What's new

France, Britain agree to invest 2 billion euros in drone prototype project

@mike2000 is back @Blue Marlin @Providence

While France agreed to look into integrating the Brimstone into our next version of the Tiger,UK will look into integrating the future Aster block 1NT into their Type 45 destroyers. ;)
-
FRANCE LAUNCHES ASTER BLOCK 1 NT PROGRAMME

..............It also covers the modernization of the current SAMP/T system to provide enhanced capabilities particularly against ballistic missiles. These evolutions will enable SAMP/T to further enhance its contribution towards NATO’s anti-ballistic missile defence programme.

http://www.mbda-systems.com/press-releases/france-launches-aster-block-1-nt-programme/

Leaving Germany out allready boosts this project's chances of success.

I swear I laughed. :lol:

While France agreed to look into integrating the Brimstone into our next version of the Tiger,UK will look into integrating the future Aster block 1NT into their Type 45 destroyers. ;)
-
FRANCE LAUNCHES ASTER BLOCK 1 NT PROGRAMME:lol:

So capabilities against 1500km initially, and with blk 2 against 3000km ballistic missiles, which covers the whole range of an MRBM like, say, DF-26:

1280px-Dong-Feng_26.JPG

But what's the range of Aster 30 blk 1NT and Aster 30 blk 2? I can't find any range estimations for Aster 30 beond what's written on Wikipedia, which may or may not be accurate.

How do they compare to SM-3 whos blocks IA/B have a flight altitude of 500km and a range of 700km and whose blk IIA has a flight altitude of 1500km and a range of 2500km!

This is a IIA, the center piece of AEGIS Ashore batteries in Romania.
1635715_-_main.jpg

Or is it more fair to compare Aster 30 to SM-6 whose flight altitude is around 33,000M and with a range of 240km?

rtn_192622.jpg

I took this from an Army-Technology article on the Aster 30, but it seems on the low end, is it true?

The maximum speed of Aster 30 is 1.4km/sec. Aster 30 has the capability to intercept targets at altitudes from 50m to 20km. Against aircraft targets flying at altitudes above 3km, the maximum range of the Aster 30 is 100km. At aircraft targets with altitudes below 3km, the range of Aster 30 is 50km.

Last edited:
Will it be a mix of BAE Taranis and Dassault Neuron ?
Yes, this deal was a long time coming. I remember mentioning it when i first joined PDF. The rumor was that the UK and France would be using the techniques they learned to build a joint drone, due to some sort of defense cooperation treaty that both countries had signed a long time ago.

-
FRANCE LAUNCHES ASTER BLOCK 1 NT PROGRAMME

France launches Aster Block 1 NT programme - MBDA

I swear I laughed. :lol:

Good initiative.
TheThing is most EU members lack of commitment to defence and this is shown by their spending. No other EU state equals the amount the UK commits in absolute terms, or as a percentage of GDP. Other than Britain and France, no major EU military power comes close to meeting the two per cent of GDP membership of NATO requires.:disagree: As i said before there is a feeling of complacency among European countries and leaving the U.S,U.K, and France shoulder all the burden to defend Europe in NATO.:hitwall:

It's for this reason that i'm against the idea of an E.U army. Since an EU Army, in line with the Union more generally, would excel at furnishing itself with all the baubles and luxurious trappings of office, but would fail at the serious task of defence.:sick:

There would be shiny new headquarters, flags and generals, but an EU army could never become a serious deterrent or fighting force. lol :bounce: So France and Britain need to continue their strong defence ties and cooperation, the others can carry on with what they want. :pop:
MNT-OFFICIAL-20140715-074-037g.jpg

20140131summit03.jpg
UK%20andfL.jpg

.:disagree: As i said before there is a feeling of complacency among European countries and leaving the U.S,U.K, and France shoulder all the burden to defend Europe in NATO.:hitwall:

It's for this reason that i'm against the idea of an E.U army. Since an EU Army, in line with the Union more generally, would excel at furnishing itself with all the baubles and luxurious trappings of office, but would fail at the serious task of defence.:sick:

There would be shiny new headquarters, flags and generals, but an EU army could never become a serious deterrent or fighting force. lol :bounce: So France and Britain need to continue their strong defence ties and cooperation, the others can carry on with what they want. :pop:

In between those smilies lies a tango between position and role.
Due to their pasts that share grandeur and Empire but also the humility born out of time shaping maturity,
those two nations are Europe's commando militaries if you will, it's SFs and Recon teams! For the same
reason, they share an honour that they understand as both a tool and a burden : UN SC permanent seats.

Most of the other Euros are saddled by historic complacency. The rich ones have mostly embraced the win
enjoyed by money over politics that was financial globalization. Their militaries are export tools. Without them,
they'd lose money so they maintain them. Germany, due to the immense social constraints left behind by those
50 years of Weltschmerz that darkened the second half of the 20th century for them [ that would be '39-89 kids ] for
example, has its armed forces reduced to the role of prop for sales, the forces constituting the country's biggest
ministry ( department ) of very civil servants, plus fonctionnaires que fonctionnels! The smaller ones have another
motivation for their absence of interest and subsequent lack of abilities. Their complacency for world affairs is
either due to tunnel vision engendered by the menace from the Cold or difficulties in reforming
( with or without hyphen )
their nation, destroyed as it was by wars or constructivism, which they answer with the mantra : America.

They see themselves as de facto vassals of the United States. We see ourselves as allies to/with it!
... Because of which, we maintain our forces at an operational level so that they may help implement politics,
a role armies have always held, not as a teller booth to dish out subsidies and payments for their subjugation.

Until the two types are reconciled in some way, they're better kept apart!

That is why we are taking such a role in the Defence of Europe that we seems to have detached from it :​
Because we can!
Because we know it has to be done and because they forgot that!

How shall we explain that Europe has a role in world affairs to nations uncertain about their place in Europe
and from that convince them to join?
It's like telling a kid of 8 that if he sacrifices his youth to the hardship of incessant training and injuries, he may
play point with Lionel Messi one day, and join him in applying tactics built on offense instead of the drudged stra-
tegy of blocking the rearguard favoured by the coach. But the kid is lukewarm because he is not confident that he
can even reach national team level & he'll point out that by then Messi will have retired anyway ...
so better please the coach?
Besides, some kids are not interested in football, period. At best they want to read poetry or learn the violin;
at worst, they'll be back to the cartoons or MTV before you finish explaining the above. Forget hard training
and dreams of glory : Shakira and Kanye are on! Thanks Uncle Sam for leaving the TV on and us in front of it
so we don't have to think about more pressing matters and ignore the future until it's become the past.
Pessimistic interlude, I know! Realism will do that to one, sorry, Tay.

Last edited:
FCAS studies HD video - ASDS Media Bank

Dassault's propaganda bureau just leaked a couple tidbits :

The clip opens on an upside down German flag in front of a French one! OMG!
Does it mean that Deutschland is to be left behind or premonitory that it will come and muddle the FCAS?

During first chat segment : Lady talks and uses Joint Venture agreement ( an existing one )
then boss questions a report that some will re-use prior participations' results.
Ref. Possibly Neuron but most likely Taranis.

Also a mention of a maturity criterion. ( For the selection of a leader per segment? )

@47s Lady says - " ... we will need a joint SOW, signed by 6 hands ... "
The image then ( around 50s ) gives those signatories as the six firms involved ...
which means there will be a unified production method, i.e. reproducible?

Boss then asks for hypotheses to be put up.

CAD shows dual side by side weapons bays. Not clear if meaningful or to throw us off.
The commentary however clearly points to a Dassault preference for a simpler trailing
edge than the one shown with an angle position offset to the leading edge's own break.

Surface mounted sensors mentioned ( ofc ).

Past 2 minutes, interesting bit where the lead engineer mentions a dual canted ejectors
to center the weapons and the screen shows us 2 AASM together in one bay leading us
to envision a four HAMMER-sized weapons payload ( w/wo AAMs ) as standard.

IMP. Clear joke about where a pilot would fit by a senior member clearly setting the FCAS
away from the optionally piloted 6schtroumpfesqueGen that floated at the beginning in 2012.

Then the precision that all sensors will mostly face downward comforting the general idea
that the present role of the FCAS will indeed follow Taranis-nEUROn concept of deported
to autonomous air to ground vehicle and that it will be a tech and mostly IT intensive program.

I'll bet this program if left to develop in peace ( as in in one piece for example ) will indeed
make it to production.

Good day all, Tay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom