and £50 with discounted viewing to the dentist £300 is insane

ouch! that is damn expensive for me I had no choice I was in pain and had to see the dentist otherwise I would have waited till I came to India. You know some of these Dentist hike up their rates on purpose like they say oh you need so and so work done but really they are lying just to make a quick buck.

A current setup at Delhi.

24x7 pharmacy opens at AIIMS to give 56% discount, install complaint box

NEW DELHI: There's good news for 10,000-odd patients, who visit AIIMS' OPD daily.

In a first-of-its-kind venture in a government hospital, a 24x7 pharmacy shop opened at the hospital this week has the mandate to provide all medicines and surgical consumables prescribed by an AIIMS doctor to an OPD patient at a 56% discount on MRP across the board.

Imagine getting an anti-cancer drug - most of which cost at least Rs 80,000, for around Rs 35,200.

Till now, medicines of patients admitted in the hospital's general ward were free or highly subsidized.

"There was no any mechanism to serve the medication needs of the OPD patients. These patients were left with no choice but to purchase the medicines from the private pharmacy shops located across the road at exorbitant prices. These included around 10,000 new patients and double the number of old patients coming up for follow-up, from across the country. Now, this pharmacy will provide all drugs at a 56% discount on MRP," said Dr Shakti Gupta, who headed a committee that decided on setting up the pharmacy. A committee, headed by HoD pharmacology Dr Y K Gupta, is overlooking its implementation.

Dr Gupta said, "We have taken a Rs 50-lakh performance guarantee from those running the clinic. If they default, don't provide the medicines, provide substandard medicines or are always out of stock, they will be considered defaulters and lose the Rs 50-lakh security."

The idea of creating a pharmacy was floated through an open tender. The requirement included that the drugs need to cost 30% lesser than MRP.

"We received 12 proposals. The best proposal offered the drugs at 56% discount - the highest among all tenders," Dr Gupta added.

At present, the pharmacy caters only to OPD patients being treated by AIIMS doctors. "The vendor has been told to boldly advertise that all drugs including those needed for chemotherapy here are 56% lesser than MRP. The pharmacy has been stocked as per a list of medicines provided by AIIMS that includes all categories. There can be no compromise on medicine quality and no patient can be turned away by the pharmacy. The monitoring committee will keep a close watch on it," Dr Gupta added.

The World Health Organization recently said 3.2% Indians fall below the poverty line because of high medical bills. About 78% of Indians spend their entire income on healthcare - a majority of which is because of purchasing drugs.

The Planning Commission accepts that out of pocket expenditure to pay for healthcare costs is a growing problem. It says 39 million Indians are pushed to poverty because of ill health every year. Around 30% in rural India didn't go for any treatment for financial constraints in 2004. In urban areas, 20% of ailments were untreated for financial problems the same year. States have cut down on expenses to purchase drugs, adding to aam admi's woes.

The Planning Commission's expert group on universal health coverage has recommended ensuring availability of free essential medicines by increasing public spending on drug procurement.

Vendor told to boldly advertise that all drugs cost 56% lesser than MRP. There can be no compromise on medicine quality & no patient can be turned away by the pharmacy, says Dr Shakti Gupta.24x7 pharmacy opens at AIIMS, offers big savings - Times Of India

Back
Top Bottom