What's new

Formation of a COIN warfare unit separate from the army to deal with insurgents?

We have enough units. At most Para Military Forces of Pakistan should have their own SSG type force. What we need is few different things. First, we need a Directorate of National Intelligence led by some senior minister or even PM in which offices of all Pakistan's intelligence departments are there I mean sub departments. Where all intelligence gathered by all the agencies is shared. Plus, we need a Special Forces command wherever teams are required they can dispatch them. Finally special forces of Police need to be improved further equipped with MRAP, BP Vests, new assault rifles, Sniper Guns and Helicopters.

On the topic of drone usage:

I believe very devoutly that the usage of drone technology in counter insurgency will lead to a massive decrease in the number of attacks. In fact, it may even remove it altogether

Asymmetrical warfare relies on guerrilla warfare tactics such as ambushes, covert attacks and sniper attacks.

In short, they rely on being hidden. If you have eyes everywhere, you take away their main advantage.

In terms of the availability and usage of the technology, I am sure that it would be very easy to integrate. A drone operative unit could simply expand to include small, commercially available reconnaissance drones. These are expensive for the individual, but a fraction of the price of designated military drones. Furthermore, the usage of drones to drop mortars has been shown within the Ukraine war. Many of these drones are simply upgraded versions of the ones bought off the shelf, yet they have wrecked havoc on ground forces.

A swarm of these drones could completely eradicate an asymmetrical assault, by working in tandem with locating the insurgents through the reconnaissance systems, and then eliminating them in the mortar swarm.

This could get the job done without having to even put boots on the ground. At most, troops would only have to be deployed to mop up the ones behind fortifications or in areas with civilians

On top of this, the terrain of Balochistan tends to be very flat and barren. This means that the BLA’s attacks are done under the cover of darkness. Take away that cover by having drones equipped with night vision, and they are simply just sitting ducks
Thanks. Very informative.

If I am not wrong, most of our casualties have been in Balochistan in the recent years' surge, and not KPK. And the terrain is perfect, as you've pointed out for this kind of stuff. You'd think there'd be some introspection and improvisation. Is this something that has ever been seriously discussed by the decision makers? What, in your opinion, are hurdles in the implementation? Is it just the usual bureaucratic babu-ism or is there something more to it?

The current usage of black tactical vests upon camouflage plate carriers of the Pk army is a massive problem.

Due to Balochistan’s terrain, the black vests can be seen from a massive distance away.

The current pk army BDU, however is almost perfectly suited to the terrain.

In the aim to reduce casualties, this must definitely be considered

We have enough units. At most Para Military Forces of Pakistan should have their own SSG type force. What we need is few different things. First, we need a Directorate of National Intelligence led by some senior minister or even PM in which offices of all Pakistan's intelligence departments are there I mean sub departments. Where all intelligence gathered by all the agencies is shared. Plus, we need a Special Forces command wherever teams are required they can dispatch them. Finally special forces of Police need to be improved further equipped with MRAP, BP Vests, new assault rifles, Sniper Guns and Helicopters.
I think the capacity building of the regular police forces of Pakistan is something that often gets overlooked.

Thanks. Very informative.

If I am not wrong, most of our casualties have been in Balochistan in the recent years' surge, and not KPK. And the terrain is perfect, as you've pointed out for this kind of stuff. You'd think there'd be some introspection and improvisation. Is this something that has ever been seriously discussed by the decision makers? What, in your opinion, are hurdles in the implementation? Is it just the usual bureaucratic babu-ism or is there something more to it?

To be fair, my previous speculation on the reason why the forces where not upgraded is very simple.

It is tragic, but the top brass need to hide behind deaths of the soldiers. By levelling up the quality of these forces, a lot less soldiers would die, and there would be less deaths to hide behind

The main advantage of the FC is the fact that they consist of the men that live in those areas.

This automatically builds a community relationship with the soldiers, and makes it less likely for people to want to fight them.

The same thing must be done in Balochistan, as the BLA will begin to lose support after the people who reside in the area see the BLA attacking their fellow countrymen who are soldiers

Again, this is the same place where the SSG falls short too.

