Reaction score
Country
China
Farnborough 2016: Armed AVIC Harrier Hawk breaks cover

Charles Forrester, Farnborough
- IHS Jane's Defence Weekly

13 July 2016

1630082_-_main.jpg

AVIC's Harrier Hawk in its armed configuration, showing hardpoints and electro-optic/infrared (EO/IR) turret. Source: IHS/Charles Forrester

An armed variant of AVIC's Harrier Hawk unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) has been displayed by the company at the Farnborough International Airshow 2016.

The aircraft features a tricycle undercarriage and is powered by a turboprop engine and three-bladed propeller. AVIC representatives were unable to reveal much about the aircraft, however, they did disclose that the system first flew in 2015, and has an endurance of 16 hours. The ground control station is housed in two truck containers.

At present, the UAV is operating in an unarmed version in China for use by military and commercial operators, with the platform featuring an electro-optical (EO) turret at the rear of the aircraft. The armed version of the UAV has four underwing hardpoints and a centreline fuselage hardpoint. The EO turret is a modular feature, with foreign systems potentially being integrated into the platform by operators.

According to the AVIC website, the unarmed version has a maximum take-off weight of 700 kg and can carry a payload of up to 100 kg.

Want to read more? For analysis on this article and access to all our insight content, please enquire about our subscription options ihs.com/contact

To read the full article, Client Login

(192 of 261 words)

To admit, I'm a but surprised since with the GJ-1/WD-1, the Ch-3, -4 or even -5 there are already several more suitable UAV/UCAVs available.

For me this looks a bit like a lame attempt to gain some export orders .... but with not a real prospect.

Deino

To admit, I'm a but surprised since with the GJ-1/WD-1, the Ch-3, -4 or even -5 there are already several more suitable UAV/UCAVs available.

For me this looks a bit like a lame attempt to gain some export orders .... but with not a real prospect.

Deino
Those men in our publicity department are stupid. ——Jiang Zemin

I actually like the retro look, :-) though I admit that is negative influence in selling points. Is this a low price alternative to the likes of CH-3/4/5 series?

According to the AVIC website, the unarmed version has a maximum take-off weight of 700 kg and can carry a payload of up to 100 kg.

Want to read more? For analysis on this article and access to all our insight content, please enquire about our subscription options ihs.com/contact

To read the full article, Client Login

(192 of 261 words)

Did I read this right? 100kg Payload? That's nothing consider a single Hellfire Missile weighted 60kg alone........

MQ-9 can carry 1000kg. While MQ-1 (90s technology) can carry 150kgs....Not to mention the X-47B having 2000kg payload...

Did I read this right? 100kg Payload? That's nothing consider a single Hellfire Missile weighted 60kg alone........

MQ-9 can carry 1000kg. While MQ-1 (90s technology) can carry 150kgs....Not to mention the X-47B having 2000kg payload...

The statement said " the unarmed version has a maximum take-off weight of 700 kg and can carry a payload of up to 100 kg."

Probably with different engine from militarized version. And having a payload of 100 kg for a small tiny UAV of 700 kg take off weight class is not bad at all. How do you expect a 600 Kg (with-out payload) class UAV to carry 1,000 Kg pay load?

The statement said " the unarmed version has a maximum take-off weight of 700 kg and can carry a payload of up to 100 kg."

Probably with different engine from militarized version. And having a payload of 100 kg for a small tiny UAV of 700 kg take off weight class is not bad at all. How do you expect a 600 Kg (with-out payload) class UAV to carry 1,000 Kg pay load?

I can't blame you, all your postings are degrading anything that is Chinese.

The UAV is not 600KG empty. The UAV have a Max take Off weight of 700KG, it's real weight is probably about 4-500kg (with 1-200kg Fuel and 100kg Payload)

Of course it is stupid to ask why a 700Kg drones cannot carry 1000kg payload. The problem is, it would make this the same class as MQ-1 (A drone being phased out by the US military) which can be said as Gen 1 of Attack Drones

The question I raise is not about how come it have that low payload against its take off weight, rather it's how come China going back to build something like this, this is like the US pushes out another MQ-1-like Design 20 years after the US release the MQ-1.

It would not be suitable in any class of drone that uses today, it is too large for recon drone, too small for attack drone. Exactly the same reason why US ditches MQ-1 and went with RQ-4 and MQ-9.

I'd take a manned aircraft like Textron Airland Scorpion over this.

kinda reminds me of Northrup Gruman Firebird

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom