Country
Bangladesh
5 deals signed with China -
bdnews24.com

5 deals signed with China
Sumon Mahbub, from Beijing, bdnews24.com

Published: 2014-06-09 17:59:32.0 BdST Updated: 2014-06-09 20:36:59.0 BdST

• China-BD.jpg

Bangladesh and China have signed five deals during a summit between Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang in Beijing.
2014-06-05 00:15:08.0

The Sonadia deep sea port is not among these agreements.

Hasina met Li at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing on Monday.

Foreign Secretary Shahidul Haque told reporters after the meeting that the two premiers had signed a total of five agreements, notes of exchange, and memoranda of understanding.

The deals are:

• An agreement on economic and technical cooperation between China and Bangladesh.

• A joint venture agreement between the China National Machinery Import and Export Corporation (CMC) and North-West Power Generation Company Limited to set up a coal-based ultracritical power plant

• Exchange of letters between the two governments on the second batch of calamity rescue equipment

• Exchange of letters on feasibility study of flood prevention and management in Bangladesh between the governments

• And an MoU between the Chinese commerce ministry and BEPZA on the creation of a Chinese economic and investment zone in Bangladesh.

The secretary said the two countries had agreed to hold further discussions on the Sonadia deep sea port.

Before the summit, Hasina was given a guard of honour at the Great Hall of the People.

Earlier on Friday, Hasina was in Kunming, the capital of Yunnan province, to attend the inaugural ceremony of the second China-South Asia Expo. She left Kunming for the Chinese capital on Sunday.

She placed wreaths at the Monument of the People's Hero to pay respects to national heroes of China that day.

Please don't worry, Mother India has given hasina permission to do this.

Seems. this thread will get lost because some posters are trolling. Please stick to the topic without doing fishy, fishy.

Any move towards China by anyone will have my full support, regardless of their political affiliation.

@eastwatch can you confirm that the deal regarding the deep sea port has been signed, as far as I know per the official press briefings there was no discussion bout the sea port but Bangladesh will continue to negotiate over the issue with China.

However, the China Harbour Engineering Company (who are going to build the sea port) have already opened an office in Dhaka more than a year ago and looks to be the most interested among all the proposers to build the project.

@eastwatch can you confirm that the deal regarding the deep sea port has been signed, as far as I know per the official press briefings there was no discussion bout the sea port but Bangladesh will continue to negotiate over the issue with China.

However, the China Harbour Engineering Company (who are going to build the sea port) have already opened an office in Dhaka more than a year ago and looks to be the most interested among all the proposers to build the project.

Thanks for asking. I have checked with other newspaper sources, but, it seems no MoU has been signed by BD and China on Sonadia Deep Seaport. Some Bengali newspapers say BD will consult with India about the matter.

My personal belief is unless India agrees to use the port for its NE and east coast ports including Kolkata, it may be uneconomic to build this multi-billion dollar port. Considering the huge investment involved, it is needless to say that huge revenue must be earned to balance the port budget.

Handling only the BD goods is not enough to earn enough money. We need Indian as well as Chinese goods to be handled. I believe, India wants to use the port, however, modalities for its use must be worked out and finalized before the design and construction start.

The Harbor Engineering Co. certainly believes this port will be built. This is why it has built its office in BD.

Thread cleaned for now. Please it civil guys. Carry on.

Thanks for asking. I have checked with other newspaper sources, but, it seems no MoU has been signed by BD and China on Sonadia Deep Seaport. Some Bengali newspapers say BD will consult with India about the matter.

My personal belief is unless India agrees to use the port for its NE and east coast ports including Kolkata, it may be uneconomic to build this multi-billion dollar port. Considering the huge investment involved, it is needless to say that huge revenue must be earned to balance the port budget.

Handling only the BD goods is not enough to earn enough money. We need Indian as well as Chinese goods to be handled. I believe, India wants to use the port, however, modalities for its use must be worked out and finalized before the design and construction start.

The Harbor Engineering Co. certainly believes this port will be built. This is why it has built its office in BD.

I'm not sure, some sources are saying that the deal could be finalized during the Chinese Vice President's visit to Dhaka later this year.

Access to Indian and Chinese goods is definitely needed which would eventually make Bangladesh an economic hub but these things also depend on other infra-structure facilities. Also, as far as I know, Chittagong's current capacity wouldn't be able to meet the local demands by 2015, so regardless of the transit, we urgently need to start the project.

Another important project is the Karnaphuli tunnel, do you know anything about its progress? China said they are interested on the project if the special economic zone dedicated to Chinese companies, is built in Chittagong. There is a deal signed for the special economic zone worth 1.2 billion USD, however, nothing is discussed about the tunnel.

Bangladesh need to come up with a USD 50-100 billion infrastructure plan, as these investments will pay for themselves due to pent up demand. I think I will start a thread on this issue. More money for the corrupt politicians and Awami chamcha's but good for Bangladesh and also turning Awami chamcha's from India towards China, which is also good for Bangladesh.

Bangladesh need to come up with a USD 50-100 billion infrastructure plan, as these investments will pay for themselves due to pent up demand. I think I will start a thread on this issue. More money for the corrupt politicians and Awami chamcha's but good for Bangladesh and also turning Awami chamcha's from India towards China, which is also good for Bangladesh.

Funny thing is BD is so small that 100 billion dollars can probably pay for all the new roads, railways, power stations,bridges,ports and airports BD will need till 2030. Of course, you would need a few 10s of billions more to maintain existing infrastructure

Back
Top Bottom