Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Florida imam gets 25 years in prison for aiding Pakistani Taliban

August 24, 2013 - Updated 14 PKT
From Web Edition
MIAMI:A 78-year-old south Florida imam was sentenced to 25 years in prison by a judge on Friday for funneling more than $50,000 to the Pakistani Taliban.

Hafiz Kahn was convicted in March on four counts of providing money and support to the group, which the United States considers a terrorist organization. He faced a maximum of 60 years in prison and prosecutors sought a 15-year sentence.

A U.S. citizen born in Pakistan, Khan was the imam at the Flagler Mosque, one of Miami's oldest mosques. He was arrested in 2011 along with two of his sons.

Prosecutors said Khan sent money to family and friends in Pakistan between 2008 and 2010 that was funneled to the Taliban and some of the funds were used to buy weapons.

Evidence against the elder Khan included bank records and wiretapped phone calls in which he solicited money and expressed support for Pakistani Taliban efforts to overthrow the Pakistani government and attack Americans.

Khan, however, said the money was intended to help support relatives, war victims and a school he had founded in his hometown in the Swat Valley in northwest Pakistan.

Prosecutors dropped charges against one of Khan's sons last year citing a lack of evidence. A judge acquitted the other son for the same reason after prosecutors finished presenting their case in court in January.

Khan testified in court that he lied about supporting the Taliban because he wanted a $1 million donation from a purported Taliban sympathizer, a man who was actually an FBI informant paid by the government.

The Pakistani Taliban was formed by extremist militants in 2007. The U.S. State Department declared it a foreign terrorist organization three years later.

The group has been connected to a December 2009 suicide attack on a U.S. military base in Khost, Afghanistan, that killed seven people. In 2011, the Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for suicide attacks that killed more than 80 people in northwestern Pakistan.(Reuters)
Florida imam gets 25 years in prison for aiding Pakistani Taliban - thenews.com.pk

Florida imam gets 25 years in prison for aiding Pakistani Taliban

August 24, 2013 - Updated 14 PKT
From Web Edition
MIAMI:A 78-year-old south Florida imam was sentenced to 25 years in prison by a judge on Friday for funneling more than $50,000 to the Pakistani Taliban.

Hafiz Kahn was convicted in March on four counts of providing money and support to the group, which the United States considers a terrorist organization. He faced a maximum of 60 years in prison and prosecutors sought a 15-year sentence.

A U.S. citizen born in Pakistan, Khan was the imam at the Flagler Mosque, one of Miami's oldest mosques. He was arrested in 2011 along with two of his sons.

Prosecutors said Khan sent money to family and friends in Pakistan between 2008 and 2010 that was funneled to the Taliban and some of the funds were used to buy weapons.

Evidence against the elder Khan included bank records and wiretapped phone calls in which he solicited money and expressed support for Pakistani Taliban efforts to overthrow the Pakistani government and attack Americans.

Khan, however, said the money was intended to help support relatives, war victims and a school he had founded in his hometown in the Swat Valley in northwest Pakistan.

Prosecutors dropped charges against one of Khan's sons last year citing a lack of evidence. A judge acquitted the other son for the same reason after prosecutors finished presenting their case in court in January.

Khan testified in court that he lied about supporting the Taliban because he wanted a $1 million donation from a purported Taliban sympathizer, a man who was actually an FBI informant paid by the government.

The Pakistani Taliban was formed by extremist militants in 2007. The U.S. State Department declared it a foreign terrorist organization three years later.

The group has been connected to a December 2009 suicide attack on a U.S. military base in Khost, Afghanistan, that killed seven people. In 2011, the Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for suicide attacks that killed more than 80 people in northwestern Pakistan.(Reuters)
Florida imam gets 25 years in prison for aiding Pakistani Taliban - thenews.com.pk

He is 78 and gets 25 years in prison isn't it impossible ... ??

I wish if he could get strict punishment .....

Khan, however, said the money was intended to help support relatives, war victims and a school he had founded in his hometown in the Swat Valley in northwest Pakistan..................

Lack of proper financial recordkeeping will get you locked up every time, from Al Capone to this poor Imam.

I wish they hang the guy by his balls till he dies of age instead of just a prison sentence. How these creeps get to live in US forget US citizenship is beyond me.

Just means he will die in prison. One time a older man got hundreds of years in prison.

Just means he will die in prison. One time a older man got hundreds of years in prison.

He will live there only for two or three years he can't live more than that ... How can his imprisonment gives lesson to others ...

He need to be dreadfully punished ...

maybe the oldman lied just to receive the million dollars?
the fbi is known to turn dumb teens into "terrorists" by brainwashing them with their undercover agents, idk whats become of the law enforcement in america lol. if he was really guilty then i hope he lives long enough to serve his miserable sentence.

If he was indeed a terrorist I am glad for his arrest but it is not uncommon in the USA and Canada that people are framed on false charges of terrorism. I witnessed a number of such cases myself while I was in Canada. Innocent people are framed on charges of terrorism and no one seems to be concerned about it. I saw atleast 8 cases, possibly 10 about innocents framed on false charges in Canada and US.

Atleast 2 of those framed were from Canada. The entire toronto 18 plot was false and innocents were simply framed on false charges of terrorism. We need to advocate our interests aggressively as China is doing already. We cannot, should not fail to protect Pakistani citizens.

Its sad that the Pakistani government sees no need to protect Pakistani citizens. Our country is in a pathetic situation today because we fail to advocate our interests before everything else.

If he was indeed a terrorist I am glad for his arrest but it is not uncommon in the USA and Canada that people are framed on false charges of terrorism. I witnessed a number of such cases myself while I was in Canada. Innocent people are framed on charges of terrorism and no one seems to be concerned about it. I saw atleast 8 cases, possibly 10 about innocents framed on false charges in Canada and US.

Atleast 2 of those framed were from Canada. The entire toronto 18 plot was false and innocents were simply framed on false charges of terrorism. We need to advocate our interests aggressively as China is doing already. We cannot, should not fail to protect Pakistani citizens.

Its sad that the Pakistani government sees no need to protect Pakistani citizens. Our country is in a pathetic situation today because we fail to advocate our interests before everything else.

Justice is taken seriously, and nobody can be as casually framed as you claim. If there is any evidence, then it must be presented in court and a verdict reached accordingly. What cases you mention must have a complete record.

For example, for the Toronto 18 case, which was actually two plots, seven people admitted their guilt, four others were found guilty, and charges against seven more were stayed or dropped, so how can anyone say they were somehow framed?

Toronto 18: Key events in the case - Canada - CBC News

Back
Top Bottom