The civilians and soldiers must build a heavy and strong relationship. This will be done through recruiting units from the specific regions, to guard the same region. This would lead to a huge decrease in TTP/BLA supporters when the public see them killing their own countrymen. This is the same reason why the Frontier Constabulary is well respected in KPK. The same needs to be done in Balochistan, but with a highly skilled group, as the casualties taken by the FC is simply atrocious

I think the capacity building of the regular police forces of Pakistan is something that often gets overlooked.
Agreed until we consider regular Policeman as important to National Security as an Army soldier is or a F-16 is things won't change. Your local Police stations and your police force needs to be equipped with manpower, cars and bikes, fuel for those car and bikes, latest guns, latest forensic labs. At least 100 labs all over Pakistan. Plus improving jails and judicial systems you can't expect any change to come.

Agreed until we consider regular Policeman as important to National Security as an Army soldier is or a F-16 is things won't change. Your local Police stations and your police force needs to be equipped with manpower, cars and bikes, fuel for those car and bikes, latest guns, latest forensic labs. At least 100 labs all over Pakistan. Plus improving jails and judicial systems you can't expect any change to come.

Take a look at this. I really think Pakistan should invest in this level of tech

Eh, we already cant afford propping up another organization. Could just spend more on FC, and give a chunky budget increase to police. Police needs decently trained and equipped SOF units so we dont need the army every time stuff goes down in urban centres. That should suffice, I think.

Again, this is the same place where the SSG falls short too.

The civilians and soldiers must build a heavy and strong relationship. This will be done through recruiting units from the specific regions, to guard the same region. This would lead to a huge decrease in TTP/BLA supporters when the public see them killing their own countrymen. This is the same reason why the Frontier Constabulary is well respected in KPK. The same needs to be done in Balochistan, but with a highly skilled group, as the casualties taken by the FC is simply atrocious
That is how FC is recruited.

This suggestion was briefly touched on in another thread but members wanted to discuss further without derailing from the main topic.

Should Pakistan create a new counter-insurgency unit that operates separate from the army to deal with internal threats mainly emerging from insurgents in remote areas of Balochistan and Pakhtunkwa?

It can receive training and equipment specifically catered towards countering guerilla warfare tactics and operating in difficult unique terrains found in Pakistan. As well as receiving close support from intelligence agencies, and having access to drone technology, MRAPs, and informants for full coverage surveillance within the insurgent strongholds and surrounding areas.

Over time it will become a refined, effective and experienced force.

We know the FC already exists to serve a similar purpose but they are under-equipped and haven't been as successful as desired. This force will require more funding and increased number of man-power with more refined training and equipment.

@ziaulislam
@[SSG]Q266
Thats CTD which you have explained in the post. It exists already.

That is how FC is recruited.

Thats CTD which you have explained in the post. It exists already.

Yes, but a link needs to be made between the forces, as well as increasing both of their skills in counter insurgency and counter guerrilla warfare.

The FC has racked up too many casualties to be deemed as the perfect force for the job, so they seriously need to level up in their training.

Furthermore, I don’t think the incorporation of drones to the extent listed above is done by any force within Pakistan

Yes, but a link needs to be made between the forces, as well as increasing both of their skills in counter insurgency and counter guerrilla warfare.

The FC has racked up too many casualties to be deemed as the perfect force for the job, so they seriously need to level up in their training.

Furthermore, I don’t think the incorporation of drones to the extent listed above is done by any force within Pakistan
Levies, you heard of them ?What about khasasdar ? and Frontier Constabulary and Reserve Police ?
They all fall under the same system. That is the link for above forces along with Police and CTD. So all these forces are under one structure. These are under bureaucrats. The CSP officers and the Provincial Government. So I have outlined total 5 forces, then CTD which is made up of different elements of Police. Lastly, is IB, FIA and other Intel agencies of Police and working with Police. Levies and Khasadars especially are recruited from local areas and patrol local areas.

The second structure is Frontier Corps, the FC. These are also under bureaucrats, the Federal Government. FC is also recruited locally like Rangers. This is why they make excellent guides and pathfinders.

The third is purely Military. PA, PAF, PN.

The solution for the problem you mentioned is political first, and then COIN. I have outlined all forces so you see how much man power is available in the region for COIN warfare.

@Metal 0-1

Are you aware of any cheap solutions for armour and tactical gear for the FC, and other COIN units listed by SIgnalian?
Currently, the FC are practically using no armour or helmets, and have no camouflage whatsoever.
I'd like to draw up a full dossier of everything that needs to be addressed, as I will need it when I try to eventually bring the issue to someone who is able to take action, in the future.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom