What's new

Fiji wants to replace Pacific allies with China

no_name

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Fiji wants to replace Pacific allies with China

SUVA (AFP) – Fiji's military leader Voreqe Bainimarama wants to ditch traditional ties with Australia, New Zealand and the United States, and align his Pacific Island nation with China, it was reported Wednesday.

Speaking to Fijivillage News website during a visit to China, the self-appointed prime minister said China was the one country that understands the reforms he is trying to implement.

Bainimarama has had a fractious relationship with his neighbours since seizing power in a 2006 coup.

Fiji has been suspended from the 16-nation Pacific Islands Forum and the Commonwealth and has been hit with sanctions by Australia, New Zealand and the United States as well as the European Union.

Bainimarama said he was prepared to trade with regional powerhouses Australia and New Zealand but at a political level it made more sense to align with China.

China "is the only nation that can help assist Fiji in its reforms because of the way the Chinese think. They think outside the box. What they want to do they do, they are visionary in what they do," he told the website.

"I think we need to forget about the (Pacific) Forum, about Australia and New Zealand. Let's maintain the trade but forget about the politics."

Bainimarama said Fiji needed to take advantage of its "understanding" with China to see how Beijing can assist with Fiji's development.

"We need infrastructure, we need water, we need electricity. Australia and New Zealand and America, none of those nations are going to provide that. We know that now because of their policies towards us so let's forget about these nations."

Since the 2006 bloodless coup, Bainimarama has ignored international demands for an immediate return to democratic elections.

His response has been to tear up the constitution, sack the judiciary, tighten controls on the news media, saying he wants to reform the voting system and develop a new constitution before returning to democracy.

He also told a recent meeting of delegates from Pacific island nations that they need to "break the shackles" of their colonial past.

Fiji wants to replace Pacific allies with China - Yahoo! News

The start of the multi-polar world. As China grows in statue and economic might, it becomes a viable alternative to the west. Mind you this Bainimarama probably wouldn't have sought out China if he wasn't a pariah with Aus and NZ.

Last edited:
Don't know enough about Fiji to form a solid opinion. If you put a gun to my head, I would probably have to guess that the Fijians are fed up with Aussie nagging. It is just another way of telling them to buzz off.

every man who does a coup will get china's help coz its the only great power that supports "power of a single man" over "power of the people".

Actually I don't think China cares about the type of government a country has as long as it is not hostile and willing to trade. Chinese government have diplomatic relation with all kinds of governments. Western democratic governments, however, only deal with those that share similar values. There are plenty of exceptions to this though.

So if you are a dictator, the number of country you can cozy up to is limited.

Last edited:
every man who does a coup will get china's help coz its the only great power that supports "power of a single man" over "power of the people".

The article makes no mention of China's response or whether it is willing to help Fuji. Carry "the China will support any and every despot" cliche if you want but it doesn't make it true.

I think this is just reasonable, china is developing country. It's in the same stage as fuji, for us it's important to share our experiences.

whats so strange in here ?? If Fiji is thrown out of commonwealth and pacific island nations forum what do you expct it to do ?? it is like a stranger in its own region..why wouldnt it align itself with some one who is willing to help, when you have no options left. China as it is..ready to help any nation ready to align with it ,which is a rare case in itself...so i dont see any reason, why china would not welcome this fijian move with open arms and hanging tongue.

now u.s will start to find the nations near fiji to counter china.

I think you are confusing dictatorship with authoritarianism. As far as I know, the president of China adheres to the wills of the communist party.

That was actually the American policy back in the 60-70s,especially with the neighboring nations like Cuba ,Nicaragua etc.,it has very good advantages actually.

Actually I don't think China cares about the type of government a country has as long as it is not hostile and willing to trade. Chinese government have diplomatic relation with all kinds of governments. Western democratic governments, however, only deal with those that share similar values. There are plenty of exceptions to this though.

So if you are a dictator, the number of country you can cozy up to is limited.

Sorry man but couldnt disagree with you more. Western democratic governments also have relations with all kinds of governments. Its all about the personal interest for them just like it is for China. Need i go through Nicaragua, Egypt, Pakistan etc etc. However one thing which differs China and these western governments is that the first one does not falsely boast about how it is the champion of democracy and the "free people".

Sorry man but couldnt disagree with you more. Western democratic governments also have relations with all kinds of governments. Its all about the personal interest for them just like it is for China. Need i go through Nicaragua, Egypt, Pakistan etc etc. However one thing which differs China and these western governments is that the first one does not falsely boast about how it is the champion of democracy and the "free people".
Yeah but I said there are exceptions...

Lolz good stuff.... wise of Fiji.

The reason the fiji government wants to ally with China is because the government held a coup and outed a democratically elected government and refuses to hold elections, and the country is now under rule from a military dictator who kills opposition leaders and censors the media.

Fiji was suspended from the pacific nations forum and the commonwealth nations for this and no country in the pacific will deal with the fiji government until they hold elections and stop murdering people.

Back
Top Bottom