What's new

First Project-15B Bangalore-class DDG hull : satellite pics

Maybe. But, Type 45 will do ABM, like Dutch LCF (32 SM2, 32 ESSM). Has a very advanced propulsion system, a crew of 190 (versus 325)

The ASTER-30 and the Barak-8ER have the same parameters expect for absolute speed, and that too the Barak-8 have a better lateral acceleration. So how will the Aster's do anything beyond TBM interception? The SM-2IIIB I can buy, since its Taylor made for doubling in for TBM intercepts.

Is there no way to put the 8 Nirbhay LACMs and a farther 24 more Barak 8ER into hull of the P 15B without having to reduce the number of AShMs??I mean,since ~30% of the space is kept empty,there shouldn't be any problem in installing the VLS units for these said missiles,no??One could simply take out those VLS units in future in case IN needs to stuff that space with something else.

In short,would it be possible for P 15B DDGs to carry a load of 56 (32+24) Barak 8ERs,32 VL Mica,16 Brahmos/Brahmos 2 AShMs and 8-10 rounds of Nirbhay LACMs without having to redesign the super structure,given the amount of space that's left empty is used ??

Thanks.

Lol, kyun bhai, floating arsenal taiyar krani hai.

Brother, 32 LR-SAM is more than enough, and yes there seems to be enough space for 2*8 more LR-SAM. Beyond this trying to fit in more will not be possible with the Kolkata's design.

Lol, kyun bhai, floating arsenal taiyar krani hai.

Brother, 32 LR-SAM is more than enough, and yes there seems to be enough space for 2*8 more LR-SAM. Beyond this trying to fit in more will not be possible with the Kolkata's design.

Well,too bring them closer to Arleigh Burke Flight II DDGs,which,if I'm not wrong has 96 Mk 41 VLS units onboard.Do you have any idea about the missile load??

And by the way, I wasn't talking about Kolkata but the P 15B.From the pictures,it seems to be somewhat bigger.

Well,too bring them closer to Arleigh Burke Flight II DDGs,which,if I'm not wrong has 96 Mk 41 VLS units onboard.Do you have any idea about the missile load??

And by the way, I wasn't talking about Kolkata but the P 15B.From the pictures,it seems to be somewhat bigger.

Only if we decide to go with more compact propulsion and a contiguous VLU farm like the 2 rows of 4*8 cells on the fore deck, don't see that happening anytime soon.

For what its worth, the AB's are scary good because of the LAMs and the SM-3s, the latter we don't have an equivalent to lest a decade down the line someone comes up with a naval variant of the AD-1/2. Also the Barak-8ER itself may exist but whether it will find a place on the IN's ships is not known. Furthermore there is still considerable confusion on some parameters, like the max interception altitude for the Barak-8, with some articles stating 16000 meters and the DRDO infographic stating 20000 meters, need some clarity on these matters but alas we don't have a feed for that.

http://www.mazagondock.gov.in/newsite2010/pdfs/sb_pmt_aug13/Tender_no_1600000114.pdf
Tender document of P15B.
Check page no 10-11 for weapon LAUNCH MODULE numbers. 8-)
So, it will be
8*2 - BrahMos / Nirbhay
16*1 - SRSAM
16*2 - Barak 8 ER
2 - AK 630 M

@Penguin @sancho please comment on sensors.

48 LR-SAM or at least 48 SAM in the least.

OH! And 2 Mareech launchers, so the Mareech torpedo counter measures system is a go.

Last edited:
I can't look inside Kolkata but any missile rounds carried internally that are not reloaded somehow below decks must come on deck somewhere and must be moved to the appropriate position to be lowered vertically into the VLU. How would Kolkata remove spent canister and load new canister while at sea? She's not like a carrier and doesn't come equipped with the same kind of ordnance handling equipment (of which one would incidentally likely see some external evidence e.g. an ordnance hatch, a jackstay).

I really do not see INS Deepak swinging over its crane while it is doing underway RAS at sea. Not in the last place because of the length of the crane and hence the narrow distance the ships would have to keep. But also, picture her attempting to reload the rear VLU. Position keeping (not just distance) would be a nightmare. INS Aditya would suffer the same issues of distance and position keeping, although she seems to have a potentially longer and articulated crane, which may be more suited so reacting to sea motion. And INS JYOTI doesn't carry a cargo handling crane at all (although it does have a starboardside crane for its boats).

And what you have described is under best sea conditions. Just spoke to my uncle from the IN, who is now into ship building. He says, "Practically impossible and logisitically nighmarish in high seas"

Only if we decide to go with more compact propulsion and a contiguous VLU farm like the 2 rows of 4*8 cells on the fore deck, don't see that happening anytime soon.

