What's new

Fitting the Trans-Pacific Partnership within Japanese National Interest

And why is that? Thanks.
What’s wrong with the TPPA?

The whole thing was discuss under secrecy first of all (protecting American business, rather than welfare of the people). Malaysia have universal healthcare, if prices for drugs increase, it would put huge strain towards the government budget. Malaysian goverment don't even cover things that are too expensive. People can forgo Iphone but not medicine. With no generic competition, I have no doubt these companies will raise their prices of their product.

Thirdly, Americans can go full retard on IP/Patents. Just look at Apple suing everyone.

The fact that America wants it so bad is proof that it's no good for anyone but American businesses.
Indeed.But this fact is very very hard to "get it" by certain posters.It is simple fact-both of so-called trade agreements for Asia and Europe benefit USA corporations at the expence of national interests,people,companies of the rest of potential victims..erm i mean "willing" to join countries.But here is another fact for the OP and rest of his kind-both have no future.

Worry a little less for the businesses & a little more for yourselves...

The medical industry has a stake in the outcome, too, with credible critics saying it would raise drug prices and, according to Love's analysis, give surgeons patent protection for their procedures.
Drug price raise is OK, we dont have to worry abt fake drug any more when VN income also raise due to we can sell more products to TPP member.:pop:

What’s wrong with the TPPA?

The whole thing was discuss under secrecy first of all (protecting American business, rather than welfare of the people). Malaysia have universal healthcare, if prices for drugs increase, it would put huge strain towards the government budget. Malaysian goverment don't even cover things that are too expensive. People can forgo Iphone but not medicine. With no generic competition, I have no doubt these companies will raise their prices of their product.

Thirdly, Americans can go full retard on IP/Patents. Just look at Apple suing everyone.

I for one don't see any laughing matter on IP violation(s), however. As much as I don't agree with some of the point(s) of the TPP, I'm sure some of the hurdles can be ameliorated and any incongruities in vantage points may be aligned. I empathize with the Malaysian government's hesitancy, but I think, overall, the benefits will overpower the threats.

While I welcome any reform measures, I am skeptical that this will directly help the TPP--it will make the agricultural lobby even more defensive. In addition, I don't remember if you had posted this already, but the political machinations in the LDP seem to indicate that their negotiating position in hardening:

How will Japan’s new agriculture minister influence the TPP negotiations? | East Asia Forum

There was a rush to get this done by April, but now that appears less likely. I think a more realistic goal is by the end of the year.

While I welcome any reform measures, I am skeptical that this will directly help the TPP--it will make the agricultural lobby even more defensive. In addition, I don't remember if you had posted this already, but the political machinations in the LDP seem to indicate that their negotiating position in hardening:

How will Japan’s new agriculture minister influence the TPP negotiations? | East Asia Forum

There was a rush to get this done by April, but now that appears less likely. I think a more realistic goal is by the end of the year.
Good I hope that all disagreement between TPP members will be solved soon, so the TPP deal can come to reality in 2016. We r so tired wt cheap China's products smuggled into VN already :)

i read some think TPP will probably be done this year. any insights? thanks!
Good I hope that all disagreement between TPP members will be solved soon, so the TPP deal can come to reality in 2016. We r so tired wt cheap China's products smuggled into VN already :)
not again!:hitwall:

i read some think TPP will probably be done this year. any insights? thanks!

not again!:hitwall:

The two main barriers, from what I understand at this point in time, are a solution to Japan's agricultural sensitivities (the latest proposal I've seen is to have a long, gradual decline of Japanese import tariffs to below 9% over something like 15-20 years, but Japan wants the ability to increase its tariffs back to 20% if it feels its agricultural industry is in danger); and the other barrier is for Obama to get what's called "fast track" negotiating authority from the US Congress. What this means is that when Obama presents the TPP to Congress for ratification, Congress will only have the ability to vote yes or no, and not be able to try and modify the agreement through additional legislation. This is important, because the other members of TPP don't want to negotiate a trade deal that might be re-opened by the US Congress and modified from what was agreed upon in the negotiations.

Republicans are generally pro-trade, so I think it's likely that "fast track" powers will be granted. Japan's internal politics are a mess, due to the strong agricultural lobby, recent corruption scandals, and Abe's failure to spend any political capital on achieving any structural reform for Japan's economy. The fate of TPP seems to rest in Japan's hands at this point (unless Japan withdraws, which may save us all a lot of wasted effort).

Excellent article , Sir. There are indeed some internal issues that have delayed the TPP. I am optimistic about Hayashi because he has been pro-trade and a progressive mind , unlike his predecessor, Nishikawa, who was more interested in personal development rather than focusing on the national imperative to successfully conclude the TPP and to use influence to encourage the agriculture lobby groups to cooperate. I understand your hesitancy, but let us have some hope on Japan's ability to handle this. It will take a crafty hand to use political clout to leverage the agricultural lobby , but it can be done.

:)

You can have some napalm or Agent Orange smuggled into your city, giving your children cancer :)

Please do not start a flame in this thread, which I want to remain purely discussion based.

Please do not , i repeat, do not start any callous and vitriol talks here.

Thank You.

All I'm saying, is that if Vietnam does actually gets wealthy a preemptive nuclear strike on Hanoi and Saigon followed by 12 months of carpet bombing and shelling, then annexing what's left will be a smart economic move for China.

That's the final answer to "NiceGuy" :)

Back
Top Bottom