What's new

Facebook Rolls Out a New Plan To Crush Twitter

ashok321

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Facebook Rolls Out ‘FB Newswire,’ a New Plan To Crush Twitter - TIME

Facebook launched FB Newswire, which aims to be journalists' social media resource for breaking news

Facebook announced a new service Thursday designed to make it the primary social media resource for journalists covering breaking news, a direct shot across the bow at Twitter.

FB Newswire is a tool accessible via Facebook that features an updated stream of newsworthy and embeddable public content. This includes photos, videos, and status updates about categories ranging from hard news to lifestyle to celebrity to sports. Journalists can grab that content to use it in their own stories across the web.

Newswire is powered by Storyful, bought by Rupert Murdoch’s NewsCorp for $25 million in 2013, which promised users that it will be vetting all of the content it is providing.

Thus far, FB Newswire has provided content on stories ranging from Kim Kardashian’s views on the Armenian massacre:

Twitter, one of Facebook’s primary competitors, has come to be known as a major breaking news resource for the media. It has built that news-friendly model with strategic hires and tool integration.

Interesting concept.

I wonder, will they hire their own journalists, or will they sign up other media's journalists?

In the first case, how are they different from any other media company?
In the second case, why would a media company pay their journalists to post news on Storyful?

Twitter's just a 'stream of consciousness', not a proper news channel, so media companies probably don't mind their journalists spouting off.

Interesting concept.

I wonder, will they hire their own journalists, or will they sign up other media's journalists?

In the second case, why would a media company pay their journalists to post news on Storyful?

Twitter's just a 'stream of consciousness', not a proper news channel, so media companies probably don't mind their journalists spouting off.

Huge legal ramifications.

Huge legal ramifications.

I just noticed they are owned by NewsCorp, so they are probably covered by their legal umbrella.

Basically, it seems FB is providing an official media channel to NewsCorp.

Interesting concept.

FB Newswire is a tool accessible via Facebook that features an updated stream of newsworthy and embeddable public content. I guess it will be based on information being shared by the users. With people from all walks of life, including journalists and celebrities, FB is already a sound data base/Information source and by using updated streaming as mentioned in above article, this will be transformed into a social news source.

FB Newswire is a tool accessible via Facebook that features an updated stream of newsworthy and embeddable public content. I guess it will be based on information being shared by the users. With people from all walks of life, including journalists and celebrities, FB is already a sound data base/Information source and by using updated streaming as mentioned in above article, this will be transformed into a social news source.

But the content will be verified before being posted.

There are only two ways: either you restrict posting to 'trusted' people, or you have an army of editors filtering content.

There are only two ways: either you restrict posting to 'trusted' people, or you have an army of editors filtering content.
The way FB have been operating so far i think it will involve editors before the information from users are made official announcements via Steam! Whatever it is i look forward to it as it may well turn out to be a a good information source considering the mammoth pool of users!

So this is nothing but 'controlled social news'. Nothing open about it.

Also, journalists will be under scrutiny to not give 'their opinion' but the 'media outlet opinion' since its cannot be said away as personal opinion. This can result in multiple law suits. Even if its Newscorp.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom