What's new

Farhan to leave Pakistan, play in US

UmarJustice

New Recruit

Reaction score
KARACHI: Farhan Mehboob, one of Pakistan’s top squash players, has decided to leave Pakistan and play in the United States due to non-supportive attitude of the Pakistan Squash Federation (PSF).

His father Mehbub Khan told ‘The News’ that after playing the PSA World Championship next month Farhan would leave for the US. “With its current ineffective policies and discriminatory attitude the PSF cannot even produce players who can reach top ten in the world, what to talk of producing a world champion,” he said.

The current administration of PSF, he added, was responsible for making top players leave the country. “There is a long list of players who opted for playing outside Pakistan just because the federation did not treat them well. Farhan’s brother Waqar has already left for the US,” he added.

Mehbub was of the opinion that the failure of the policy makers of the federation was evident from the decision of holding international tournaments at a neutral venue of United Arab of Emirates. “This is a bad idea and eliminates all hopes of international players visiting Pakistan. Once it happens, no country will ever come to Pakistan,” he added.

He further said that Farhan had realised that he had no future in Pakistan because the federation was not serious in promoting the game.

Farhan, ranked 105th, had told this scribe in an interview that he had been victimised and that the federation was favouring junior players. “I am not going to play in Pakistan and will surely go to the US where my brother and talented player Waqar are already playing owing to the same issues I am facing here with the federation,” he added.

Recently, Farhan was denied visa by Kuwait to take part in an international event.

Mehbub held the federation responsible for that mess too. “The federation was not pursuing this visa thing seriously, which resulted in an insult to our players, including Farhan. It is incompetence of the federation because otherwise Pakistan’s squash does not deserve this treatment,” he added.

Farhan won the British Junior U-15 Open title in January 2002, and also clinched the Asian Junior U-19 Championship crown.

By the end of 2008, Farhan had soared 32 places in the PSA world rankings to finish the year in the top-20 for the first time.

And after a 2009 campaign that included quarter-final berths in the KL Open and the Hurghada International in Egypt, Farhan recorded a career-high world No16 ranking in May.

Farhan to leave Pakistan, play in US - thenews.com.pk

Anyone would have done the same. There are no opportunities for squash anymore in the most successful squash nation on earth.

I do not Blame him . Blame is on the System which forced a player to change his nationality to continue his passion for Squash .

Good.....

Just yesterday snooker federation arranged players tour in worldcup in "Apni madad aap" manner as no funds were released by sports board.

I do not Blame him . Blame is on the System which forced a player to change his nationality to continue his passion for Squash .

My little brother has a squash court in his residential school and is pretty good at it. He has won a few internal and intra college trophies etc, but he sees NO career in Squash, just because there is nothing out there.

My little brother has a squash court in his residential school and is pretty good at it. He has won a few internal and intra college trophies etc, but he sees NO career in Squash, just because there is nothing out there.

In India Its Cricket or No Sports unless you are from a poor family and Want a "Government Job" . This is How Indian Govt Support players of National Level . If i am from a Middle class family and have bigger Aspirations Than a Govt. Job and I want anything Else apart from Cricket , I should Quit that Idea ......

This is why even after having a Billion People India Sucks at Sports ......

If I am not wrong Pakistan was one of the squash superpower with likes of jamsher Khan

The most successful squash and field hockey nation on earth. Good luck playing both now in Pakistan. One of my friend is playing hockey in Adelaide Australia just because he couldn't do it in Pakistan. People say its terrorism the biggest threat to Pakistan, i say its the braindrain.

The most successful squash and field hockey nation on earth. Good luck playing both now in Pakistan. One of my friend is playing hockey in Adelaide Australia just because he couldn't do it in Pakistan. People say its terrorism the biggest threat to Pakistan, i say its the braindrain.

Or maybe brain drain because of terrorism :undecided:

I would support him to move to any country that supports his Talent and allows him to develop his game. In my mind he will be a Pakistani player no matter which country he is representing. Maybe one day when he is at the top of his game he will return to Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom