What's new

Fake Chinese Electronics In U.S. Military Supply Chain!

OrionHunter

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
The U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee has found that counterfeit electronic parts are finding their way into the U.S. military supply chain at an alarming rate. The Senate released a report that claims that on 1,800 separate occasions, the U.S. military or contractors have purchased electronics materials for defense systems that were either fake or poorly recycled.

Screen%20shot%202011-11-07%20at%209.47.11%20AM.png

This photo of Chinese chip manufacturing was found in one of the computers at VisionTech’s offices.
Government investigators concluded that it portrayed the production of counterfeit chips for the company.

Led by Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., and Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., the committee staff traced the DoD supply chain back to its start for more than 90% of faulty electronics in military equipment came from China.

Electronic waste is shipped from the United States and the rest of the world to Hong Kong, where the raw materials then are often transferred to mainland China. At that point, as the Senate report says, the electronics are broken down and refurbished with no quality controls, including:

“burned off of old circuit boards, washed in the river, and dried on city sidewalks… part of this process includes removing any indentifying marks, including date codes and part numbers. Once the old part is made to look new, it is shipped to the Chinese city of Shenzhen. From China, the counterfeit part makes its way through the DoD supply chain, often passing through four or five subcontractors before a prime contractor has integrated it onto a weapon system.”

‘Made in China’: U.S. Military Finding Fake Chinese Electronics in Gear | TheBlaze.com
Counterfeit chips plague Pentagon weapons systems | iWatch News by The Center for Public Integrity

Think again if you ever contemplate buying Chinese stuff! My Chinese made iPhone is dead as a dodo just one week after I purchased it! Jeeeez! What an idiot I am! :fie: Penny wise, pound foolish! :tdown:

Old news, the CN are (in)famous for their well renowned cheap handiwork !

I never buy made in china product. I ask the shopkeeper if it is chinese i don't buy.

i have original China's product. made in Republic of china aka taiwan. HTC HD2. I didn't buy Nokia coz it has made in china tag.

The question is why are these DOD contractors being so cheap and sourcing electronics from Ali baba where 90% of them ought to be fakes?

I don't think Nokia, iPhone... made in china meaning they are China's goods.
But China has produced a lot of fake goods look very similar to genuine goods.
Careful when buying...

The question is why are these DOD contractors being so cheap and sourcing electronics from Ali baba where 90% of them ought to be fakes?

I read an article on Dailytech (i think...it was a while back) where a single mom with no relevant qualifications became a chip supplier to DoD firms quite easily. To supply the chips, all she did was search for the chip's ID on google where she found chinese vendors selling the chips in bulk. All she had to do was click to order and supply them to the DoD firm/contractor without even needing to understand what the chip was meant for.

Man... electronics and a lot of other are cheap because we have China manufacturing a lot of them. I wouldn't have been able to buy any computer if not for their manufacturing. As much as I despise their holier than thou attitude, I admire their hard work.
So caveat emptor. Look at the quality of the item you are buying. If you don't have any quality guarantees, don't buy.

I read an article on Dailytech (i think...it was a while back) where a single mom with no relevant qualifications became a chip supplier to DoD firms quite easily. To supply the chips, all she did was search for the chip's ID on google where she found chinese vendors selling the chips in bulk. All she had to do was click to order and supply them to the DoD firm/contractor without even needing to understand what the chip was meant for.

Good one.:cheesy:

I never buy made in china product. I ask the shopkeeper if it is chinese i don't buy.

i have original China's product. made in Republic of china aka taiwan. HTC HD2. I didn't buy Nokia coz it has made in china tag.

LOL you not even a good liar nokia made in china ??????????:rofl:oh boy they overrated you guys by giving the score of 81

Man... electronics and a lot of other are cheap because we have China manufacturing a lot of them. I wouldn't have been able to buy any computer if not for their manufacturing. As much as I despise their holier than thou attitude, I admire their hard work.
So caveat emptor. Look at the quality of the item you are buying. If you don't have any quality guarantees, don't buy.
They are mostly MNC's with plants in CN, none of the local brands except ZTE/Huawei produce quality hardware !

They are mostly MNC's with plants in CN, none of the local brands except ZTE/Huawei produce quality hardware !
Agreed in case of electronics. Even then you do need someone to produce them. If you take the case of other manufacturing activities, its mostly the Chinese companies. Mass production is not easy either!

Strange thing, I never see Made in India when I travel around the world. No matter in China, In Thai or in the UK.

the PCs the indians use mostly are made in China.

I recall reading a similar article about her. That "single Mom" made a whole lot of money by ignoring all the regulations and rules she possibly could.

While DOD is worried about buying Chinese electronics with secret spy chips inside, I'm mainly worried about product quality. The Chinese steel that reaches the U.S., for example, is often of shockingly poor quality. I try to buy my steel products from Indonesia instead. And the fasteners! Screws, bolts, etc. are classed by quality and strength. Chinese manufacturers all-too-routinely stamp higher-grade marks than their products merit. If you try using them in critical systems like rivets on an airliner's wing you're just asking for trouble - you can be sure that the problems China has producing indigenous aircraft relate to such issues.

Back
Top Bottom