For what its worth, the AB's are scary good because of the LAMs and the SM-3s, the latter we don't have an equivalent to lest a decade down the line someone comes up with a naval variant of the AD-1/2. Also the Barak-8ER itself may exist but whether it will find a place on the IN's ships is not known. Furthermore there is still considerable confusion on some parameters, like the max interception altitude for the Barak-8, with some articles stating 16000 meters and the DRDO infographic stating 20000 meters, need some clarity on these matters but alas we don't have a feed for that.

Well,the P 15B doesn't have to be as good as the AB!!I just say that if a farther 24 VLS units for Barak 8 and 8 cell LACM units could be fitted on the aft section,then it would be really good.I wonder how many more time it would take our NDB to take notice on what's happening world wide.Damn,the Mk 41 VLS is here for many decades,many navies world wide use it and our NDB never gave it a thought!!They really suck when it comes to space managements.

Well,the P 15B doesn't have to be as good as the AB!!I just say that if a farther 24 VLS units for Barak 8 and 8 cell LACM units could be fitted on the aft section,then it would be really good.I wonder how many more time it would take our NDB to take notice on what's happening world wide.Damn,the Mk 41 VLS is here for many decades,many navies world wide use it and our NDB never gave it a thought!!They really suck when it comes to space managements.

From the tender details posted by @Agent_47 the Bs will have 48 SAM VLU cells (Specifics unknown) so we're getting closer on the count, same 16 cells for AShMs or a mix of the same and LAMs, 2 Mareech anti-torp decoy launchers (active and towed), these are the details that stood out.

And what you have described is under best sea conditions. Just spoke to my uncle from the IN, who is now into ship building. He says, "Practically impossible and logisitically nighmarish in high seas"

Try using an off-board crane to move live munitions on your ship at sea state 5, the captain would likely drown you! :o:

@Penguin

The MDL tender for the ship's model confirms that two launchers as part of the Mareech ATDS will be present on the ship, fully integrated, with active and towed decoys.

AND, 48 cells for SAMs (no specifics as to which, most probably LR-SAM, nothing about SR-SAM or the Maitri)

4 AK-630s

16 cells for AShMs and LAMs.

Last edited:
From the tender details posted by @Agent_47 the Bs will have 48 SAM VLU cells (Specifics unknown) so we're getting closer on the count, same 16 cells for AShMs or a mix of the same and LAMs, 2 Mareech anti-torp decoy launchers (active and towed), these are the details that stood out.

In my opinion,a load of 48 MRSAMs and 16 AShMs are a bit too low for a "futuristic" DDG and that too a "8000 tonner".For a DDG of the size and tonnage of P 15B,a reasonable weapons load out would be 56-64 VLS for LRSAMs+32 QR SAMs+16 AShMs+8 LACMs.I mean just look at the size of the ships!!They are ~153 meter long for crying out loud!!Is it too much to ask for a better space management to accommodate a more reasonable weapon load out suitable for the size??

@Penguin

The MDL tender confirms that two launchers as part of the Mareech ATDS will be present on the ship, fully integrated, with active and towed decoys.

AND, 48 cells for SAMs (no specifics as to which, most probably LR-SAM, nothing about SR-SAM or the Maitri)

4 AK-630s

16 cells for AShMs and LAMs.

Kindly provide source for claim.

48 LR-SAM or at least 48 SAM in the least.

OH! And 2 Mareech launchers, so the Mareech torpedo counter measures system is a go.

What is AB?

In my opinion,a load of 48 MRSAMs and 16 AShMs are a bit too low for a "futuristic" DDG and that too a "8000 tonner".For a DDG of the size and tonnage of P 15B,a reasonable weapons load out would be 56-64 VLS for LRSAMs+32 QR SAMs+16 AShMs+8 LACMs.I mean just look at the size of the ships!!They are ~153 meter long for crying out loud!!Is it too much to ask for a better space management to accommodate a more reasonable weapon load out suitable for the size??

Ask the NDB, they set the criteria! :p:

What is AB?

The Big Baby AEGIS ships of the mighty USN.

@Omega007 Do you feel like crying?

If you do, and if you know why you should cry, read the tender details. You might be willing to accept the 48 LR-SAM after that as opposed to what you might spot as a glaring error which needs to be fixed.

Ask the NDB, they set the criteria! :p:

The Big Baby AEGIS ships of the mighty USN.

@Omega007 Do you feel like crying?

If you do, and if you know why you should cry, read the tender details. You might be willing to accept the 48 LR-SAM after that as opposed to what you might spot as a glaring error which needs to be fixed.

Nope,I feel like getting an urge of killing somebody at the NDB with my bloody teeth!! :D

By the way,you a Bengali??

Nope,I feel like getting an urge of killing somebody at the NDB with my bloody teeth!! :D

Lemurs are not found in Bengal.

I see, you didn't notice the issue then, when you do you might actually weep.

Back
Top Bottom