What's new

First Time After 1950s: Wheat Export To India To Restart This Week, India is reported

They tried to built but farmers started protests, 16 were killed before the plan was scraped, last month...................lol

Some people just don't understand the impact of modernisation and lack vision.
The creation of SEZ will uplift many backward regions, specially in poor stated of Bengal, Vihar and Orissa. Imho the government should have prceeded with the plans instead of freezing them. :tdown:

Add to that, that the lands have been divided into really small parts. Land reforms are urgently needed.

Agree on this one. Land reforms are still nowhere near due lack of political will. Eversince R. Gandhi initiated the industrial revolution in the mid eighties the green sector has been a secondary priority resulting in growing poverty and despare within the community.

Micro credits to the poorest is the solution here.

Mir,

We are getting there, and it is 300 million, still twice the population of pakistan, we reduced 5% of the poverty in the last decade itself. We have a 22% to go.
Adu,
Its still the largest single concentration anywhere on this planet. Strong economic growth will result in an incease of the GDP/PP (and certainly in PPP scale) but only for the middle and high class. There's no hoop for the 200+ million poorest of India, mostly uneducated and illdevelooped farmers who will remain poor till the end of days.
And Indian population wont get to 2 billion in a few decades.
True, the population will develop a reverse trend somewhere around 2050 and start to decrease as per most reliable studies. Thats the general trend in most developed high density countries like Japan and Russia.

The problems are RELATIE here. While the population is large, the seeds used and per hectare production of grain is ridiculously low in India, when compared with countries like Japan. As in future decades the population increases so will the productivity per hectare, and thus the ratio would be stable. And if there happens to be another green revolution,well, India would become an exporter of wheat.

Unless India introduces GM crops, modern technology of harvesting and a matured water management system there's no hope of increasing the yield or becoming a major exporter of grains, your population and domestic consumption are both on the rise.
Economic growth is resulting in increase of disposable incomes, more food with large variety is now served in middle and high classes resulting in higher consumtion.
Superirity goods like meat, rice, flower and vegitables will be on high demand; Inferiority goods like salt and pepper still be there for export.

Adu,
Its still the largest single concentration anywhere on this planet. Strong economic growth will result in an incease of the GDP/PP (and certainly in PPP scale) but only for the middle and high class. There's no hoop for the 200+ million poorest of India, mostly uneducated and illdevelooped farmers who will remain poor till the end of days.

True, the population will develop a reverse trend somewhere around 2050 and start to decrease as per most reliable studies. Thats the general trend in most developed high density countries like Japan and Russia.

Good Post, I cannot argue with it, Other than say Most of things that can be done is being done, Implementation is still a problem but more than that the problem is so enormous, millions have already been destined a slow painful and cruel life till death.

But I have to comment on one thing, Looking at the Indian condition in the late 80's and its situation, Where it stands 17 years down the line is more than commendable considering the problems it faced.

Adux,

DO not mean to be hurt your feelings or show any haterd, but i have a genuine question, I have asked so many Indian fellows, but each of them got angry rather then give me some satisfactory reply. My question is,

"Keeping in view the development and its fruits not reaching to less fortunate classes of India, and number of poor, discriminated and opressed (bit strong but realistic words), do you think it is possible to keep India as a single state for another 30 years"?

Hopefully you dont take it negative and convince me on facts that what would be the binding force to keep people togather which have different cultures, different languages, different religious and ethnic back grounds and on top of that wealth is concentrated in few hands.

"Keeping in view the development and its fruits not reaching to less fortunate classes of India, and number of poor, discriminated and opressed (bit strong but realistic words), do you think it is possible to keep India as a single state for another 30 years"?

Yes!! It'll be a single state. Reason is simple. Income distribution is at state level not national level. No state in India can complain of getting uneven share from central government. So, if there is any social movement as you contemplate it would be limited at state level which at the max would result in state government being ousted. Moreover as Industrial production rises, it would result in transition of farmers into industrial sector. Moreover, China has the highest income disparity in the world but how much has it broken China? So, I don't see any reason why it should break India.

Unless India introduces GM crops, modern technology of harvesting and a matured water management system there's no hope of increasing the yield or becoming a major exporter of grains, your population and domestic consumption are both on the rise.
Economic growth is resulting in increase of disposable incomes, more food with large variety is now served in middle and high classes resulting in higher consumtion.
Superirity goods like meat, rice, flower and vegitables will be on high demand; Inferiority goods like salt and pepper still be there for export.

Adux, MirBadshah does not tend to read the replies properly before posting again.

Neo, there has been one Green Revolution in India, which made India have surplus wheat at that time. It made India self sufficient in wheat. That was possible because of use of GM seeds, better fertilizers, etc, etc.

Now what the people are demanding is that the govt put some initiative to launch the second green revolution in India. Read about it. India can be easily a wheat exporting nation, as long as they actually follow the things you mentioned above. Agriculture, inspite of all the promisesby political parties, that they would take care of it, remains the most negligent sector in India, as you are well aware.

The problem begins with land reforms. You must understand that if 100 people have VERY VERY small pieces of land, then they cannot afford to bring in heavy machines like combines, etc to till and cut the crops. They cannot afford to use better seeds.

Thus for anything further, land reforms are the most urgently required thing.

I would not complain that you can not understand my post above........

If we talk about your post, would be please enlighten us how many farmers committed succide in 2006? Dont you think it is the biggest number of farmers succided around the world and do it makes basis for green revolution which you are dreaming?

Now come to the facts, we can study state by state, the rural population in avarage is 45-60% below poverty line, 94% of minorities can not get loans for agriculture, 93% do not have even hand pump for drinking water what to talk about tube wells, how would green revolution start?

Please put some details of your imaginative green revolution and what Indian government is doing for that, there must be a plan as you are talking, is it?

Hehe, surely you have asked many Indians in PDF about this, fear not its the best wet dream of many anti-indians i have came across :lol:

Check what kind of "opression" is happening in your country first na :rofl:

Developement and to sustain it will force the government to remove the beaureacratic hurdles, that keeps the poor being opressed by the rich.

In a capitalistic society it is poor who are genuinely expressed and government knows this more than any of us here that the need to address them by whatever means needed.

If we talk about your post, would be please enlighten us how many farmers committed succide in 2006? Dont you think it is the biggest number of farmers succided around the world and do it makes basis for green revolution which you are dreaming?

Now come to the facts, we can study state by state, the rural population in avarage is 45-60% below poverty line, 94% of minorities can not get loans for agriculture, 93% do not have even hand pump for drinking water what to talk about tube wells, how would green revolution start?

Please put some details of your imaginative green revolution and what Indian government is doing for that, there must be a plan as you are talking, is it?

I dont know why your so concerned, and felling happy; What matters to me is that as far as i know the person who comes to deliver puffed rice from village in my home is quite rich :disagree: and the beggar I meet in a train earns more than I do :disagree:

I would say the same thing to you. These problems were persistant even before the first green revolution in India. In all likelyhood, they were worse. However there was a green revolution. But perhaps you did not know that. How then was it possible?!?!?!

Maybe Govt of India was lying, or probably they bought wheat from Pakistan and passed it off as produce in India.

For some strange reason.Indian government has failed to look at the condition of its farmers.
dividing land into small parts was a brilliant move.that saved india the headaches we face in pakistan.where 2% of the population owns 40% of the agricultural land.:wall:

There is nothing wrong with 2% of the population owning 40% of the land if it creates economies of scale and so forth. I have never understood why redistributive schemes that target land ownership is more morally justified than those that target wealth in general?

But there is surly something wrong when 40% of the population is malnutritioned and 300-400 million people suffering extreme hunger, that number is almost worlds 50% hungry people.

There are African countries which do not have sufficient food because of climatic conditions, but how can world community feed the Indian people who are suffering because of inequality and corruption in their government, the solution have to be found by Indian's themselves.

Back
Top Bottom