What's new

Fixed-Wing Technology??

nightcrawler

Reaction score
Respected sir,
Can anybody explain to me what is the real significance of fixed-wing aircraft & what edge this tech has got over ther warplanes. I mean even the STOVL(short take-off vertcal landing) aircraft like F-18 has incorporated this tech including the Harriers & not to mention giant planes like SR-71. Does this fixed-wing really means that you have got urself an immovable rudder or something like that!!
Please do explain this feature attached photos will be much appreciated
Yours sincerely
Usama Khan
Chem EnGG
Pakistan
Thursday, January 29, 2009

Nightcrawler,

Thanks for your post. There are fixed wings and then there are swing wings. Fixed wing has nothing to do with fixed rudder but rather the wing is fixed to the frame.

There is another type of design----ie swing wing----examples F 14 tomcat---B1 bomber---MIG 23----messerschmitt Me p 1101----F 111.

If you have the time and if you already don't know then please read up on swing wing aircrafts first---once you know what they are---the rest will become easy to understand.

Respected sir,
Can anybody explain to me what is the real significance of fixed-wing aircraft & what edge this tech has got over ther warplanes. I mean even the STOVL(short take-off vertcal landing) aircraft like F-18 has incorporated this tech including the Harriers & not to mention giant planes like SR-71. Does this fixed-wing really means that you have got urself an immovable rudder or something like that!!
Please do explain this feature attached photos will be much appreciated
Yours sincerely
Usama Khan
Chem EnGG
Pakistan
Thursday, January 29, 2009

The term Fixed-Wing is used to differentiate what we call normally as airplane/aircraft from a HELICOPTER or TILT-Rotor or AutoGyro.

Helicopters are called ROTARY-WING AIRCRAFTs. Infact helicopters are also aircrafts.

Rotary-Wing Aircrafts have a rotor or say rotating blade/airfoil and Fixed-Wing Aircrafts have a non-rotating airfoil/wing.

Mastan, Swing-Wing Aircrafts also come under Fixed-Wing Aircraft's category.

Back
Top Bottom